Why is bread so bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• Brendajo510
    Options
    Another thing you should look at regarding bread is;

It add's extra to a meal.

My mrs goes crazy at me when i have 2-3 slices of bread with my dinner, or with my soup because on a calorie level that is 300 extra calories. ( i now dont eat bread ) - but a meal that should be 300 calories, then becomes 600.

about the whole carbs thing, probally best if you google that, the whole, simple/complex carbs etc.

300 calories is a snack. Adding the bread makes it a meal. (especially if you put some butter on that bread, yum!)

Not if you’re short and your goal is less than 1200... (my goal is not that low but I'm only 5'1 and it feels that low sometimes)

Short people problems... :grumble:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Another thing you should look at regarding bread is;

It add's extra to a meal.

My mrs goes crazy at me when i have 2-3 slices of bread with my dinner, or with my soup because on a calorie level that is 300 extra calories. ( i now dont eat bread ) - but a meal that should be 300 calories, then becomes 600.

about the whole carbs thing, probally best if you google that, the whole, simple/complex carbs etc.

300 calories is a snack. Adding the bread makes it a meal. (especially if you put some butter on that bread, yum!)

Not if you’re short and your goal is less than 1200... (my goal is not that low but I'm only 5'1 and it feels that low sometimes)

Short people problems... :grumble:

I'm a little bit taller, 5'4" and eat 2000 calories.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Bread is perfectly fine. Gluten is perfectly fine unless you have an allergy to it or can't process it.
  • bitshred
    bitshred Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would suggest all here to read the book "wheat belly". Modern bread is terrible for you, and whole grains are even worse.
    I am just learning all of this now. One of the main reasons is the glycemic index of bread. Bread makes you hungrier, bread makes you crave more foods. It is a major contributor to the diabetes/obesity epidemic.
    I say "modern bread" because wheat has changed dramatically due to science, it's not your grandmother's wheat anymore.
    Gluten is in so many products and has a wide variety of ill health effects on people that you often don't know it's caused by gluten until you go gluten free.

However, I believe everything in moderation. I avoid bread (because all it does is make me hungrier, and I know it does you too), but if I want a bagel - I eat a bagel, or some pizza, sandwich, whatever. It's just not a major staple in my diet.