When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I started having high blood pressure and I kept not fitting into my clothes because I continued to gain weight. Something has got to change this year. I was afraid my next check up I would find out I'm diabetic next or something else was wrong.
  • Daraquesada11
    Options
    I can relate to so many of you: the scale, tight clothes, pictures, etc. :cry:
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    A work colleague asked if I was pregnant
  • brittk2013
    brittk2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My husband is my biggest motivation for getting back on this site and more serious about my weight. He decided that he didn't like the number on the scale or how he was feeling so he was going to change it. I could definitely stand to get rid of the weight I gained in college so I decided to join him as it's always easier when you're doing it together.

Also, I don't like the number on the scale and am terrified of being an unhealthy mom in the future.
  • holmessteven
    holmessteven Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My Motivation came from when my girlfriend was rubbing my chest and grabbed a boob and said nice tits babe they're cute. In a sweet joking way but that kind of made me go...alright time to get on the ball here lol
  • fe_nyx
    fe_nyx Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A combination of things: my blood pressure issues and not wanting to be on medication for that forever, my kids wobbling my belly cos it looks funny, being sick of constantly tugging on my clothes to get them to sit right and hide the parts I don't like, and finally, the thing that topped it all off what a comment from my aunt "You're not *that* fat". So you don't think I'm that fat, but I'm still fat? Ahhhh....
    That was it for me. I knew all along I was overweight and needed to change things, and her comment was meant to be an innocent one, but it really hit me. I introduced a new lifestyle and mind set the very next day. Its still early days, but I feel better already :)
  • Focusisfab
    Options
    My last straw was when I tried on my old gym clothes and was too embarrassed to be seen in public in them.
  • kbenderfoh
    Options
    Im only 18, and i used to weigh 369 pounds. What made me change? I know i needed to change when i was put in the hospital at the age of 17 with the possibility of having a stroke! I had soo many health issues: type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, high blood sugars, sleep apena. I am currently down to 298, and i am no longer considered a diabetic, i dont have to medicine anymore! I still have a long way to go!!! My goal weight it somewhere around 170-190. So gotta keep pushing!! Good luck to all of you!!! Feel free to message me or add me!! :)
  • Aqua1813
    Aqua1813 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is my second go-around with weight loss.

The first time: (I believe) it was 2009. I hadn't weighed myself in a long time. I was probably around 240lbs. I checked my blood sugar one morning on my mother's glucose meter. To my shock, it was high. I was visiting my parents and I checked every day (a few times a day) for the week I was there: high every time and sometimes really high.

There was no denying what was happening and I knew I had to make a change right then and there. And I did. It took just over two years, but I got down to 160 lbs. My blood sugar went back to totally normal, and I stayed at that weight for a year and a half :)

The second time: I had been keeping the weight off until I got a job that made me (1) miserable and (2) work about 75 hours a week without breaks. I gained. And then I quit. While being unemployed, I gained. New job - now no clothes!

But really it was knowing that I was on my way to undoing all of my years of hard work., and the knowledge that my diabetes is just lying dormant waiting for me to gain weight.
  • irish6165
    irish6165 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It wasn't so much the laststraw as the last loss . I've had 2 members of my senior class pass away in as many days....it really makes you sit back and reassess what you are and what you want . I want to be as healthy as I can and be the best person I can be to those I love . That means being around for a long time . So.....that's where I'm at .
  • AndyTwoSlow
    Options
    I bought a new fencing uniform in 2012. Before they were a year old, i could barely zip everything up without having to suck it in. That's when I decided enough ***** footing around and get serious, not just think I could 'eat healthy' and lose weight.
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    There's a good motivated group started here, to lose 40 lbs in 40 weeks;

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1153844-almost-60-anyone-interested-in-losing-40-lbs-in-40-weeks

.. 40 weeks would take us into the first week of November

I'm trying to lose 50 lbs by my 50th birthday at the end of January 2015
    I am a type 2 diabetic with mild hypertension

Canookie
  • 7777Kerry7777
    Options
    I am determined to stick to this weight loss challenge as I am sick and tired of having the 3rd degree given to me every time I go anywhere with my snap happy family and friends about why I NEVER want my picture taken and always volunteer to take the pictures. I'm so tired of hearing all the "but you're beautiful" blah blah blah things they say just to get me in the pictures. I sometimes just end up giving in to them and being in the shot but I'm never smiling and look painfully uncomfortable in them so what is the point! I always feel they just want me in them to make themselves look better even though I know deep down this is not the case, it is my issue that I need to resolve. I'm going back to Disneyland (Paris) in a few months and I would like to be able to be happy to have my picture taken there for once.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump for more stories.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    lol no one reads anyone else's in these threads
  • Mommy_Tiffany
    Mommy_Tiffany Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started seeing myself in the reflection of my patio door and did not like what I saw. I started to break zippers to pants, my shirts weren't long enough and could not find proper bras to help cover all my handles / baggage. My daugther will be three and is so active and I want to be a part of her life and fund and childhood. The time to do something was now! I found a great new primary doctor who is NOT judgemental and gave me the confidence that I needed so here I am!!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    getting food poisoning from junkfood (poutine for those who know what that is)
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    I just wasn't happy and I hated my body. So I decided to do something about it.

Same!
  • aplatt41
    aplatt41 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It was a few weeks ago when my son kept looking at my stomach and asked me if I was having a baby! He is 6yrs old...so at that age they only tell the truth, Right? I have a photography business and was shooting a Wedding last weekend and my 2nd shooter took a picture of me.... I was going through her SD card and I see this horrible picture...I could not believe the weight I put on. WOW......That was my last straw. Feel free to add me. I need motivation.
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When my coat that I love started to feel snug. At that point I knew it was time to get back on track.