Heart Rate when exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    resting heart rate normally is 60-70 (depending). Heart rate during exercise is 100-160 (again, depending). I measure it by taking my pulse directly after a set for 10 seconds, then multiplying it by 6 to get bpm.

Depending on what? Resting heart rate can be anywhere from 40-100, based on the fitness of the person and their overall health. Heart rate during exercise is very dependent on effort, and again on the fitness and overall health of the person. And don't take your pulse for 10 seconds and then multiply it, that's not nearly as accurate as just counting for the whole 60 seconds. Hearts don't beat in precision.

If you are counting heart rate immediately after exercise, you cannot count the pulse for 60 seconds. Heart rate starts to drop within 15 secs after you stop and it can drop 20-30 beats in the first minute. So, a 60 sec cont is useless.

During steady-state exercise, it is not necessary to count for 60 sec because HR is usually very consistent, so a 10-15 second count is perfectly fine.

For the most part, unless there is an underlying rhythm abnormality (in which case counting HR is not going to be that effective anyway), heart rate during exercise is very regular, as long as one is at steady-state.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I started to use my hr monitor, after I had been running a couple of months. My max hr got to 202 (I am 45--just calculate what my "max" was supposed to be) playing soccer. And when I would jog/run my hr would get to 180's going not very fast. I just stopped high/low alarms by setting them to 200/50.

As long as you are able to talk while running you are fine. Chest pain/dizziness/severe shortness of breath with exercise means see a doctor. And sprints will cause you to have a pounding heart. Just slow down.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    tl;dr responses, but on skimming I didn't see anyone mention calibrating your HRM to determine your zones. Check your manual for a procedure - it may be called calibration, custom zones, fitness assessment, or something similar. And then probably turn off the beep anyway, because it will mess with your head for no good reason.
  • Lys2
    Lys2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to imply that any journal published such results. The story was anecdotal; my memory was that the person telling it was involved, but perhaps not. I did just find "The Surprising History of the 'HRmax=220-age' Equation" by Robert A Robergs & Roberto Landwehr. It's nice and short at 10 pages.

Journal of Exercise Physiologyonline
    Official Journal of The American
    Society of Exercise Physiologists (ASEP)
    ISSN 1097-9751
    An International Electronic Journal
    Volume 5 Number 2 May 2002

They say "Surprisingly, there is no published record of research for this equation. As will be explained, the origin of the formula is a superficial estimate, based on observation, of a linear best fit to a series of raw and mean data compiled in 1971." They conclude -- after reviewing much maxHR research-- that "there is no acceptable method to estimate HRmax." (They also give some suggestions in the even one feels the need to estimate it anyway.)

So I stand corrected.