Help me out!

Options
Hi everyone :)

I need some help figuring out exactly how many calories to eat per day…help a girl out?

About me:

23 year old female, 5'4", current weight (and record highest) at 153 lbs. My lowest was 119 and I'd like to be back there or a little below. I've calculated by BMR to be at 1435 and my TDEE is 2351. For me, exercise isn't a problem. I'm pretty active and love working out. The problem is that I eat whatever I want.

Over the past nine or so months, I've gained about 17 lbs. I stopped workout out for the last two months or so, though my normal routine is to do some combination of HIIT/cardio/Pilates every day.

So, how much should I be eating to create a nice deficit? Since I'm going back to my normal, fairly active routine, I've calculated my TDEE with that in mind. However, it seems extremely high!

Thoughts?

Replies

• OJLight
    OJLight Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi
    MFP should tell you how much you need to eat daily. I think it calculates it on the basis of your height, weight, gender and fitness level.

From your description it seems that about 1250 cals should be a good daily intake....to lose weight gradually..but i am no expert :-) just that amount feels right..if you know what i mean.

Good luck !
  • scallopedlove
    Options
    Thanks, OJ!

MFP tells me 1200 should do the trick, but based on my BMR and activity level it seems low! I've done a strict 1200 cal diet before and I remember being incredibly hungry and groggy. I think I'll try logging at 1200-1400 and see what happens.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE estimate is right and you want to go the TDEE route, I'd say go with 1800-1900 calories as your goal and don't log exercise into MFP
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks, OJ!

MFP tells me 1200 should do the trick, but based on my BMR and activity level it seems low! I've done a strict 1200 cal diet before and I remember being incredibly hungry and groggy. I think I'll try logging at 1200-1400 and see what happens.

When you use the MFP method, the site expects you to log your exercise and then gives you more calories when you've earned them. It expects you to eat at least a portion of your earned exercise calories.

The TDEE method includes your exercise calories up front and you wouldn't need to log your exercise or eat back any additional earned calories. This is usually the biggest difference between the two methods and I find that if you set them both up accurately they tend to be around the same number once your exercise is logged here on MFP.

Does that make sense?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks, OJ!

Keep in mind that 1200 is BEFORE exercise. MFP doesn't give you credit for exercise until you log it. 1200 is also a product of "I want to lose XX pounds a week" ......and 1200 is as low as the system will go. It's not a one size fits all.

TDEE should take exercise into consideration up front. TDEE less 500 calories is 1 pound loss per week.......TDEE less 750 is 1.5 pounds per week, etc.

The more weight you have to lose.....the faster you can expect to lose it. The last 10 pounds will be extremely slow ....like 1/2 pound a week.
  • scallopedlove
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It makes much more sense now. Based on the numbers and assuming I can stick to my routine (5k run and T25 alpha abs done today - woo!), I'm going to stick to around 1500 calories.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I am new here too and myfitnesspal has calculated 1200 calories for me to get to my desired weight, too. I am 188lb and want to lose 3 stone (1 stone will be great though!)

Good luck :)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you tell MFP you want to lose 2lb a week it will give you 1200 calories a day BEFORE exercise.

For example,
    I am 5'3 MFP gave me 1200 Calories a day when I started and I weighed 190lb.
    Breastfeeding burns 20 calories an ounce x 30oz = 600 calories a day
    Plus 500 a day exercising...... 1200 + 600 + 500 had me eating 2300 calories a day until the baby was weaned.

Then the 1200 + 500 burned exercising became 1700 a day.

I am maintaining at around 1850 a day.