MyFitnessPal Caloric suggestions

Options
Have any of you found that you feel the suggested caloric intakefrom MFP is a little low? Howdo you determine what is best for you??

Do any of you use specific websites or formulas to get your target?

Suggestions accepted...please.

Thank You:happy:

Replies

• MoJoPain
    Options
    Okay.. I will do some research through fellow MFPers that I think will assist .
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I found that mine was way too high! It took several weeks of trial and error for me to find the right number of calories.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I tried a couple of different online calculators and they all seemed to have my calories too low. So I started out with what was *possible* for me (2,000 calories), which was arbitrary and totally based on my *feelings*. After tracking for several weeks, I started having enough data that I could go on my actual results.

I tried going lower and was sooo hungry, crabby, and listless. I tried going higher and still lost, but more slowly. Eventually I honed in on a number that balances a deficit with not feeling too many side effects.

The MFP method of earning calories throughe exercise each day has never felt right for me. I like to have the same calorie goal each day -- I'm a consistent exerciser so TDEE minues a reasonable percentage works for me. And my actual results are better than any calculator, any day.
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    IIFYM.com or scoobyworkshop.com
    Both have awesome calorie calculators!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Have any of you found that you feel the suggested caloric intakefrom MFP is a little low? Howdo you determine what is best for you??

Do any of you use specific websites or formulas to get your target?

Suggestions accepted...please.

Thank You:happy:

MFP suggested calories go lower as you put in a higher "I want to lose XX pounds per week". It's just math....1200 is as low as MFP will go....and that number is BEFORE exercise.

So a few options

1. Decrease your weekly weight loss goal
    2. Add exercise & eat a % of those calories back (a % is prudent as MFP gives "generous" calorie burns)
    3. Follow TDEE less a % .....this adds in exercise up front, so you don't have to worry about logging it & eating calorie back
  • MoJoPain
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am learning that it will take A LOT of research and trial and eorro on my part to find what works best for me but I am reading everything recommended