Replies

• beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to ignore hunger or cravings. When you eat, focus on the specific foods that satisfy hunger.

http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm

I eat this way and can vouch for it, especially oranges and whole eggs. It really works, I am rarely starving or craving. I don't eat sugar or artificial sweetners, ever.

Im confused, are the foods with the higher percentage more filling or less?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to ignore hunger or cravings. When you eat, focus on the specific foods that satisfy hunger.

I eat this way and can vouch for it, especially oranges and whole eggs. It really works, I am rarely starving or craving. I don't eat sugar or artificial sweetners, ever.

That is the most confusing website I've ever seen. I'd ignore that specific site, but the premise is right on. Foods higher in protein and fat keep most people feeling full longer. (Not everyone, I have a friend that is much more satiated by carbs, and she can get seriously hangry if she tries low carb.) That does prove a point though, satiety is personal. Some people need to eat five meals a day to feel full, others eat two. Some people love carbs to fill them up, others eat mainly protein.

If what you're eating now isn't keeping you satiated, try adding/replacing something. Personally, I used to eat cereal for breakfast, and two hours later I wanted to gnaw my arm off (and I'd get low blood sugar; found out I have reactive hypoglycemia). I've learned that adding more protein and fat keeps me full longer. Right now I have peanut butter, a protein shake, and some soy milk for breakfast. I've also done overnight oats as well (soy milk, greek yogurt, and oats). Higher protein and higher fats may help you to feel full.

ETA: Seriously? That chart says jelly beans have more satiety than muesli...
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    More satisfying. Look at boiled potatoes, porridge/oatmeal, oranges, apples, grapes, beef, baked beans, eggs, cheese, brown pasta, whole grain bread.

If I get really hungry I'll eat boiled eggs and oranges. My hunger drops like a stone. I eat a lot of cheese and whole fruit for snacks and meals. Friend me and you can go through my diary if you like. I'm maintaining and playing with my calories now looking for the right maintenance calories.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options

That is the most confusing website I've ever seen. I'd ignore that specific site, but the premise is right on. Foods higher in protein and fat keep most people feeling full longer. (Not everyone, I have a friend that is much more satiated by carbs, and she can get seriously hangry if she tries low carb.) That does prove a point though, satiety is personal. Some people need to eat five meals a day to feel full, others eat two. Some people love carbs to fill them up, others eat mainly protein.

If what you're eating now isn't keeping you satiated, try adding/replacing something. Personally, I used to eat cereal for breakfast, and two hours later I wanted to gnaw my arm off (and I'd get low blood sugar; found out I have reactive hypoglycemia). I've learned that adding more protein and fat keeps me full longer. Right now I have peanut butter, a protein shake, and some soy milk for breakfast. I've also done overnight oats as well (soy milk, greek yogurt, and oats). Higher protein and higher fats may help you to feel full.

ETA: Seriously? That chart says jelly beans have more satiety than muesli...

Go away negative person. Go smear your negativity on someone else.