When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• KidDisasterJC
    Options
    Finally realizing the "me" in my head is about 30 pounds lighter than the me in the mirror. I guess it took my mind a few years to adjust to the new me.

Getting a new job and realizing that I am the fat one there...

And the fact that all the cute clothes in the store always sell out of my current size...
  • focus4715
    focus4715 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Looking at pictures and not being able to recognize myself and not fitting into my clothes and refusing to buy new ones.
  • lyndsiek2009
    Options
    My grandfather has fought a losing battle with his weight for all of his life. He has got diabetes, he is constantly in pain because of his legs, he can't take care of himself. Now, he is going to be in a nursing home for the rest of his life and he now has congestive heart failure. I cannot turn out like that. I want to be 90 years old and see my great-grandchildren. I want to be able to run and play with my wonderful daughter. Most importantly, I want to feel good about myself.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    stepping on a scale and finally putting a number to my size. 242 pounds at 20 was unacceptable.
  • motivationtolose4
    Options
    Not recognizing myself in the mirror and purposely being anti-social because I was embarrassed of my weight gain.
  • momof3boys090808
    momof3boys090808 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Many things but 1. My middle son said "mommy you look like you have baby in your belly" right infront of my husband. Def embarrassed and brushed e conversation off and said yup, mommy just fat :( 2. my husband and I relationship. I am so self conscious and very so ugh all the time. Can't fit into my cute skinny clothes so I'm always looking like a bum and I don't want to be a bum wife, I want to be a hot wife...that he wants to take on dates....and 3. The scale...I weighed myself and about had a heart attack. Have never weighed this much not being pregnant...so it's ME time again. I went to feel fabulous!!!
  • jeskuhsmeekers
    jeskuhsmeekers Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    well I had 3 kids in 2 years the last 2 being twins. I hadn't even lost the weight from my pregnancy with the first when i got pregnant with the twins. Now the twins are 10 mo and I realized I weigh more today than the day I had my son ( and he was a big boy 10lbs 8oz) I get asked all the time when i'm due and it is the worst feeling ever. I am not too proud of it but I have gone off on way too many strangers in the grocery store for asking when i'm due. FYI NEVER I MEAN NEVER ask a female when she's due unless you know for a fact she is... it is the most hurtful thing in the world. I never want to be asked that again...
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    when I was told my blood sugar was elevated and I did not want to become a diabetic before my time
  • Katec0042
    Katec0042 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My ex and I broke up and I realized I'd gained 50lb in the 3 years we'd been together! That put me over 200lb!
  • Kaylee09201992
    Options
    When I was weighed at a Doctors Appointment and realized that if I didn't do something soon I would hit 200.
  • joelnelthorpe
    joelnelthorpe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scales and saw the highest number I have even seen, that day my pants were tighter than they'd ever been. Almost 3 years with the same girl and we've obviously become a bit to comfortable.
  • labellamireya
    labellamireya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Needing an accommodation for a CPR class.
  • ChristinaCCRN
    ChristinaCCRN Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my weight around my midsection. Within the past year I've been asked numerous times when I was expecting. Not even cool. I'm totally even single.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My husband telling me many times how he resents being tied to me because I'm fat.
  • tjmiller888
    Options
    I'm sorries you ladies had to endure that. You'd think they'd use a bit more discretion in their assumptions - especially the ones from church! What ever will they say when you all stroll in with your new and improved bodies? Good luck!
    Oh yeah, my moment was being unable to find jeans in my size, looking down and seeing "batwings", knowing I couldn't fly and getting winded walking across the street to the mailbox. That isn't like me. I let my depression take over my live and now I'm taking it back!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My husband telling me many times how he resents being tied to me because I'm fat.

I SO hope you lose the weight and dump him.
  • gpcdeleon
    Options
    I've always been contented with the way I look. I'm a bit curvy but I'm okay with that. But then recently I've come to realize how weak I was. We went on a trip to go hiking and I could not last long. And I'm only 23 so it alarmed me that I could not keep up with my friends. So I'm basically doing this to be stronger!
  • gblaise
    gblaise Posts: 12
    Options
    Not being able to fit into my "sexy" jeans anymore, the birth of my nephew 3 months ago, and my new job working with kids. I have a lot to keep up with.
  • FlabToFabJourney
    Options
    Where to begin?
    I am so tired of trying and trying again - this time determined to succeed! I am missing out on my daughter's childhood - sitting on the sidelines, instead of swimming with her in the pool, going horse riding, cycling, etc. Avoiding outings that I would love to participate in, because I am embarrassed about how I look. A hot summer, with no decent swimming costume to be found (seriously, I told the shop assistant - I am FAT, not 70!!). My clothes all look awful, I have so little to wear, but a cupboard full of them. Being the fat one at work (and avoiding meetings which could assist me, because I don't want people to see me).
    Then the health issues.... snoring (Yes, I admit it! Not a great feeling when you wake up to find your husband has retreated to the lounge), chafing, swollen ankles and feet, I am worried about Cancer and diabetes (both in my family) and heart disease (my father died aged 40), but thankfully have not had trouble with these YET. Basically, its a ticking time bomb... so I am changing NOW!!
    I am turning 40 this year, and I know it will be even more difficult thereafter. But.. I am mostly tired of not living, so here goes... watch me.
    I am so glad to have found MFP, everyone is an inspiration.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options

I SO hope you lose the weight and dump him.

Not as easy as that.
    We have kids.
    I'm not in my home country. About as far away from my family and friends as you can get on this planet.
    Don't have any support here.