A 500 Calorie deficit?

Im having about 1400 cals a day. I also exercise. Burn off 500-1000 depends on the day, I want to have a 500 cal. deficit a day, so I will lose about 1 lb. a week.

Am I doing alright?

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    No I don't think so.

1400 should be your NET calories so you need to be eating 1900 and then detract 500 from those so your base is at least 1400.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Im having about 1400 cals a day. I also exercise. Burn off 500-1000 depends on the day, I want to have a 500 cal. deficit a day, so I will lose about 1 lb. a week.

Am I doing alright?

Your calorie goal has the deficit built in...you calorie goal isn't a maintenance level of calories. If you told MFP you wanted to lose 1 Lb per week, it has already taken your 500 calorie cut from your theoretical maintenance.

Also keep in mind that with MFP you do not include exercise in your activity level. If you are using MFP as designed, you account for exercise after the fact when you log it and get credited exercise calories to "eat back." Just make sure you're not overestimating burn.

Basically, MFP is figuring that you need roughly 1,900 calories to maintain your weight with no exercise...just day to day stuff. 1,900 - 500 = 1400. If you exercise with any kind of intensity you will need to eat a bit more.
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    I personally eat my goal cals +about 200 most days no matter how much i exercise because that is all i can eat. My exercise cals are different every day ,so there are some days i would be trying to eat <3000> cals and that just aint gonna happen...LOL . Eat healthy meals and keep your cals between your goal and net cals and you will do fine. Some times we tend to set our activity level higher than it should be so be sure to be honest about your REGULAR activity (sometimes we think we r more active than we really r)and don't add any exercise to your plan, just add it as you do it. That has made a big difference for me anyway. Good luck with finding your balance in the world of weight loss and fitness.