300+ Calories

Options
I am 6 weeks pregnant, and they say I have to add 300+ calories a day for the baby. But I am already so overweight I am afraid to do that. Ever since I got pregnant I have been stomach gurgling hungry 24/7. Before I got pregnant I ate one big meal for dinner and drank coffee the rest of the time. Since I found out I am pregnant (December 26th) I quit drinking coffee (only tea now), I am eating a least 5 or 6 little healthy snacks during the day, and my husband and I exercise at least 5 days a week. I feel great but have gained 5 pounds. I have no idea what the 5 pounds came from because I am only doing cardio when I work out.

Please help! I am open to any suggestions!!

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Are drinking lots of water?
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but I've read on other pregnancy sites that you can eat at mainenance for the first trimester and then add 300 the second. You can use this calculator to find your TDEE or maintenance level: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ but always check with your doctor for meeting your nutritional needs.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. I was overweight (70+ pounds) with all 3 of my kids. I was told just to concentrate on eating healthy foods and not worry about additional calories. (I gained 32 with my 1st, 12 with 2nd and 7 with 3rd.)
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I didn't change my eating at all and gained 10 lbs by week 6...In my belief it's your body adjusting to the hormones more than likely. You have a whole lot of "stuff" going on in your body right now and unfortunately weight gain is one of the outcomes. With my first pregnancy I gained a TON of weight in the beginning and then just evened out at the end. The second, I lost weight in the beginning and then gained only 10 pounds through the entire thing. This one I've gained 10 pounds already and I seem to be holding steady at that.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1920-fit-fabulous-pregnant- Here's a link to the pregnant group that may be more helpful to you.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    You don't have to add calories if you are already overweight, but if you are hungry, I'd suggest eating a little something. Never let yourself go hungry, but you don't have to stuff yourself when you aren't hungry just to reach a magic number. Keep exercising, but if you plan on starting something new and strenuous, please check with your doctor first. Drink lots of water. That five pounds is probably just retained water from the new levels of hormones your body is producing.

Oh and congrats on the little bundle of joy in the future. Best of luck!
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I read recently that no extra calories are needed for the first half of a pregnancy at all and only 200 are needed per day in the last trimester. This was in an article about pregnancy myths and why 'eating for two' isn't true.

Hope this helps
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    ...and my husband and I exercise at least 5 days a week. I feel great but have gained 5 pounds. I have no idea what the 5 pounds came from because I am only doing cardio when I work out.

If the workout routine is new or significantly more strenuous than it's been, you're probably retaining water. Your body uses up glycogen stores during cardio and wants to replenish them, but it needs water to do that. Just stick with it and stay hydrated; your body will adjust eventually. Also, don't be afraid of resistance training. You won't gain weight from it, but it will help you retain muscle while losing fat. Of course, I say all this with the caveat that you need to check with your doctor before changing up your exercise routine while pregnant. Congrats, btw!
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Before I got pregnant I ate one big meal for dinner and drank coffee the rest of the time.

This really stuck out to me; I'm surprised no one else has commented on this yet.

When you say "one big meal" are you saying you had a full day's worth of calories at dinner (i.e. >1200) or do you mean that you had a large meal but were still eating a low amount of calories (<=1200) per day?

I can't imagine eating a full day's worth of calories at one sitting (I eat ~1600-1700 per day; for reference, I currently weigh 130 and am 5' 2" and am on track to lose 1/2 pound per week until I get to my goal of 115).

Obviously, discuss any changes you want to make with your doctor/nutritionist, but I would also seriously consider joining this group and reading up on their methods of eating/losing weight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! You should speak to your doctor; every woman is different. I am 5' 8" , 135 lbs and was told to gain between 25-30 pounds and to be sure I am eating at maintenance. I use my fitbit and consistent logging to make sure I am doing this. I am 12 weeks and have gained 6lbs, which I think is from a lot of holiday cookies and treats. :)

I know there are many doctors who advocate that obese women actually LOSE during their pregnancy. It doesn't appear that you are obese, but you should just work with your OB and perhaps a nutritionist (they may have one to refer you to) to set up a healthy plan for your eating and fitness to ensure that both you and baby are getting what you need!

Again, congratulations!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Usaully any increase in calories is based on a maintainance type diet. Which from what you say, is not what you were doing before... Don't fret the gain, but start being conscious of what you eat.

I was also surprised by the "one big meal and then coffee the rest of the day" This is simialr to how I used to eat before pregnancy, and I was quite large. The problem for me was that I'd eat the huge meal thinking that if it's all I'm eating I can eat whatever and how ever much I wanted... This was really bad for me in many ways. A coworker was actually talking one day about how Sumo Wrestlers put on weight, and it wasn't all that different... Oops.

Anyway, when I became pregnant I became aware of my eating and my body's need for nutrition. Adjust you body to healthier well spaced meals, don't get hung up on calorie counting at first. Focus on the nutrition. With more nutrient rich foods they are typically lower calorie so you can eat more.

Good luck and congrats!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Who is "they?" I suggest finding a registered dietitian to help you develop a good food plan. Being and obese and pregnant brings its own challenges. A good dietitian can help you establish an appropriate plan to improve your own health while ensuring the baby gets proper nutrients.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US? Have you tried to get onto WIC? Plus their nutritionist would recommended what to eat as well...Not that your doctor cant but if anything seek a nutritionist as well to see what they say
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US? Have you tried to get onto WIC? Plus their nutritionist would recommended what to eat as well...Not that your doctor cant but if anything seek a nutritionist as well to see what they say

A good number of WIC nutritionists aren't worth their pay. OP wants a dietitian, not a nutritionist.
  • BonnieCaley
    BonnieCaley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have 3 boys - aged 4, 8 and 10 and I never intentionally ate any extra calories while I was pregnant. Best to stick to the healthy stuff, eat when hungry and listen to your body :) good luck and congratulations
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just ate whatever I wanted, mostly I ate potatoes. LOTS of potatoes. I didn't gain a thing except how much the baby weighed. Afterwards, I dropped more weight but when I quit bf'ing I gained eh, 20lbs! But talk with your OB. He or she will tell you what is a healthy way to not gain a lot of weight, and keep the baby healthy. :)
  • GSMITH2014
    Options
    I drink about 94.8 FL OZ a day.
  • GSMITH2014
    Options
    Thank you everybody for you comments!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    you do not need 300+ calories a day. I too am over weight and my doc said eat normally the first trimester, and 150 extra after that. If you are really heave you may not need to eat extra at all. It is recommended that overweight women gain no more than15 pounds when pregnant- so really just the weight of the baby and associated fluids. If it were me, I would just eat your maintenance number unless your doc tells you to eat more. The quality of food is so much more important than the quantity.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

A good number of WIC nutritionists aren't worth their pay. OP wants a dietitian, not a nutritionist.

Oh I didnt realize that dietitians help also with pregnancy's.