Tips on Broken ankle recovery and PT?

Options
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience or tips they could share on recovering from torn ligaments in both ankles and a fracture?

I've been given the OK to start moderate weight bearing on my broken ankle and was encouraged to try light exercise if feels ok. I wear a compression/soft cast day to day and am on crutches. I've also started to feel bursitis in both my hips from increased activity post plaster cast.

I'm a keen swimmer anyway so i'm hoping that it will help my ankles if I start with light movements in the water?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks x

Replies

• Senneth12
    Options
    Do you have a good physical therapist? That would be the best place to start. They'll give you a ton of ankle exercises that seem stupid, but really help.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I did not have as bad of an ankle injury as you, just bad sprains. I was instructed to primarily use a stationary bike, swim if I could, and I was able to lift weights with the ankle taped- with some obvious exceptions, like squatting. I did upper body lifts, Stiff Leg deadlifts, and some very careful dumbbell lunges at the end.

Swimming was actually trickier than I expected- I was able to breaststroke but nothing even remotely close to a flutter kick- the first time I tried it was unbelievably painful.

But mostly the PT just wanted me seated on the stationary bike, unfortunately.
  • lila1958
    lila1958 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh my, so sorry you are going through all that! I assume you are going to be going through Physical therapy and they are going to work with you and give you exercises. I have had a broken foot, and peroneal tendinitis, in the same foot. The pool will be helpful if you have access to one. May help your hips too. You just need to go really slow and know that this will take some time to heal. (I hope you heal faster than I did!)
  • Aliceof2013
    Options
    Helpful tip re swimming experience, thank you.
  • MissyBrears
    MissyBrears Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In August of 2012 I had a trimalaeur fracture of my right ankle which means broke in 3 places. Metal plates and pins installed second surgery in may of 2013 to remove plates and pins as they were causing problems. I found the more I could push myself as far as exercise goes the better. I still have trouble with muscles and tendons being sore but am told the more I use it the better it will get.
  • AllieHaugland
    Options
    I fractured my fibula in March, was in an air cast for 4 weeks & am now in a very bulky brace for 3-4 months to make sure I don't roll it & break it again. Swimming was unbelievably difficult the first time I tried, it just plain hurt to do anything resembling a flutter kick. Breaskstroke/eggbeater felt a lot better. It's been 3 weeks out of the cast & I'm still finding it difficult to walk & there are still a couple sore spots. Getting frustrated that walking progress is going so slow.