Question for people who had 35/40 lbs to lose

Options
Hi everyone!
I have a question for those who had about 35 or 40 lbs to lose. How long did it take you and what did you do? I'm trying to set a realistic expectation for myself.
I joined mfp in 2012 and had pretty good success. I had lost 30 lbs and was 5-10lbs from my goal. Later in the year I had a situation that derailed me and I completely quit exercising and ate anything and everything. I have put all 30lbs back on. I finally feel like I am ready to get back at it, but I want to make sure I am setting reasonable goals for myself. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see what people found themselves.
Thanks!

Replies

• Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I heard 10 months:)
  • HeatherFP13
    HeatherFP13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    (and ugh lol)
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Since I signed up on MFP -- I've lost an average of 1 pound per week. I hope this helps! :happy:
  • HeatherFP13
    HeatherFP13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm aiming for :)
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    19 months and counting, not really actively trying anymore tho. I'll eat at maintanence most days and will throw in a lower calorie day if I'm in the mood
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    8 months for me, so basically 1 lb/week.
    I don't like losing it faster.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I started out pretty heavy (close to 400lbs), so when I first started, the weight came off quickly. I think I lost 50 lbs in the first four months. Now, I'm lucky if I get a one or two pound loss in a month.

I agree with those here (and elsewhere in MFP) who promote the "slow-go" approach. For me, it's not a race...it's a marathon. And marathons, for me, are more about continuing to run without stopping...not about burning through the course. :)

Good luck with whatever you choose! :smile:
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I started in December of 2011 and hit my 30 plus pounds in june/july of 2012.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40 lbs in about 5 months. I did weight watchers points plus and worked out about 3-4 days maximum. WW helped me a lot because it taught me how to portion control and make smarter choices, but now having found MFP, I wouldn't go back for anything :smile: On good weeks, I lost 2-3 lbs...worst of weeks it was 0 or a small plus. My best words of advice are to not get too engaged with the scale, take monthly progression pictures and measurements. They tell a MUCH better story than that nasty scale! Good luck to you; we've got your back!! :drinker:
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    40lb has taken me 10 months. I'm not sure what my rate is like any more but for the first 8 months it was 1 lb per week