Hitting the Ab dept HARD

Options
OK..I have gotten down in weight..and have built lean muscle..Im toned in my upper body and my legs..
however..I still have some "woman who has given birth" pooch..its not bad..but my goal is to tighten that up. I can FEEL the muscle under a thin layer of fat. this is a problem area for me. at 107 I even had it (Im 112 now)

Im wondering what some good recomendations for at home videos are to targer this specific area...

I love jillian michaels and was looking at 6 week 6 pack..but am open to other suggestions if they yield good results. Ideally, Id like to hybrid an ab focused program into my normal routine of extreme shed n shred and ripped in 30 (do level 2 of ripped, as I feel this gives me the greatest Ab burn..and then will do level 1 and 2 combined on shed n shred once a week)

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You can't "tighten" the ab area "pooch" with exercises. Fat doesn't turn into Muscle; they are 2 entirely different things. Losing the pooch is a result of a calorie deficit by eating less, doing more cardio, or a combination of both.

That said, here's some worthwhile ab exercises off the top of my head:

Planks
    Side Planks
    Leg Raise (Knees to chest otherwise all you're working is your hip flexors)

Weighted ab exercise (yes, use WEIGHTS)

Weighted crunches using weight plates, dumbbell, or cable
    V Ups
    Russian Twists
    Floor Wipers
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^^ all dat and moar

hanging leg raises
    plank up downs
    Pallof Press
    L Sit's
    Hand stands (working toward one arm hand stands)

and all sorts of crazy ab work giving you ab burn doesn't mean anything except muscle endurance- weight them puppies up and challenge yourself!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Hitting the abs hard isn't going to remove the fat that's covering them. For that, just keep losing fat with a calorie deficit.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    OK, lets rephrase..

what can I do to build the abs..:)

and I do usually function on a calorie deficit..unfortuantly its abit of a balancing act..as I have been told by my better half that I am to thin.

I do best with videos..I need some handholding.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The above-mentioned exercises are all good for that area, plus Google Bodyrock workouts, which target core pretty well.

BUT, like everyone else said, diet (and time) is what is going to take the pouch away. You can build and build and if the fat is still there, you won't see those muscles. It sounds like your body holds its fat in your abdominal area...if you keep up at full-body conditioning/weight-training and watching your intake, you should eventually see the results you want.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    OK..is it the actual WEIGHT of the weight training? or the number of reps? I use lighter weights with increased reps.
    thoughts?

and yes, I tend to carry my weight in my lower abdominal area/hips.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    OK..is it the actual WEIGHT of the weight training? or the number of reps? I use lighter weights with increased reps.
    thoughts?

Personally I like to keep my weighted ab work to around 12 reps. If 12 reps is too easy, add weight, if it's too hard, lessen the weight.
    and yes, I tend to carry my weight in my lower abdominal area/hips.

Unfortunately it seems the place we tend to "hold" fat is the last place we lose it from. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Just keep with it. :smile:
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    Im a weenie..3 pounders..but for some work I will use both weights in one hand. I think I will up to 5 pounds.

I modified my workout this morning to include some side planks and russian twists. Ill keep pushing thru the workouts..building muscle..and then eating well to get rid of the fat. its the LAST area on me that I feel is carrying excess weight...of course..its also the area, as I said, I carry my weight. its right down the center too..my side ob's are hard..I have no patience..LOL
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lol you're purse probably weighs more than 5 lbs.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    Ive modified my workouts to include more ab based exercises now..Im feeling better..I feel a burn in my abs and I like that..LOL
    Had a not so good weekend food wise due to being at our livestock show the whole time..but back on track.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'll throw this in there.

Do some rock climbing. It's amazing how quickly that helps...
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I think you would see good results if you started lifting heavy. Squats, deadlifts, OHP, bench, rows. Compound lifts. Do these directly target the abs? Well, not in the way you think they would. But they are excellent for building a strong core, with even more added benefit of stripping body fat and building muscle. Hitting the abs directly doesn't result in a six pack...a loss of body fat while maintaining LBM does.