It's nothing special..just working out and eating healthy

Options

Replies

• MelliCheer
    Options
    I've been getting this more and more recently. They are always disappointed by the lack of "special pills". If I had a dollar for every person that changed the subject after I revealed my secret (count calories, eat better, exercise) I'd be able to afford the shopping spree that's coming now that none of my spring/summer clothes fit.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm always curious what exercise people do when they have lost a lot of weight because i am always trying to liven up my own exercise plans.

I know there was a lady at work that lost a lot of weight recently and everyone assumed she was ill, but she had just eaten healthily and moved a lot more and in the process lost a whole lot of weight.

well a big thing that people don't do is switch it up..If you switch it up alot and do more than one thing you'll be surprised how much you'll lose

I do about 1 hr of cardio and 20-30 mins of strength training..and on mondays I just do zumba

this is where i go wrong i get into a comfort exercise zone and don't switch it up a gear. This time round I am looking to keep changing my exercise so that i can push myself harder. You train more than I do, so i maybe need to haul my *kitten* to the gym a lot more frequently. thanks for sharing your exercise.
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My husbands aunt recently asked what we were doing to lose the weight. I told her it was revolutionary we eat less and exercise. Her response, "oh ****". Everyone is looking for that pill, but the pill is really a mindset.

Now that I'm doing triathlons I notice people don't ask so much about the weight. They seem to have a guilt response when I tell them I biked 22 miles on Saturday and ran 6 miles on Sunday. Without asking I get a whole host of reasons why they can't do it -- other commitments, small children, medical conditions. I ask everyone to join me in training, but I'm not judging anyone. I was severly overweight for a good 10-12 years. I'm just glad the pill finally exploded in my head and I realize I have control.
  • ababygrace
    ababygrace Posts: 123
    Options
    There will always be someone that wants to put you down when you are successful. I would take it as " at least they are noticing a change" . That is the most important thing. Congratulations on your weight loss and keep up the hard work.
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    I hate that when people who don't even know you assume if you're losing large amounts of weight that you must be doing something wrong,like starving yourself or something. That personally pisses me off because I work my *kitten* of EVERYDAY to lose those lbs..So don't jump to conclusions

I know what you mean. When people ask me how I lost so much weight and I say counting calories and exercise, they look so disappointed that there's no magic trick or a meth addition or something to attribute it to.
  • HeatherFord
    Options
    I guess doing it the hard way is what makes the weight loss for good...
    Amazing job you're doing, I'm following you :)
  • boomstick13s
    Options
    Just jealousy... he'll get over it
  • veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Then there's the people who won't say anything - but they're looking you up and down like they can't believe their eyes. Jealousy and ignorance - not a good combination. Why can't we all just get along?
  • bethli
    bethli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Keep it up!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Ugh, people suck sometimes. I've lost nearly 50 lbs in the past 4 1/2 months but no one in my family knows because I live 2,000 miles away. But I know that when I finally get down to goal weight and come to see them they are going to assume that I did it the wrong way. I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for people treating me the same way they are treating you, but I know it will be tough. My biggest fear is that people in my family will assume I had weight loss surgery and not believe me when I tell them that I did it "the old fashioned way".
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This is a really great thread. I am at a weight were the ten pounds lost doesn't show but I am determined for this to be a lifelong lifestyle change. I appreciate the heads up about the weird reactions folks are having to your sensible "boring" weight loss. The magic pills comments crack me up.

I hope sometime next spring (when the winter clothes are changed for lighter gear) that I will get these comments and smile knowingly and think "Ah yes, the magic pill syndrome!".
  • TruSunshine
    Options
    Thanks so much for this thread! :flowerforyou: You are absolutely right! I know exactly what you mean. I have dealt with that a lot. All the time, people ask me how am I losing weight and I say counting calories and exercise, they look as if I’m lying or don’t want to give them my “diet” secret. It makes me want to scream: “Come people, it’s not that hard. Put the junk down, get your butt off the couch, and start moving! Do you need a mathematical equation?! Well here you go,” Less junk + More exercise = Weight Loss!! :huh:
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I tell everyone that I "OWN" my weight loss because I was NOT on any kind of program. I'm not knocking those who are on programs but it's like you said-people assume you did it with help or through starving. It's not rocket science....
  • janet67
    janet67 Posts: 38
    Options
    Good for you. . .you sound like a strong and secure woman, and we need more people like you in the world. Congratulations on committing to eating healthy, working out and getting fit. Is that your son in the picture with you? He is adorable and you are setting such a good example for him. Tell the "nay sayers" to "stuff it" and do what your are doing!
    I would love to have you as a friend on the site!!
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You are so right!

Last week I went to an Italian restaurant for lunch with some colleagues, and since I already knew that I was having a big dinner, I just had parma ham and melon with salad instead of a whole 14 inch pizza. This must have got the work gossip machine started.

Today we had a lunch buffet and I picked out a pretty normal lunch of sandwiches and fruit (three hundred and something calories). Before I found out about the free food (hey, I'm NEVER going to turn down a free lunch :p), I'd already eaten a small slice of cake I'd left in the fridge on Friday, but nobody saw me eat that because I was in my office. So basically between breakfast, cake and lunch I'd eaten a pretty decent amount and was around halfway though my calorie allowance for the day.

What I did NOT appreciate was the person who saw me with the fruit but not the cake or sandwiches commenting (loudly enough to draw people's attention) "You need to eat more than that, you'll waste away at the rate you're going!".

Oh, do I? Will I? Firstly, I barely know you; don't be so rude. Secondly, I haven't even seen you for six months so you're in no position to judge the rate I've lost weight at. Thirdly, you don't know what I've already eaten today, or what I'm planning to eat for dinner, so butt out!

I didn't say any of that of course (much as I would have loved to - I'm only ever confrontational in my head and after the fact!), just smiled sweetly and said 'actually I'm done with the sandwiches and cake already, the fruit is my third course'. Let 'em work that one out! :)
  • cakenedith2
    cakenedith2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    people who makes those comments are the opposite of what we need on this site! what ever happened to being supportive? losing weight is hard and for me, it's an emotional process.

thank you for your post and just keep doing what your doing!

i would love to be your friend!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    (I only read the first couple posts in here, so if I missed something, excuse me.)

Here's why people make those comments: Personal insecurity. Eating healthy, limiting calories and exercising are HARD WORK. Plain and simple, it's the best way to lose weight, but not the easiest. It's human nature to want a quick fix and not have to work for it, so when they see someone having success who's doing it "right," they want to hear that the person isn't really doing it "right." It makes them feel better.

I did WW before this, and it's basically the same thing -- just a different way of tracking. Do you know how many people told me WW "didn't work" for them?

Nope. WW works. Counting calories works. It's the person who doesn't. It's tough to accept weakness in onesself.
  • BrayyNicole
    BrayyNicole Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    AGREEE! I get that all the time..

Esp from my friends I dont see too often.

"If you dont start eating, youre going to blow away." -- i hear it all too often.

Its like.. I AM eating.. just not 2 quarter pounders with cheese, a large fry, and a coke like I used to. :D
  • sally150
    sally150 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You preach it and I'll turn the pages! You're right.....keep it up!
  • LosingLbsAndGainingConfidence
    Options
    Good for you. . .you sound like a strong and secure woman, and we need more people like you in the world. Congratulations on committing to eating healthy, working out and getting fit. Is that your son in the picture with you? He is adorable and you are setting such a good example for him. Tell the "nay sayers" to "stuff it" and do what your are doing!
    I would love to have you as a friend on the site!!
    Thanks! And yes that is my son :) he's my world..hes one of the things that keeps me going..I would never want him to be embaressed of his fat mom..or have to deal with seeing me sick or anything that was caused by being overweight..and I would never want him to go through the things I did while I was a child for being overweight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!