Hungry every 2-3 hours

Replies

• maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Absolutely! You eat whenever you want and forget about the others! I too graze all the time and eat my meals spread out over the course of the day.

This is why I can never do IF!
  • "8.30am - a bowl of porridge with half a home made veggie/fruit smoothie
    10.30am - a piece of fruit
    12.30pm - half a brown sub roll with ham and salad and the other half of my veggie/fruit smoothie
    3pm - Start snacking on some grapes "

:noway:

Lady, you are eating too many carbs and sugar. When you do that, your blood sugar spikes.

A blood sugar spike completely dysregulates your body's production of leptin, making production surge. Surge of leptin production then is completely ignored by the brain because you've basically deafened your brain's ability to read leptin.

Then your brain believes it is starving, because it can't understand its leptin hormones.

Your brain, totally believing it is starving even though you just had some sugar 2-3 hours ago, now sends you uncontrollable, irresistable appetite cravings.

Your brain also likes things stable and at the same level internally, so it is more likely to perk up and said OH GOD YES MORE SUGAR at the sight of more carbs and other sugars.

This whole process takes about 2-3 hours. This is why you have cravings.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    I am a grazer and have always eaten probably every 3 hours or so. I get comments all the time about how can I be thin and eat so much? But I know that they go home and likely eat a huge dinner plus dessert, whereas I tend to be less hungry in the evenings. I eat when my body wants food, not when it is deemed socially acceptable. :laugh:
  • QuietBloom
    "8.30am - a bowl of porridge with half a home made veggie/fruit smoothie
    10.30am - a piece of fruit
    12.30pm - half a brown sub roll with ham and salad and the other half of my veggie/fruit smoothie
    3pm - Start snacking on some grapes "

:noway:

Lady, you are eating too many carbs and sugar. When you do that, your blood sugar spikes.

A blood sugar spike completely dysregulates your body's production of leptin, making production surge. Surge of leptin production then is completely ignored by the brain because you've basically deafened your brain's ability to read leptin.

Then your brain believes it is starving, because it can't understand its leptin hormones.

Your brain, totally believing it is starving even though you just had some sugar 2-3 hours ago, now sends you uncontrollable, irresistable appetite cravings.

Your brain also likes things stable and at the same level internally, so it is more likely to perk up and said OH GOD YES MORE SUGAR at the sight of more carbs and other sugars.

This whole process takes about 2-3 hours. This is why you have cravings.

I assume the smoothie has protein it. I know porridge is has decent protein. Then she said she has ham with her lunch. I don't see a problem with her over doing the carbs or the EVIL SUGARS!
  • MTinaB
    MTinaB Posts: 5 Member
    I don't think you're eating enough protein. I have to have, eggs or a protein shake with at least 25 grams of protein in it, in the morning, or I am hungry 2 hours later, as well. Though your choices are great they also look very low in calories, so you can add a little protein in without causing your total calories to go over. Adding an egg to breakfast would only add 70 calories and a low fat string cheese is only 60 calories (great with fruit). Just make sure you get a little protein with each snack/meal and I think that will really help. Good luck!
  • QuietBloom
    I don't think you're eating enough protein. I have to have, eggs or a protein shake with at least 25 grams of protein in it, in the morning, or I am hungry 2 hours later, as well. Though your choices are great they also look very low in calories, so you can add a little protein in without causing your total calories to go over. Adding an egg to breakfast would only add 70 calories and a low fat string cheese is only 60 calories (great with fruit). Just make sure you get a little protein with each snack/meal and I think that will really help. Good luck!

Hmm. I had a protein shake with 30g 2 hours ago and I am STARVING right now. But that's just how I roll. :drinker:
  • shanerobinson81
    shanerobinson81 Posts: 4 Member
    Your post addresses one of the main reasons people struggle and or fail at losing weight - we are too worried about what other people think. The reality is we need to be accountable to ourselves. Who cares what other people think? We need to make goals for ourselves and strive to reach them. What you posted is a good plan and will help you reach your goal faster. Keep it up and before too long people will be coming to you for advice. If you cannot get passed what other people are thinking about you, you may bring some pre-poritoned snacks like nuts, fruit, etc. that you can eat without having to get up.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Have you always been hungry every 2-3 hours, or has it started since you have been running a calorie deficit?

My wife regularly needs to eat every 4-5 hours or so. I didn't, until last January when I started on MFP. Then I found myself getting quite hungry about 3 hours after breakfast and lunch.

However, by the 4th or 5th week, I stopped getting so hungry. If this is a new phenomenon for you, try gritting your teeth and sticking it out. The hunger might go away.

If you've always been this way, that might not work.

Either way, I would suggest getting more protein and fat in your meals. As damask1988 notes, they seem heavy in carbohydrates, especially sugars. If you want veggies and fruit, eat more whole vegetables and fruit and fewer smoothies; the blender breaks down the cell walls in them, making it easier for your digestion to extract sugars. Having a 100-calorie snack of almonds or cashews might not seem as satisfying as a 100-calorie smoothie, because it's smaller, but it might keep you satisfied longer. Adding an egg to your breakfast might keep you until lunch.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I have smaller meals (usually) so I need to eat every 2-3 hours too. But what other people eat at the office doesn't mean anything, my husband for example eats most of his calories after 6pm.

I agree with the others though, eat more protein. I rarely eat fruit anymore just because it doesn't fill me up as much as a Greek yogurt or a piece of cheese.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    I live no more than 5 minutes from work so I go home for lunch. I pack a bunch of snacks to last me the afternoon, but then by 1:30, I'm fighting the urge to eat the rest of my snacks. Then when I do, I'm STARVED by the time I go home at 4:30.. lol

Eat more protein, and stop worrying about what your coworkers think!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    I have a desk job and have the same problem. I just ignore the comments I get for eating all day, or eating lunch early. I know I'm eating better and thats all that matters.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    Sounds normal to me. My day is usually:

9am Protein Bar
    11am Yogurt or Fruit
    12:30-1pm Lunch (leftovers, sandwich or salad)
    2:30-3pm Yogurt or Fruit (whatever I didn't eat the last snack)
    5pm (after workout usually): Protein Shake
    7:30-8pm Dinner

I try not to eat after dinner but sometimes I'll give myself a treat and have a popsicle or a little bit of frozen yogurt. My hubby makes fun of me because on the weekends I have to take snacks when we go off because I'm used to eating often and he isn't. We're creatures of habit... if you eat often, you have to. If you don't... you don't have to. Eventually your body gets used to your routine and reminds you of it in hunger pains. (Note: I also eat less at lunch and dinner than my hubby does because i'm eating all day).
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    I don't think that anyone would judge you, and if they do, who cares what they think? Now, if you were eating pizza, chips, popcorn, and chocolate every couple hours, then there might be some judgement, but you don't sound like you are eating enough let alone too much.

I eat/snack every couple hours sometimes too. Especially when I'm bulking.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    I'm always eating but thats probably more to do with how fast the food i eat digests (normally 2 hours max) this maybe something you want to look into when planning your meals if you don't want to eat every couple of hours
    but yeah theres nothing wrong with eating often
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Oh thank goodness! I thought it was just me and was getting annoyed with myself!

When I'm studying it feels like no time has passed so after 2-3 hours and I'm feeling hungry again, I think "but I just ate?".
    I guess it's normal and because I'm aware of how much I feel hungry, I stick to healthy snacks like chopped fruit, salad or some natural yoghurt.

Stupid as it sounds, I actually feel so much better now!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I did not have time to read the whole thread, but first of all I noticed your meals have very little protein and fat. Both will help with hunger.

As to eating every 2-3 hours, that works for some people, and you sound like one of them. I can't stand doing it as I much prefer larger meals.

In terms of metabolism, all the studies show that how frequently you eat or infrequently, there is no difference for your overall daily metabolism. The idea that a bunch of small meals will speed up a persons overall metabolism is a myth that just won't die.

So, don't worry about what your co-workers think. As long as this keeps you eating at your calorie goal and satisfies you so you don't give up, do it.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 929 Member
    I would agree with the normal thing, and also with the get some more fat/protein thing. What you listed looks pretty high in carbs, and those calories don't always last too long in some people. A small snack between bigger meals with protein and fat usually works for me. Now pass the bacon and chippies... :laugh:
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    I do the same thing. I also work in an office, and I have some co-workers who hardly eat during their shift and then a few like me. I keep healthy snacks in my office.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    We need to make goals for ourselves and strive to reach them. What you posted is a good plan and will help you reach your goal faster. Keep it up and before too long people will be coming to you for advice.

Boy, is this the truth. Even the people who told you couldn't lose weight without following some arbitrary diet 'rule' will start coming to you all confused. "What do you mean you just cut your calories? There has to be more to it. What's the secret?"
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    I sometimes keep bananas on my desk, they go manky in the fridge anyway :P the nuts are a good idea but I have no self restraint so they'd be polished off by 11am as as they're so easy to mindlessly pick at.

It doesn't look like you eat too much to me either the food you just described could've come straight out of a healthy lifestyle magazine, so anyone who'd look down on what you're eating has issues ;)

I think I also eat more frequently than other people near my desk, but I think that's because most, probably have a more calorific lunch, the 2 slim girls that sit near me and possibly watch what they eat I've never felt judged by even though they don't really snack, but if they were to pass comment I'd probably just laugh it off (but that's because they're nice so can't see them meaning it snidely) If someone was being a d*ck though I probably would come up with a cutting/witty comeback (most likely 5 minutes after I'd left the office for the day driving home)

Anyway I think I'd be prising the keys off my keyboard and giving them a chew if all I had was soup or salad and nothing else during an 8hr shift.

So yeah bananas

I know what you mean about the nuts! I love them too so don't last long!

I tried bananas before but found that the texture didn't agree with me after a few days.