Need to lose weight-never thought I'd be this way!

Options
I'm 37 and need to lose weight. I never thought I would ever be in this position. Up until 10 years prior I was a slim guy with a great body. I was the kind or person people would say was fit and I was always complimented on this and the fact that I could eat what I liked and not gain weight. I liked how I looked in the mirror it was great. As I started to do better at my job and started to jump from one great job to the next the money started to increase. I didn't need to think twice about eating at the best places and slowly my weight started to pile on. I think I was in denial this was going on, even when I was spending on clothing which were increasing in size every few months and a belly was starting to develop and get bigger and bigger.
A couple of events have made me look at myself and what I'm doing to me. My one uncle died due to heart issues related to his weight. Another uncle suffered a stroke last year. I realise now that I'm going to go the same way if I don't do anything. I had one last high calorie unhealthy meal on the 31st of December. 1st January I decided will be the first day of my journey back to healthy eating and exercise. I have basically told myself it's either healthy eating and exercise or death in a few years. Maybe it is overdramatic but I need the shock to my thinking or I will carry on as I always have.

I am using this site to track my weight and to track calories. I look forward to learning about other peoples experiences. I have already seen a loss in weight and my mindset is calm and is not craving bad foods. The other day I wanted a chocolate so I had some- but I only had a small piece from the bar. It was the taste I was craving-and that one small piece was okay for me.
Anyway that's my story so far!

Replies

• mslisalisa
    Options
    Hi Mrdee...I think its great that you have opened up on this forum about your weight loss goal. It takes alot of courage to share your story and I commend you for it.

I'm glad you've come to myfitnesspal as your tool to help you lose the weight.

What else are you doing to lose the weight? Are you on an exercise program?

Are you in challenge group of any sort? Please let me know how I can support you in your goals.
  • NoMoreStretchyPants
    Options
    I don't think any of us thought we would be overweight and up-happy with ourselves. I know I didn't. I used to be extremely fit and then in 2010, I gave up smoking and had a baby in 2012. Here I am, 40lbs heavier than I should be...

You can do this!

Feel free to add me as a friend. (Anyone reading this, feel free to add me as well). I am looking to make friends with people who will tell it to me straight and help me get the best body I can.
  • mrdee0
    mrdee0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just discovered this forum again and realized I had never replied back to it. Well two years later and I am doing the best I can. I gave up after a few months and my weight went the highest I have ever seen it-stopped using myfitness. Then I tried again for a few months by trying to reduce calories and trying to be a little more active. But July 2015 I went back to my old habits. Then December 2015 rolled along and I decided to try again! A new gym has opened up and I have paid for a year subscription so I will be forced to excercise. I purchased an expensive juicer machine for an alternative to fizzy drinks. I am not starving myself and eating treats but making sure I don't overdo it. I try to walk wherever possible leaving my car at home. It is working. The secret for me is to take a gentle approach and not to deny myself the treats if I feel like it. This makes it actually much easier to say no or limit amounts of the bad treats. It's been three months and I have lost wieght. The new gym opens in April and I'm looking forward to it...