Ways to lose water weight?

Options
I feel like I am probably carrying around a few pounds of water weight but I'm not sure how to lose it. Diuretic? Special drink? Food regimen?

Here's a little about my routine:
300 cal breakfast burrito each morning
Soup, salad, or sandwich for lunch
Dinner is usually veggies, chicken, and sometimes add whole wheat pasta or bread
Drink about 3 cups water per day
Work out about 30 minutes every week day

But the thing I think might be causing it is that I literally drink about 120 ounces of iced tea per day :ohwell: No sugar, sweetener, flavoring.. Just brewed unsweet iced tea (sometimes green). I've heard it is a diuretic and I've heard it isn't.

Any suggestions? Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Do not take a diuretic, those things are completely unnecessary unless prescribed by a doctor. If you take too many they can be dangerous too.

Why do you think it's water retention?

Are you gaining weight, maintaining weight, or losing weight? Actually, I see by your ticker that you have lost a pound. In what amount of time did you lose that pound?

Iced tea is not going to make your retain water. If anything, it has diuretic properties in it.

I get rid of water retention by drinking loads of water--about 8 to 14 glasses a day. I love water, though.

As for your diet you mentioned, that seems awful low in calories.

Good luck.
  • Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Your meal plan appears to be high in sodium. While it doesnt seem like it, bread has a lot of sodium in it.

Sometimes, we just retain water from one bad meal for days. Sometimes working out will cause an increase in water retention in the muscles too.

Hang in there. I too am back at this and water retention is the worst for me.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    right now I'm trying to lose but havent had any luck. I've been working out regularly since the week of Thanksgiving and I'm down only one stinkin pound! :( I was down 4 at one point but it went back up and hasn't left again.

I fell like it's water retention just because some days my face and stomach look more bloated than others, especially around "that" time of the month, I have a very flat stomach.

Good point on the sodium, I'm sure thats a big factor. maybe I just need to make it a goal to drink more water.
  • akc52
    akc52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree: more water, less sodium.
    Is your breakfast burrito homemade? What about the soup? Those are two other typically-high sodium sources.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Have you entertained the thought that it might just not be water weight?

or

Possibly is water weight but it is the appropriate water weight for your body?
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    burrito is homemade. soup isn't. Might have to start making my own to take with me!

elliott I'm starting to wonder. I appreciate the help everyone, I will use all the advice and figure this out! :)