Do older teens really need to eat more?

Options
First let me tell you guys about myself I'm 18 almost 19, 5'8, always have been at a healthy weight but have extra body fat..have been on a healthy journey for about a year now, started out very clueless and ate way too low 1200 calories and exercised a lot lost a lot of weight but gained it all back plus double. Learned a bit more and started eating more around 1400-1500 and got back to my initial weight which was 132 pounds. My goal weight is 125 and pounds which seems so close but so far. I eat from 1400-1600 calories a day and workout 3-4 times a week and eat at least half my exercise calories back. I usually do 20 minutes weight training and 20 cardio. I weigh out all my food as well ... And I am wondering why I am not losing.. I researched and saw that on multiple forums that if you're under 21 you have to use the children's TDEE and so on. I did that and it says I should eat 2100 calories a day. Is this correct ? Or around there? Am I not losing because I am virtually starving myself?? Even though I am usually full on 1600 calories... Or have I messed up my metabolism? Any advice?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Your 5'8, active, and pretty skinny at your height/weight... you may want to look into dumping your cardio for an all weight training routine to get where you want to be.. you can definitely eat more.. I would really look at your macro's and make sure your measuring everything your eating.. So your 132 lbs, are you getting 100g+ of protein? Maybe pick 1 # (1600) and eat that everyday instead of cycling based on your workouts.. and don't eat exercise calories if you do that. (maybe you are overestimating your exercise calories as well)
  • millaxoxo
    Options
    Yes I eat around 120-138grams of protein :) and I would love to ditch the cardio and just do weight training but I thought to build muscle you have to be in a surplus
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Look up New Rules Of Lifting For Women. Follow that and don't worry too much about 7 lbs.