Gazelle or cheap elliptical?

Options
13»

Replies

• DuxBellorum
    Options
    Yes ma'am. That is exactly what I do! put some High-Speed Salsa on, and keep up the pace! FEEL THE BURN!

Lost over 75 lbs in a little over a year on it.

...and don't forget to count them calories!
  • zackster_89
    zackster_89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/hulamom117/view/exercise-results-for-the-gazelle-glider-147894 Here this may help with the cals burnt, just started fitness pal today and found this to set my own "exercise" option
  • tobybears8
    tobybears8 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: Sorry messed up.
  • tobybears8
    tobybears8 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just sort of thinking out loud here (don't mean to hijack the topic), but do we have enough Gazelle users to warrant interest in an MFP group?

That sounds like a good idea. I would join if there was a Gazelle Group. Would anyone else? It would be nice to talk to people that use it and not be put down from other people that think it isn't good enough. I am not going to waist my money on a gym membership, did that once and it takes too much time to get there, then you have to wait and then the time back. As long as we are exercising that is all that is important. Let me know if you start a group. Thanks.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper? I will look up. I was doing Jillian Miachaels but had to stop every time she did cardio besides punching because I didnt wanna piss off the neighbors

Look for low impact DVDs

http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/aerobic-cardio-exercise-videos/aerobics-impact-lower

I like Leslie Sansone Just Walk videos. Here's a basic idea of what they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otzetqGQ8bE

If you want a piece of equipment, I like my rebounder, it's a Jump Sport. Low impact....here's a video of workout is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZuujTQ4amA
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My parents have a gazelle in the storage closet and I pulled it out for usage.
    The device that tells how many calories don't work.
    I would like to use this for workouts.
    How do you figure the calories.
    Thanks

Even if the device that tells you the calories "worked" ....the number would be worthless.

Calorie burns depend upon height, weight, age, gender, exertion level, and more. Unless you're plugging in lots of data.....the device has no clue. Even then, exertion level (how hard it was for YOU).....will vary depending upon your fitness level, and how hard you push it. As a previous poster said......inertia takes over and it takes less effort after you get going.

A heart rate monitor (with a chest strap) would give you a much better idea. But since you can't afford a DVD.....a HRM won't be an option either.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I just got a Gazelle and a bunch of other equipment for free. I know many say that you don't burn much on the Gazelle- but if you put on some ankle weights- would that increase the burn? I don't know to much about it but thought maybe that might help.

I had a Gazelle a while back, and it was way too low impact so I put ankle weights on, it helped a bit. I didn't get very good calorie burns with the Gazelle.

I got an elliptical off the classifieds for $50, and its great. Its squeaky, but for $50 I don't care.

Both can effective. Hope you enjoy the Gazelle!
  • Hungry_Annie
    Options
    I just got a Gazelle and a bunch of other equipment for free. I know many say that you don't burn much on the Gazelle- but if you put on some ankle weights- would that increase the burn? I don't know to much about it but thought maybe that might help.

I had a Gazelle a while back, and it was way too low impact so I put ankle weights on, it helped a bit. I didn't get very good calorie burns with the Gazelle.

I got an elliptical off the classifieds for $50, and its great. Its squeaky, but for $50 I don't care.

Both can be effective. Hope you enjoy the Gazelle!
  • Hungry_Annie
    Options

Both can be effective. Hope you enjoy the Gazelle!
  • kasney
    kasney Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do you have a play it again sports in your area? I just got a super nice well constructed elliptical from there a week ago. It was only $160 because the fan was broken, my husband fixed it.