Im pregnant, how many calories should i eat to maintain?

Options
13»

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You've gotten good calorie advice (maintenance + 300 calories per day in 2nd and 3rd trimester) but I just wanted to add that you need to make sure you're getting enough protein and healthy fats in your diet. The growing baby needs more protein and fat than you most likely ate pre-pregnancy, and the added protein also really helped my energy levels while pregnant. I didn't have any morning sickness, but I also have heard that the extra protein relieves that as well. A good protein goal is 60-90g per day (depending on your weight).

Here's a good link to some pregnancy nutrition info: http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/eating_right_before_and_during_pregnancy/

+1 Strong first post! :flowerforyou:

I would say to eat even more protein than that, though. 100+ grams
  • Speak to a professional...
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    What did your doctor say?

^^ This. Ask the doctor. And congratulations!
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If you're at 1500 and running a 300 calorie deficit, then increase it to 1800 to maintain. I would stay there unless you feel you need more, but not until the 2nd or third trimester. Most of the weight gain for the baby should be in the third trimester. But talk to the Doctor, he should be able to answer you questions. I wouldn't just wing it. That's how so many people end up on here with a lot of baby weight to lose.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i noticed someone suggest low fat dairy stuff.....careful with "low fat" as often it means higher in grams of sugar and you want to avoid gestational diabetes like the plague
  • Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Im 28 weeks pregnant and my doctor told me from the beginining of my pregnancy that I could eat 1800 calories but no less.
  • rbarzat
    rbarzat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Excited to hear what your doctor says! I won't get in to see mine for another week or two! Fingers crossed my exercise and healthier eating habits are somewhere along the right track... :)
  • vdolmstead
    vdolmstead Posts: 17 Member
    Options
  • imagitfit
    imagitfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    congrats. your maintenance cal is about 2400 (approx). eat about 350 above this during first trimester. eat 500 above maintenance during second trimester. macros ratios % fat-25, carb-50, protein-25. counting calories is not absolutely necessary, but it's a great habit for long term weight control. Weight gain doesn't just "happen" due to pregnancy, but is healthy and necessary. That's my educated opinion, I hope it helps. good luck and god bless
  • krazziekid78
    krazziekid78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should increase your caloric intake by about 200 calories for a healthy pregnancy :)
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I think the *general* recommendation is maintenance for the first trimester, +100-300 above maintenance second, and +300-500 above maintenance for third and while breastfeeding.
    Try not to get too caught up in it though. I micromanaged my calories during pregnancy and didn't eat enough, and it resulted in lack of weight gain on both my part and my daughter's part. I was induced at 37 weeks because she wasn't thriving properly anymore. She was 6 lbs 4 oz and thankfully as healthy as can be, but calorie counting because of my paranoia of gaining too much should NOT have been my priority. I would instead focus on eating nutrient-rich foods and not focus on the numbers too much. :)

sounds like a perfectly healthy weight for baby to me! At 37wks 6#4oz is not small at all. She would have been around 7 1/2lbs which is average! I had my daughter at 40wks (induced because they were worried about her size) 6lbs14oz, which is perfectly healthy weight, I was NOT counting calories, I was eating lots of fast food and working on my feet 8-10hrs a day 40+hrs a week. Gained 50lbs with her, yikes. With my son I exercised 3-5 days a week up until I gave birth and ate 1800-2000 cals a day, sometimes more. Gained the recommended 33-34lbs and had him 39wks5days 7#6oz. I did have a smaller than average size belly and the drs started monitoring me at the end, but when I had him they said he is perfect weight and I just was smaller cause I was more fit and did a good job staying active. They said if I have more pregnancies they wont even worry about it anymore.
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I know the UK guidelines say an extra 200 cals a day in the third trimester is all that is needed.

ETA: This comes from my nutrition in pregnancy module of my degree last year
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I had mild gestational diabetes (controlled by diet, thank God) during pregnancy #3 and from diagnosis to his birth and for all of pregnancy # 4 I was on a strict 1800 cal/day diabetic diet. (#3 weighed over 9lbs, #4 was 7.5 lbs.) If GD isn't a problem, and you are a healthy weight now, 2000-2400 calories is probably a good goal. Good luck finding your sweet spot and congrats on the baby!!!
  • deepthavinay
    Options
    During my pregnancy I was eating around 1800 cals a day. 300 more than my usual. Just listen to your body and eat when your hungry, stop when full coz pregnancy is different for different people.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you can swing it, I'd recommend going to see an nutritionist. In my opinion, it's very worthwhile.

My first pregnancy, I ate like a horse, and gained 35 lbs. My second pregnancy, I counted calories, and stuck between 1800 and 2000 per day, exercised 4-5 days per week, and I gained 22 pounds. Pregnancy #2, I felt fantastic (once the morning sickness was done!) Both babies were in the 7-1/2 lb range. Induced both times, since mine like to stick around a little longer than they should :) I started the second pregnancy at 150 lbs and 5'-5". For me, that's a comfortable US Size 6.

Good luck with your pregnancy and enjoy the journey!!!
  • nathaliasmommy91
    Options
    Being that your pregnant you aren't going to maintain your weight. There is healthy weight gain and unhealthy weight gain. I've
    h!ad both and the healthy weight I lost without even trying( healthy weight being 15 pounds heavier after giving birth). The unhealthy(being 50 pounds heavier after giving birth) is not showing as easy to loose.....
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    your normal calories + an extra 300 :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    First trimester, eat at maintenance (you're past this stage), second trimester maintenance +200, third trimester maintenance +300-500.

Don't try to lose or stay the same weight in pregnancy. You shouldn't even try to lose if you're overweight going into a pregnancy. I think the recommendation to maintain only applies to the seriously obese, which you are not. You need to eat enough to raise your blood volume, prepare your body to produce milk, keep your body nourished so you don't have issues after the baby is born, avoid premature labor, avoid low birth weight, etc.

Don't overdo it, and if you see you're gaining too much, slow down the next week.