Question regarding 5k

chenders
chenders Posts: 12
edited September 18 in Fitness and Exercise
I am running my first 5k next month. Any suggestions on how often (how long) I should be running at this point?

Replies

• chenders
    I am running my first 5k next month. Any suggestions on how often (how long) I should be running at this point?
  • athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Well I ran my first 5K and ran it in 42 min (in Aug). Now I just ran this past weekend and ran it in 33 min and that is with for some reason having a side cramp and that time of the month. But if you go to runners.com you can put in your age and gender and it will tell you what you should be running. Hope this helps!!!! Have fun!!:wink:
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    I am running a 5K in 9 weeks! I have a schedule that I was given by a running club to slowly up your distance and speed. Interested?
  • jvball21
    jvball21 Posts: 33
    I just ran my first 5K on the 12th. I didn't follow any plan. As a matter of fact I signed up for it on the spur of the moment kind of thing when I realized I ran 4 straight miles outdoors for the first time this spring 2 weeks prior to the race. Before that I was just running indoors on the treadmill and the machine was way off on the mileage and speeds. According to my treadmill I was running 17 min miles:noway: Then when I ran outside, I took my GPS and found I ran 12 min miles. On race day I ran 10 min miles. Finished in 31 min:drinker:

But to answer your question. I think you should be running at least a couple miles every other day and maybe throw in a 3 mile run once a week prior to the race. They don't need to be continuous mile runs every time, walk if you need to, but try and keep it brisk as your doing it. Good luck
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,646 Member
    After doing research for my 5K, you should be running no less than 2 miles every other day and then one day a week should be your long run (race length or better). the inbetween days they suggest crosstraining (elliptical, bike, etc...)

read Jeff Galloway's website for great info. www.jeffgalloway.com
  • chenders
    Thank you for the info. I will visit that site.:smile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    If you REALLY want to train for it.

If you can already do a 5K then work on time, that means running 4 days a week, 2 days of more then the 5K at a medium pace (for you), and 2 days using the staggered approach where you run hard for 1 minute, then back off for 3 minutes down to a medium pace that you can sustain (slightly slower then the speed you do your medium days at), you should always try to run slightly longer then the race. If you can, every other week, skip a medium day and run the 5K at your best effort, that way you can gauge your splits, it's best to know what pace you run at so when race day comes, you can tell if you're going out too fast (many inexperienced runners start faster then they should because of all the excitement) before you get too far. With a month left, you should be able to improve your current time by between 30 seconds and 2 minutes depending on your level now and how serious you want to take it.

If you can't do a 5K yet running the whole way, then you need to build up wind. Use the same staggered approach as above but instead of 1 hard run 3 medium jog you want to do something more like 1 minute medium jog, 1 minute fast walk or slow jog. Do this 4 days a week, by the end of the second week you should be able to jog close to, if not all of the whole 5K.

Best of luck.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    I'm running my 1st 5 k next weekend. I've always ran, just never in a 5k race(I was a sprinter in HS, never liked peeps getting in front of me:bigsmile: )
    Now I run 6-7 days a week 4-7ish miles WITH AN IPOD. Can I run the 5k with my IPOD???? I hope so or it might not happen :tongue:
  • I'm running my 1st 5 k next weekend. I've always ran, just never in a 5k race(I was a sprinter in HS, never liked peeps getting in front of me:bigsmile: )
    Now I run 6-7 days a week 4-7ish miles WITH AN IPOD. Can I run the 5k with my IPOD???? I hope so or it might not happen :tongue:

Some races allow IPODs and some don't. You will have to check with your particular race organization and see what their rules on the matter are. I ran my first 5k last July and was not allowed to use my MP3 player and unfortunately my time was definitely affected. Right now I am training for my first 10k and I am training without music as I dont know what the rules are yet and I want to try and speed up without the music just in case. Good luck on your race!
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    I'm running my 1st 5 k next weekend. I've always ran, just never in a 5k race(I was a sprinter in HS, never liked peeps getting in front of me:bigsmile: )

Some races allow IPODs and some don't. You will have to check with your particular race organization and see what their rules on the matter are. I ran my first 5k last July and was not allowed to use my MP3 player and unfortunately my time was definitely affected. Right now I am training for my first 10k and I am training without music as I dont know what the rules are yet and I want to try and speed up without the music just in case. Good luck on your race!
    Guess I better ask. I don't think I can run with out it:sad:
    Good luck to you on your 10k!!!!:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.