Do you have any health problems associated with your weight?

Options
I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I'm aware it's directly related to my weight. The Dr. told me when I lose the weight, I lose the diagnosis. I have to sleep with a C-PAP and I'm extremely bothered by that. Quitting is not an option for me. I'm ready to shred the pounds and get healthy. Add me if you'd like :)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    possibly high blood pressure. it could also be genetic since i have a thin grandmother who also has HBP, her dad also had issues with BP and water retention in general and was also slim. the only way to know for sure if my HBP is caused by being overweight is by losing enough weight that i'm technically back in the healthy range
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have a bulging disc in my back that is directly correlated to my weight (current 201 but my highest was somewhere above 255) the more I lose the less it bulges and bothers me. Losing the 50+ pounds so far in the past year's time saved me from surgery and brought back most of the feeling in my toes that had been numb due to the disc pressing on nerves.

I also have weak joints which could be genetic (my dad's side all have joint problems yet are all pretty trim) however even if it IS genetic I know that carrying the extra weight just makes it worse. My mom was fat all my life, still is actually but has lost a ton and is working on it, and had to have double knee replacement at just 52. That's less than 20 years from now for me. Yikes!!

I snore like nobody's business and am pretty sure I have sleep apnea though never been diagnosed and I know that too is weight related since I didn't snore at all before I got pregnant the first time and started the gaining game. My husband reports the snoring has increased steadily in volume and frequency as I've gotten heavier through the years. He doesn't notice if I have the classic sleep apnea "stop breathing" snoring pattern only because HE too has obstructive sleep apnea due to his weight, and wears a nasal CPAP so he can't hear me as well over the whoosh of the air from his machine lol. It's one of the things I want to get checked out now that I'm insured again.

I have asthma that is not caused by my weight but is exacerbated by it and have been told that I could probably reduce my reliance on inhalers if I lose some pounds.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have Sleep Apnea which has improved with my weight loss, not enough yet to stop using the C-PAP machine but improving, I also have lung and heart issues, that were made much worse with being heavier, but they have improved greatly over the year as I get healthier. I've been taken off of almost half my prescriptions and the ones that I will probably always remain on have been cut in half. My resting heart rate before I started was on average 140-150 .. now its 60-70.

So you can improve your health. I'm hoping this year to give up the c-pap machine, and continue improving my overall health
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have lumbar osteoarthritis (running is the main cause) and I got two lumbago in a month because of my overweight. I feel much better (no symptom for a couple of weeks) since I lost some weight but I am still at the beginning of the road. Any extra pound to my ideal weight is multiplied by 5-8 on my joints, so that losing weight and keeping it low is not an option either, especially since I want to enjoy life and keep on carrying my baby.

I used to set very specific goals for my weight loss but since this time it HAS TO BE (and for the rest of my life) I do not really pay attention about the time it takes as long as it is improving. Most of unhealthy foods are bad for my joints (burned fat, soda, alcohol, lot of red meat, etc.) which make the diet-weight loss relationship easier.

Do not hesitate to add me since it looks like we have the same imperatives.

Eating better should help you sleep better, which should give you positive energy to eat better. Wish you the best on your virtuous circle and healthy road.
  • kiekie33
    Options
    My blood pressure tends to be a little high sometimes but it also runs in my family so I can't say for sure. shedding some pounds probably wouldn't hurt though
  • BrittneyJ2006
    BrittneyJ2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    possibly high blood pressure. it could also be genetic since i have a thin grandmother who also has HBP, her dad also had issues with BP and water retention in general and was also slim. the only way to know for sure if my HBP is caused by being overweight is by losing enough weight that i'm technically back in the healthy range

Ok. It definitely could be. Two of my siblings have it and they are thin. I've been overweight but mine is normal. Hopefully it's not genetic. You can do it :)
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    Since being underweight, my back pain has gotten worse along with overall joint and body pain. I was recently diagnosed with scoliosis which I do think plays a part in my back pain but my low weight certainly doesn't help. I'm hoping that by gaining weight, my symptoms will subside or be easier to manage than they are at the moment.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    Disclaimer-the following is merely MYown opinion..

I developed heart arythmia afew years ago..my mother has it too. the problem with HA is they have to "catch" it in order to treat it. I remember my mother wearing a monitor for weeks at a time. Well, I went thru the same thing..could never catch the HA. I know the doctors thought I was crazy.

I was on the overweight side..not by a whole bunch...but definantly not in the healthy range for my height. I asked them about my weight possibly contributing to my HA..I was told that was foolish.

Since loosing the weight..all 35 pounds..I have YET to experience a HA episode..Im not saying it was caused by my weight..I think its genetic..but the excess weight was certainly not HELPING it and making it worse.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly no. Even at my HW (307) I did not have any but that's a big reason I'm here, to avoid that happening.
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    I have a bulging disc in my back that is directly correlated to my weight (current 201 but my highest was somewhere above 255) the more I lose the less it bulges and bothers me. Losing the 50+ pounds so far in the past year's time saved me from surgery and brought back most of the feeling in my toes that had been numb due to the disc pressing on nerves.

I also have weak joints which could be genetic (my dad's side all have joint problems yet are all pretty trim) however even if it IS genetic I know that carrying the extra weight just makes it worse. My mom was fat all my life, still is actually but has lost a ton and is working on it, and had to have double knee replacement at just 52. That's less than 20 years from now for me. Yikes!
    I snore like nobody's business and am pretty sure I have sleep apnea though never been diagnosed and I know that too is weight related since I didn't snore at all before I got pregnant the first time and started the gaining game. My husband reports the snoring has increased steadily in volume and frequency as I've gotten heavier through the years. He doesn't notice if I have the classic sleep apnea "stop breathing" snoring pattern only because HE too has obstructive sleep apnea due to his weight, and wears a nasal CPAP so he can't hear me as well over the whoosh of the air from his machine lol. It's one of the things I want to get checked out now that I'm insured again.

I have asthma that is not caused by my weight but is exacerbated by it and have been told that I could probably reduce my reliance on inhalers if I lose some pounds.

Well I hope those conditions will change with your weight loss. And you should definitely get checked for Sleep Apnea. Snoring is what sent me there. The sleep study was unpleasant the first night with all the wires, but with the mask I slept better.
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    Aside from occasional foot pain, no.
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    Surprisingly no. Even at my HW (307) I did not have any but that's a big reason I'm here, to avoid that happening.

That's great! Preventative measures
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    No not yet thats why I decided to do something to combat it.....I do however suffer from joint pain and other related pains due to Chronic Lyme Disease
  • valentinomj3
    Options
    I had an annual physical right before Christmas, blood work showed a fasting blood sugar of 140--so I am pre-diabetic, which is no doubt remated to the 30-40 lbs I need to lose!! ALSO HIGH CHOLESTEROL. I am a vegetarian for five years so red meat is not the problem, too many carbs!
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    Since being underweight, my back pain has gotten worse along with overall joint and body pain. I was recently diagnosed with scoliosis which I do think plays a part in my back pain but my low weight certainly doesn't help. I'm hoping that by gaining weight, my symptoms will subside or be easier to manage than they are at the moment.

I remember being tested for Scoliosis in middle school. Well more like a quick screen. You can do it :)
  • ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My PCOS is worse when I am heavier now that I have lost 10kg with still 22kg to go, my cycles are regular. I used to suffer from high blood pressure but that has got better and I am sure I was pre diabetic when heavier.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    at 300 lbs I was pre-diabetic and had high blood pressure. I didn't want to end up on medication, so I started taking better care of myself. Less than 6 months after I started losing weight and exercising, those problems disappeared.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I had sleep apnea, snored like crazy, high blood pressure, achy knees, etc.

All of it gone now. :D
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Thankfully nothing really other than female issues. Since I have been losing weight since last year, for the first time in my life, my monthly cycle is *almost* normal and actually MONTHLY! Not too thrilled about it, but meh, my weight was a factor for sure.
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    Hi,

I have lumbar osteoarthritis (running is the main cause) and I got two lumbago in a month because of my overweight. I feel much better (no symptom for a couple of weeks) since I lost some weight but I am still at the beginning of the road. Any extra pound to my ideal weight is multiplied by 5-8 on my joints, so that losing weight and keeping it low is not an option either, especially since I want to enjoy life and keep on carrying my baby.

I used to set very specific goals for my weight loss but since this time it HAS TO BE (and for the rest of my life) I do not really pay attention about the time it takes as long as it is improving. Most of unhealthy foods are bad for my joints (burned fat, soda, alcohol, lot of red meat, etc.) which make the diet-weight loss relationship easier.

Do not hesitate to add me since it looks like we have the same imperatives.

Eating better should help you sleep better, which should give you positive energy to eat better. Wish you the best on your virtuous circle and healthy road.

I'm glad it has gotten better with your weight loss! And you're right, it is a lifetime change. I've cut out all the unhealthy foods you named. It's only my second day, but I've lost weight before so I know I can do it. I sleep much better with the machine. I wish you the best as well. I'll add you. Thanks!