has anyone had success with the 17 day diet?

Options
i recently started the 17 day diet along with a few other members of my family our combined goal is 40 lbs each and to see how much we've lost this coming summer when we are all together,

i have had success with this before but i find that i plateau quit easily and then gain back the weight quite quickly.

does anyone have any suggestions and tips on how to keep the weight off?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i recently started the 17 day diet along with a few other members of my family our combined goal is 40 lbs each and to see how much we've lost this coming summer when we are all together,

i have had success with this before but i find that i plateau quit easily and then gain back the weight quite quickly.

anyone have any suggestions and tips on how to keep the weight off?
    yep

avoid fad quick weight loss diets and do something that will help you learn better eating habits. stuff like portion control, staying within calorie goals, adding high density foods that will help keep you energized and feeling full
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The best success you can have is to eat clean (avoid these types of diets) and exercise 3 days a week or more. You said it yourself, "you gain the weight back quite quickly"
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend that. You should give yourself some time for it. These sorts of dieting puts pressure on your body for weight loss and as soon as you complete the diet and get back to your normal habits, boom the weight kicks in. So just go for the calm and steady approach.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

All of us would like to lose the weight quickly but that is not what it is about. It is ALL about maintaining a healthy weight.

How much success did you have if you plateaued then gained it back quickly? Why would you go back and try the same thing again?

To keep the weight off...you have to keep doing what you did to lose it in the first place. So do you think that you can stay on a 17 day diet for the rest of your life?
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
  • suekelso1
    Options
    To truly answer your question because sometimes you need a fad diet to jump start your weight loss and keep you motivated. I tried it but found it too restrictive. I have 2 friends that did it a couple years ago and by learning from this diet have kept it off. My mother will do it for 7-10 days if she wants to drop 5 lbs after the holidays or a vacation.

It's hard, it's very restrictive. If you were doing it with someone, it might be simpler.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My sister swears by the 17 day diet. SHe lost 20 #s on her 17 day cycle and kept it off. Now 2 years later she is working on another 20 #s.
  • gamer_geek
    Options
    thank you all for your advice and support i should have mentioned that i am doing this diet as well as using a tredclimber for an hour and a half each day
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Suggestion - dont do diets. They are derived from people thinking they are clever while trying to make money. Stick to what you like to an extent but just eat less and do some exercise to make up for your calorie excesses so your goals balance out.
  • kpott77
    Options
    I actually think the 17 Day Diet is a great way to learn healthy eating habits. For those that are unfamiliar with it, it's not actually a fad diet where you lose weight in 17 days. There are 17-day cycles that you constantly repeat. The first includes unlimited lean proteins and cleansing veggies,and restricted amounts of low-sugar fruits, probiotics and friendly fats. During the next 17 days, you introduce natural starches. Once you're on your way to healthy eating and weight loss, there are 2 more cycles that introduce more foods.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is, what happens after the 17 days? If you can do it and lose weight and then gain it back, obviously something is going on day 18+. I agree with the person who said that these diets can help us "jump start" weight loss, but it is really what happens afterwards that will determine your success. Or failure.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    To truly answer your question because sometimes you need a fad diet to jump start your weight loss and keep you motivated.

Nope, you don't have to do anything to jump start your weight loss except to eat at a moderate calorie deficit. Quick loss diets are called fad diets for a reason- they come and they go, and most of the time people gain the weight back once the fad has passed.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I've been on a new diet for 365 and lost 46lbs but then the holidays just recenlt came enjoyed myselg gained 5lbs. got back oon my diet and lost 1lb in one week. now i lost total ***see tickler below****
  • ariella72
    Options
    It seems to me that most people on here haven't read the book. I just read it this last weekend and can see the benefits of doing this diet. Yes, it's restrictive for 17 days as far as you are only allowed to eat healthy foods, which is good for overweight people to do. Considering I've been eating badly for ten years, I think my body can handle 17 days of eating really, really healthy. The next three stages of the diet ease you back into a style of eating that is normal and good. It doesn't leave you up in the air after you've reached your goal weight. You eventually are able to go back to adding in a few meals a week of the things that got us here in the first place, but in moderation, which is healthy. I am starting it today and determined to adhere to it strictly.
  • chasethesky125
    Options
    This is soo late, but if you follow the entire book, from Cycle 1 to Cycle 4, you should be able to keep it off, I own the book, and from what I see, Cycle 4 is a guideline of how to stick to a normal 2,000 calorie every day diet
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you think it will work for you, then I say give it a shot. If you find that it doesn't, then come back and we will try to advise you on another path. :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

That's because any "success" you would have in 17 short days likely isn't fat loss...so the "plateau" you experience is no more water weight to lose...and the weight you gain back "quite quickly" is replenishing that water weight/glycogen stores/etc.

Meaningful and significant fat loss takes time. There is no shortcut/secret/tip. Set a reasonable calorie deficit and stick to it for a sufficient period of time and you will see results. The end.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

That's because any "success" you would have in 17 short days likely isn't fat loss...so the "plateau" you experience is no more water weight to lose...and the weight you gain back "quite quickly" is replenishing that water weight/glycogen stores/etc.

Meaningful and significant fat loss takes time. There is no shortcut/secret/tip. Set a reasonable calorie deficit and stick to it for a sufficient period of time and you will see results. The end.

+1
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The premise of this diet is that you "change up your calorie count and food combinations to keep your metabolism in a fat-burning state because it is constantly guessing how much food it will have to process."

There is no food combination that will keep your metabolism in a fat burning state. Losing weight is all about creating a calorie deficit. You create this calorie deficit by eating less, exercising, or a combination of the both.

You gained your weight back because you stopped eating at a calorie deficit.