Polar ft4 accuracy?

Options
Okay so today I went for a walk and my polar ft4 says I burned 435 calories.
This would be great but I was only walking for 37 minutes. I am pretty unfit, weighing around 200 pounds and only just starting to work out. But isn't this a little high? I believe my heart rate was up for most of my walk but I didn't feel super tired or anything.
Does it sounds like my HRM is off?

Replies

• HelloImKelsey
    HelloImKelsey Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Also it was really rainy at the time but my watch and chest strap were both covered. Not sure if that means anything.
  • HelloImKelsey
    Options
    Bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    They are meant to be used for steady state cardio. If you feel your heart rate was in the cardio zone for the entire 37 minutes, then it is close enough. Your weight and fitness level definitely affect the reading on the device. Also, figure you would have burned about 70-100 of those calories anyway if you were just sitting.

Since you have already paid for it and have chosen to use it, you may as well use it. At least you will be tracking something and it is close enough. If you aren't seeing the results you would expect, adjust your numbers.

Here's a great blog post to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    ...and the ft4 is water resistant to 30M I think, so that makes no difference.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4 uses your gender, height, age, and HR to calculate calorie burn. If you truly are out of shape, that's probably a good ballpark estimate. The more weight you lose, the less calories you will burn. I am 5'5 and 130 pounds, I only burn 100 calories on a 30 minute walk. I usually subtract 20% of what my FT4 says just to be safe.
  • HelloImKelsey
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. I logged it as 300 calories just to make sure I don't over eat.