Will my metabolism slow down?

Options
This weekend, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I will be eating and drinking under 1000 calories a day because I will be at the Coachella music festival in southern California. Food is really expensive and when you're running from stage to stage trying to see bands, you aren't really focused on food, but more so the music and things. I've had a lot of restricting with calories in the past six months or so and have finally decided to lose the healthy way and I've been eating well for about 3 weeks, but I'm wondering, is this going to screw with my metabolism even more because I will be going four days like this? I'll mostly be going on juice, maybe smoothies, Luna bars, and oceans of water.

Replies

• hideandseek
    Options
    This weekend, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I will be eating and drinking under 1000 calories a day because I will be at the Coachella music festival in southern California. Food is really expensive and when you're running from stage to stage trying to see bands, you aren't really focused on food, but more so the music and things. I've had a lot of restricting with calories in the past six months or so and have finally decided to lose the healthy way and I've been eating well for about 3 weeks, but I'm wondering, is this going to screw with my metabolism even more because I will be going four days like this? I'll mostly be going on juice, maybe smoothies, Luna bars, and oceans of water.
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Options
    I recommend packing up some healthy foods and taking them along to eat for breakfast and at the end of the day to help balance things out a bit. Obviously, if you are staying somewhere where you don't have a refrigerator, you are limited, but it is better than stayning way under your calories every day. You'll probably be burning off a bunch of calories running around there, too! Have fun!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    yes it will mess with your metabolism! You need to make an effort to take in not only enough calories but enough nutrients for your body!
  • fit_amy
    fit_amy Posts: 41
    Options
    I understand your predicament... please be careful though! I went to the first Bonnaroo festival and ended up in the first aid tent due to dehydration. Lemme tell ya, it was NOT fun! I'm glad you are planning on drinking oceans of water!

1000 calories is really low--most women need AT LEAST 1100 calories a day just to survive, not including any activities (basal metabolism). You'll definitely be burning some calories walking to the music tents, sweating, dancing, having fun ;o). Here are some ideas for you:
    1. I know it is expensive to eat at the festival, but one booth meal a day won't be too $$. I'd recommend starting the day with a nice breakfast. You can usually find some good protein breakfasts--tofu or egg scrambles with potatoes and fruit. That way you are starting the day with a sufficient amount of fuel. If you *really* can't afford to have one booth breakfast a day, I'd recommend pop tarts. They are very calorie dense.

2. I love taking boiled eggs with me to festivals!! Just pack them in a cooler with ice, keep them in the shade at your campsite, then when it's time to check out the scene, pop one into your purse and peel and eat it when you get to the stages! It's great because it's a good source of protein and fat, and their is no wrapping to carry around with you. The eggshells will biodegrade! :o) You can also put some baby carrots in a baggie to have for a snack. You won't have to worry about them getting squished.

3. Crackers and cheese are also really nice festival foods if you have a cooler and access to ice. Lots of times there are vendors selling ice in the campgrounds so you can replenish your supply.

Hope this was helpful. (in answer to your question, yes I believe your body's metabolism will slow down. In effect, your body goes into starvation mode when it gets so few calories) HAVE FUN!!! WEEEEE
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Music Festivals are too much fun...
    I went to Coachella last year and I've been to Bonnaroo for the past 3 years and my eating has always gotten all out of whack during this time.

fit_amy, great ideas! I'll have to keep those in mind

I'm going to Jazz Fest this weekend, but I won't have to worry about food costs because my dad is going with me, so he'll pick up the tab! hah:happy:

But really, be careful about dehydration. The water on the grounds is extremely expensive so be sure to bring lots of it.