Losing weight in a healthy way.

LeesaD113
LeesaD113 Posts: 11
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been on this site actively for just over a week now and have noticed a few things. For the most part, it looks like people are eating healthy, consuming the right amount of calories, and exercising like they should be to lose weight in a healthy way. With that said, I do see quite a few people who aren't doing it the healthy way. Only consuming 900 calories for an entire day is not healthy. Doing something like P90X everyday and then only eating 1200-1300 calories isn't healthy either. This is not the way to lose weight long-term. I just wanted to post something about this because it scares me that people are doing this.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I agree with you - unfortunately there are a lot of people who have convinced themselves they never need to eat any exercise calories. If you're not exercising too heavily, it's not as big of a deal, but when you're doing major workouts regularly, your body needs more fuel!! People say that as long as they feel "okay" or that they aren't hungry, then they are just fine. What they don't realize is that extended periods of eating low calories will decrease your feeling of hunger since your body adjusts. You may not feel hungry, but if you're only eating a net of a few hundred calories a day, you definitely NEED more calories.
  • Lauris83
    Lauris83 Posts: 58
    that's so true. I see people's diaries and YIKES I think I'd pass out if I ate 900 calories a day. I think sometimes people leave out some of the stuff they eat throughout the day? I hope so. Some of those people complain that they have stopped losing weight, I think that's when you should know that your body is in starvation mode but of course we're all on here for making mistakes right? :blushing:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    I personally Live Low Carb, and I DO NOT eat my workout cals. under doctors orders....I eat between 1150-1600 (sometimes 1800) cals a day. Really if you see what I eat in a day (like today) and see that my cals are only 1150, you might think with the cals that I don't eat enough, but if you look at the diary u see that i do.......I think it is just relative. (10 pound loss in 1st week of Low Carbin!)
  • As I am just now changing the way I eat and monitoring calories, I find that there are days when I think I have done really well and then when I enter everything in to the food diary I am surprised that I have only eaten 900-1000 calories. If it's not too late in the evening, I'll then try to find something healthy to snack on to up those calories. It's not easy figuring out just exactly how much is right and it takes time to figure that all out. That's why I love this site because by plugging everything in I can get a reasonably accurate idea of what I am eating and where I need to make changes. I agree, though, when some people start dieting, they do go overboard and I think that can lead to giving up.
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Low carb is fine short term, or for pre contest/competition as I've used it before, but it really sucks getting off of it. You simply cannot stay on a low carb diet forever. The first week is great, because you're losing water weight and you "think" you're actually losing fat. I know you've pepped up the low carb diet a lot, and I hope you do extremely well, I have great success on it when I use it to come in under weight class, but remember it's not for everyone, and just because you have a doctor "watching" you doesn't mean anything, I've seen doctors put people on a completely wrong diet before that's brought on some really bad results. Just be careful.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    it all depends on the person me IM exerciseing a lot and eating alot ,thats bad someone like me who's obese needs to use up the fat that i have stored up as fuel if i eat my exercise cals im going to hang on to the fat or weight for a longer per of time. i want to turn all this fat to fuel:blushing: for people who don't have fat that theri body can use as fuel than thats bad they need to eat theri exercise calories belive it or not your bodys fat has nutrients in it it saves with the fat so you have to make sure your body is getting the nutrients it needs if you don't want it to shut down
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Low carb is fine short term, or for pre contest/competition as I've used it before, but it really sucks getting off of it. You simply cannot stay on a low carb diet forever. The first week is great, because you're losing water weight and you "think" you're actually losing fat. I know you've pepped up the low carb diet a lot, and I hope you do extremely well, I have great success on it when I use it to come in under weight class, but remember it's not for everyone, and just because you have a doctor "watching" you doesn't mean anything, I've seen doctors put people on a completely wrong diet before that's brought on some really bad results. Just be careful.

I appreciate your concern and input thank you. You are right Low Carb is not for everyone, calorie counting and low fat has not worked out for me, so what works for one may not work for the others. I actually still have to stay under a certain amount of cals, but don't have to stress about the other stuff, and it will be a lifestyle change for my husband and I. I don't need all the carbs in my life, so the plan is long term. To each their own right.
This discussion has been closed.