What Exercise worked for you?

Options
I'm trying to start an exercise plan. I really want to become a runner but I don't know how to start and what's better, day or night? Before work or after work? I don't know if I want to just hit the gym 7 days a week or what. What worked for you guys? What's the benefits of your exercise?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you want to run, google the c25k or couch to 5k program. There are plenty out there and they are all pretty similar. Find an overview online, and if you've got a smartphone, download an app. Many are free - I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs and it worked great.

The best time to run or exercise is any time that works best for YOU. Some run or workout after work, some grab a run or walk on a lunch break, some get up early and get it done before work or school. If you want it, you make time and get it done. :smile:

It's not necessary to hit the gym 7 days a week - in fact rest days are very important for letting the body rest, muscles heal and repair. I always take at least one rest day per week. And rest doesn't necessarily mean couch potato - go for a walk, take an easy bike ride, whatever. But I don't do any planned aggressive exercise on rest days.

Benefits? Strength, flexibility, endurance, more energy, I feel better, it's good for my body and my mind.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    No need to run or hit the gym 7 days a week, especially if you're a beginner. You're going to hate it, burn yourself out, and then quit.

Try to incorporate weight lifting into your routine. You will look better and be stronger if you lift as well.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm using the zombies run 5k app to prep for a 5k. it works on your smartphone.

i workout 4-6 days a week,45-60 minutes but that's because i love exercise and have pretty much kept to at least that minimum for the past 20+ years of my life (destroying the myth that you can't regularly exercise AND gain enough weight to become obese :laugh: ). 65% of my workouts are high intensity and the other half are more steady state.

i work out with weights 3 days a week and do cardio 2-3 days a week. i'll also take advantage of local groupon/living social deals and do stuff like yoga, kickboxing, capoeira, pole dancing, trampolining, etc. anything that sounds like it might be fun to try.

benefits of my exercise : stress release, keeping strength , mobility and flexibility as i age, upkeep a baseline of fitness.

i would suggest finding stuff that you like to do and work that in to your daily routine.