stress and eating

Options
it is typical for me to overeat when stressed or depressed. do you have any advice for someone with high stress levels that just cant get up and go to the gym? i know exercise would help.... but its not so easy for me to just get up and go. i am a single mother of 4 kiddos (2 mine, 2 my irresponsible sisters) all under 5 years old, which adds to my stress as you could imagine, lol.

im not totally for sure where im going with this, i just needed to talk about it because i avoided logging on for about 4 days because i didnt want to face the reality of what i was eating. i guess i never realized how much of a cycle it all seems to be.

any words of advice?

:ohwell:

Replies

• countrymama08
    Options
    Do the kids nap around the same time? Or at least 2 at the same time. I have DVDs that I do with my 2 year old. She tries to do them too. Walk away the pounds is a good set.

I have to schedule my day and make a routine. I look at the day and when exercise is scheduled ,I go do it whether I want to or not. Making sure I am using my schedule helps me feel like I am controlling what I can so I feel a little less stressed about the things I cannot.

If finances will allow you to join a gym, look for one with daycare. I found over the summer when I was off work and I was alone, I loved that 45 minutes alone.

I also use my daughter as my exercise. We have crawling races, run outside in the park or yard, and do sit ups and leg lifts on the floor together.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I posted this before so it's a copy and paste.
    There's also a bunch of good advice here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/116273-suggestions-to-curb-appetite-when-stressed-or-upset
    This is what I have learned to do when stressed or when I want to eat my emotions.
    1. Find something else physical to do that doesn't involve chewing, and Stay away from my cupboards!
    It could be going out for a walk, go and finding a friend to talk to about what's bugging me, going to the library.
    2. Write about emotions if you have absolutely no one to talk to or you're afraid they would think you were a freak for feeling the way you do.
    3. Pray - not only is it good for you but it calms you down, they have done brain studies on it and found that it reduces stress.
    4. If you don't pray learn to meditate or you can use the two together. Meditation is also a natural way to decrease stress. - Meditation might not help the immediate mood of anger/stress but over the long term it will help you react less to stress, and learn to cope because the way your mind starts working is different.
    5. Take a bath, the warm water &, horizontal position helps your parasympathetic nervous system and you relax and it combats all the stress chemicals released in your body.
    6. Get mad! Go find a field, either drive there or walk there and let it all out, Stomp around, Holler, Tell the air and the birds why you're mad, get it all out. (If you can't find a field go to a graveyard and do it.) I know that might sound creepy, but if you're afraid of being seen people will just think you're grieving.
    7. Realize that when you Eat your Stress or your Anger you are only Punishing yourself, You're not punishing the person that made you mad, or stressed.
    8. Talk it out with someone, I think that sometimes we're really meant to talk out our problems instead of pushing them down. We're social creatures by nature and we're meant to have that support naturally.
    9. Stomp. I stomp when I get mad, I stomp around my house or if something is pissing me off inside, I go outside for a walk and stomp, Tai - Chi recommends a form of stomp to break up negative chi (energy) so I figured it would work if I got mad and it does.
    10. Realize that this to will soon pass. Is it really worth giving all your attention to? If not get it out and LET it GO!
    11. Do something about it in a healthy way and do not let it control you.
    12. Research stress busters. There's a ton of info out there on how to deal with stress naturally, and it will distract your mind from what's stressing you out.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i think a routine is an excellent idea. and yes i would enjoy about 45 minutes to myself. i currently belong to the rec center here in my home town, but they charge about 2.50 per kid and that $10 a day adds up, on top of what i already pay for childcare when i work. it just sort of seems like a never ending battle and the last thing on my mind should be my wieght you know? i know that just another excuse to not do what i need to do for myself, however... lol

i really like how you said, "Making sure I am using my schedule helps me feel like I am controlling what I can so I feel a little less stressed about the things I cannot." <-- sounds like exactly what i need.

i think the kids and i will do a little dancing later, although again i would prefer that time to myself... :wink:
  • iFeelBrandNew
    Options
    thanks saunya.... you're right. actually DEALING with the stress would be the first step. all of those ideas are excellent ones... staying away from the cabinets being the most important. self control is what it boils down to. maybe ill make it a rule that if im being emotional, im not allowed to go into the kitchen for ANYTHING. maybe ill get a punching bag... :explode:
  • ljmcquade
    ljmcquade Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was on wii fit earier and the fitness tip today was about stress. It suggests that you do something fun like wii fit balance games. They're quick and take you're mind off food and the stress.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    Options
    iver seriously considered purchasing a wii! not only will it work for me, but it will give the kiddos something different to do as well... you know, get out of my hair for a little while... lol :tongue: