Does anyone else have a problem with too high of heart rate?

Options
Hi there,

How do you manage your heart rate while working out? I've done a lot of reading that suggests anything over 85% of your max heart rate can be dangerous.

I am 21 so my max heart rate is 199.
I often see my heart rate between 186-190.

Is this dangerous? Is there a way to monitor it while working out?

Thanks!

Replies

• eugovogue
    Options
    I'm 22 going on 23 so I suppose my max HR is near yours. I try not to go above 175 bpm. When I first started working out way back when my target was as low as 119 bpm.

I sustain 175 when I sprint or jog really fast, and when I want to slow it down I just start walking at a slower pace. For me this is going from 6.5 on the treadmill to 3.5. On the elliptical it means going from 11 to like 6.5

If you want your heart rate to get slower, I suppose YOU just have to go slower too. Maybe someone with more experience will reply and give you a more thought out answer.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The 220-age is just a rough guideline, to know your actual max HR there are tests to do. and for women the 220-age is less accurate than for men. I have a friend that had her max HR tested and cam out to 205, she was 32 at the time, so the calculation would estimate 188 (220-32), but hers was 17 higher.

That said working out in the high range for short periods of time isn't unhealthy, if your heart is healthy.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure your max heart rate is higher than 199.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    In for replies because I have a similar issue (actually I'm around your same age and my HR hovers right around the same place, weird). I posted something about it a while ago, and got some good responses, but I honestly don't remember what everyone said :blushing:

Do you have a naturally high resting heart rate, too? I do, so it makes sense that my heart rate would get higher than most during exercise, but I still get concerned about it sometimes. I mean, I can keep my HR lower, but that means not giving it my all during workouts and I don't like to do that :grumble:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    do you know what your resting heart rate is? that would be more indicative of a possible problem.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In for replies because I have a similar issue (actually I'm around your same age and my HR hovers right around the same place, weird). I posted something about it a while ago, and got some good responses, but I honestly don't remember what everyone said :blushing:

Do you have a naturally high resting heart rate, too? I do, so it makes sense that my heart rate would get higher than most during exercise, but I still get concerned about it sometimes. I mean, I can keep my HR lower, but that means not giving it my all during workouts and I don't like to do that :grumble:

are you hypertensive?
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options

It's nice to have an opinion. It's even better to have an INFORMED one. See:

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/measuring/heartrate.html

Where it states that your maximum heart rate can be estimated by subtracting your age from 220. In her case, 220 - 21 = 199
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm only 22 and have experienced similar numbers as yourself. I always thought it was pretty weird when i watched my friends and family. I would ride the bike in the gym for not even 5 minutes and it would jump to 180+

I think over time you that you keep working on your fitness it will surely get better

Can't comment on the dangers of it, all I know is i have the same problem even though i use to play competitive tennis 3+ hours a day for a couple years
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    As someone who had a heart issue out of nowhere last year, I strongly advise you to talk to your physician. I now wear a watch (the MIO Alpha) that can monitor my HR without the need for a chest strap. I do not think being in the 190's is safe. Please call your Dr or ask for a recommendation to a good cardiologist for advice. Good luck!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have a very high heart rate (will go above 205 during intervals for example). I worked out with a trainer for several months this year and saw a nutritionist and both of them said 1) some people have naturally high heart rate and 2) mine is probably higher because of lack of conditioning and eating too many carbs/sugars. After training with the trainer for several months and reducing my carb intake, my heart rate lowered but was still much higher than most people. After a few months of training i usually didn't go above 195 in an intense interval workout.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Where it states that your maximum heart rate can be estimated by subtracting your age from 220. In her case, 220 - 21 = 199
    Except that I know for a FACT that 220-age is a very rough approximation with a HUGE standard deviation, that is generally inaccurate for most people, especially females. My opinion is very well informed, thank you. I can think of roughly a dozen different heart rate equations off the top of my head, none of which are as accurate as VO2 Max testing.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    You really need medical advice as to what hr is sustainable for you. For people that are not fit a high heart rate can be extremely dangerous. That said, many people who are fit and have a track record of sustaining a high hr with no problems routinely train above at or above 90% max hr. I use a heart rate monitor during every workout. When I do run intervals, usually twice a week, I will hit 90 to 95% in each interval (15 to 20 per day). On any steady run where I push I will sustain over 85% for the duration of the run. And it's only slightly lower with mountain biking. I heard a heart expert talking on the radio who said that for individuals who are healthy and fit and have demonstrated that they can safely exercise at high heart rates the ideal heart exercise will cycle hr up and down repeatedly (as with intervals) with the highs hitting 90% or slightly higher. This expert said that this pattern provides the best cardiovascular improvement. But caution abounds - a high heart rate can be very dangerous, even deadly. Please see a medical professional before stressing your heart to verify that it is medically sound for you. No one can give you good advice on this by a forum post here. I am simply pointing out that high heart rates can be a healthy part of a workout regimen for people who are cleared to do so.

PS: I am sixty one, so by the formula (220 - 61) my max hr is 159. What a joke, my tested max hr is 182. It varies greatly from individual to individual and a high max hr says nothing about fitness level. Resting hr however is very informative.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options

Except that I know for a FACT that 220-age is a very rough approximation with a HUGE standard deviation, that is generally inaccurate for most people, especially females. My opinion is very well informed, thank you. I can think of roughly a dozen different heart rate equations off the top of my head, none of which are as accurate as VO2 Max testing.

So I can believe the Center for Disease Control, funded by billions of dollars of research, OR some random guy on the internet. Hmmm, let's see. Which should I choose?
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

So I can believe the Center for Disease Control, funded by billions of dollars of research, OR some random guy on the internet. Hmmm, let's see. Which should I choose?

It is a shame to see the CDC still propagating this formula. It has been widely discredited by many high quality peer-reviewed studies. I agree that one should not believe some random poster here at MFP, including me, but do some research, look up the studies. I am sorely disappointed to see the CDC using assumptions from decades ago that have been thoroughly discredited. My max hr as calculated by the formula is 23 points below my tested max hr. If I used the formula I could claim to exercise my heart at 70% while walking out to get my mail. It's very easy to get tested, so get tested and avoid the worthless formula.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    220 minus age is pretty much useless. You max HR is the max you can get your HR to. So if that's 199 in your experience, that's 199. Mine goes way over 220 minus my age and I've demonstrated it in the lab in cardio fitness tests. It's not a sign of anything except that your HR is genetically high.

It's not particularly dangerous to exercise near your max, it's just unpleasant. You can exercise longer and more comfortably at 75% of max than 90%. The main thing is don't spend all your cardio time at 50% of max.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    once you get in better shape your heart rate wont go as high with the same type of activity
  • Amandabelanger614
    Amandabelanger614 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    To all of you that suggested i am not very conditioned - I've been doing cardio for 14 months now and this is now coming to my attention. I have asthma that often causes severe pain in my diaphram while running...so this is usually going on when i speed walk on higher inclines. If that changes anything or helps. I also have anxiety disorder...i know that can screw with your heart a little.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

You should believe science, which doesn't support that estimation formula, especially since it was never normed on a large class of women.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

How do you manage your heart rate while working out? I've done a lot of reading that suggests anything over 85% of your max heart rate can be dangerous.

Thanks!
    The 220-age heart rate is an approximation for general health. Many fit people can exceed this. If you're fine at 186-190 and don't have any family history of heart issues, then it shouldn't be an issue. If you're really concerned check with a cardiologist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Hi there,

Thanks!
    The 220-age heart rate is an approximation for general health. Many fit people can exceed this. If you're fine at 186-190 and don't have any family history of heart issues, then it shouldn't be an issue. If you're really concerned check with a cardiologist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. Also, with the asthma and anxiety at play, you want to make sure you have a psych assemment at least annually to manage those symptoms and meds, and see a pulmonologist rather than a GP for your asthma.