Good fat vs. Bad fat

Options
lmkaks
lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
A very interesting and informative article on good fats vs. bad fats (and cholesterol) It was posted here back in February and came up when I did a search on diets heavy in monosaturated fats.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

About 10 months ago, I went to a nutritionist who told me to start a very low-fat, low-carb diet. When I asked about things like olive oil, salmon, avocados, she told me to cut the "good fats" saying "Fat is fat is fat, your body doesn't know the difference and all fat gets absorbed the same way." But according to this article by the Harvard School of Public Health, she is an idiot.

Bascially, it says in order to lose weight, you need to restrict calories and cut the saturated fats. However, you MUST replace the saturated fats with the "good fats".

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    You had me until you said Harvard.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Natural fats are good...bacon, lard, olive oil, butter, avocado, coconut oil. Transfats are bad. Period.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionist is a moron. Many nutritionists are, because there is no set collection of standards/certifications needed to call oneself a "nutritionist". Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money to speak with a registered dietitian next time.

Your body most certainly CAN tell the difference--the difference is how the fat molecules are shaped and how they stack together. The shape vastly influences how the molecule is broken down by the body.

I would strongly recommend never seeing that nutritionist again, they clearly have no idea what they are talking about.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Bascially, it says in order to lose weight, you need to restrict calories and cut the saturated fats. However, you MUST replace the saturated fats with the "good fats".

Article does not say you need to cut saturated fats to lose weight. It recommends limiting your intake of saturated fat for heart health.
  • DannPM31
    Options
    Natural fats are good...bacon, lard, olive oil, butter, avocado, coconut oil. Transfats are bad. Period.

THIS
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Article does not say you need to cut saturated fats to lose weight. It recommends limiting your intake of saturated fat for heart health.

This, and I would personally agree. I don't go out of my way to try to "cut" saturated fats, but I stay within the daily recommendations for the most part...often less, and on occasion more. I know a lot of people around here don't think saturated fats need to be watched at all, but for me, there is enough evidence to suggest that, given my issues, it is wise for me to keep it to daily recommendations.

I cook primarily with olive oil and avocado oil and I eat a lot of almonds and avocado as well as 2-3 servings of salmon per week...those are my primary sources of fat.