Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lifting weights while trying to lose weight?

Hi guys, so I have a question and need some help. Basically I have dropped from 20st to 14st 10 still have about 2 stone to lose I am a 5ft 10 male. I have just really done cardio for 30 minutes 5 times a week and ate well. I always wanted to aim for a toned physique where abs and general muscle is visible.

My question is, should I drop to my goal weight another 2 stone and then build muscle and work from there to achieve my goal body. Or should I list heavy aswell as do cardio 5 times a week to burn the fat and achieve that body?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Building muscle is hard. You lift in a caloric deficit to maintain as much muscle mass as possible while you lose weight. Getting to your goal weight then trying to build muscle back would be counter productive. You're going to burn that muscle off and need to work that much harder, eat more (gain fat) to put it back on, then cut the fat again.

Start lifting yesterday.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You should lift to preserve what muscle mass you currently have. Building it back later is a *****...
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    You should have been lifting the entire time. I split my lifting and cardio about 60-40.

Rigger