They're Going Too Fast!

Options
So, I think I might already know the answer to this, but I figure I should ask the community at large. Today, I started the Brazil Butt Lift. (Really, though, whatever program it is doesn't matter)

Anyway, during a specific exercise, they're going from doing a lunge on one side to quickly jumping then doing a lunge facing the opposing way with the opposing leg. I was finding that I just can't focus on doing proper form while also focusing on trying to keep up. After I did one of them and felt a sharp pain, I was kinda like "eff this, I'll do my own modified version and watch my form before I actually hurt myself". So I just did regular lunges on one side, then switched to the other side ten seconds later.

So my question is, is it better to try and keep up or better to watch form? I'm not sure how these exercise participants are keeping good form going at the pace they are, but they seem to be while I'm not. I really want the best benefits of the exercise, but short of the cardio that the jumping around would be providing, is there any toning/sculpting benefit to doing such a jump instead of just focusing on good form during something like a lunge?

(The DVD does something similar with squats as well.)

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Don't sacrifice form for reps, or for quick side changes. :happy:
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with something a bit more your speed for the time being, then step up to more aggressive/fast paced programs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No one is going to come yell at you for not doing it fast enough- that being said don't cheat yourself- and use something as an excuse to get out of the workout- (duh- but some people honestly do this) but if you are experiencing pain- or massive imbalance- take time to regroup before you switch sides. You maybe be capable of doing the jump- but just doing it more slowly- regrouping each time if not- you can just stay in a low lunge and switch from side to side- staying low- that's also an option.

This is not the military- it's a work out class- do it safely and at your level.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No one is going to come yell at you for not doing it fast enough- that being said don't cheat yourself- and use something as an excuse to get out of the workout- (duh- but some people honestly do this) but if you are experiencing pain- or massive imbalance- take time to regroup before you switch sides. You maybe be capable of doing the jump- but just doing it more slowly- regrouping each time if not- you can just stay in a low lunge and switch from side to side- staying low- that's also an option.

This is not the military- it's a work out class- do it safely and at your level.

Yeah - this.

Also, regarding the models in the videos: they've done the program already. They're familiar with and capable of doing the moves.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Definitely focus on form.

I dropped my kettlebell yesterday because I was trying to keep up. The good news is that my little dogs were still in bed with the hubs and I was on carpet -- and the kettlebell was close to the floor. I decided to not do quarter turn lunges and passing the kettlebell behind the leg. I just did them all in one spot. Once I get the routine down better, I will try doing the turns again.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    The emphasis should always be on maintaining proper form. These programs are watched by thousands, even millions of people. The makers have no idea what your level of fitness is, or whether you have physical issues that would make performing the workout as presented difficult or unsafe.

A heart rate monitor will tell you if you're working hard enough. Modify the time, the intensity, or the movements themselves.