Micro cycle for muscle gain

Options
13»

Replies

• shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    What I meant by overlapping flow is that although your body does not completely enter a fasting state until a certain point or exit a fed state until a certain point, these are not absolute. Immediately following a workout, your body begins the reparation process and has nutritional needs, and continues to do so for many hours in a diminishing fashion. Conversely, after you eat, your blood sugar spikes and diminishes over the course of time. Even though there is an overly stability of our metabolism, there are still many functions which occur on a small scale which determine our weight, shape, etc. Everything you are telling me is the same stuff I've read for years. I'm aware of the conventional thought, you're not telling me anything I don't know. I'm not completely discounting it. I'm simply bringing up a discussion about what has clearly worked for me. This discussion should not be about the prevailing (yet again, still truly hypothetical) wisdom about hypertrophy, we all know that. It should be about what I'm doing specifically that works.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What you're doing specifically is eating around maintenance and doing a slow recomp. That's all it is. You aren't doing anything novel, new or exciting. It's actually fairly old, common, and fell out of favor with athletes and competitors because it's very slow and inefficient.
  • shmoony
    Options
    Possibly. I never claimed to be inventing the wheel. But it can't really be considered a recomp if I strarted with very low bf% to begin with.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Nevermind (considering OP's last thread on subject).

IKR? In for 'micro cycles'.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

this is micro cycles thread…F me, I thought it was the micro machines thread….backs out...
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Like me, OP has no visible body fat. Not sure why people are asking for evidence of this, when his avatar is right there.

:laugh: :drinker:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I am still looking for a real response to the original question. I promise I'm not trying to stir the pot, I am just very interested in the process.

If it is possible to eat a surplus for 6 weeks, then eat at a deficit for 6 weeks and end up with a gain of muscle mass while reducing BF%, why is it not possible to mimic the exact thing on a much smaller scale? Essentially the same factors are at play. You build muscle at a surplus, and then cut to a point where you have retained some but not all of the muscle you have built to a point where you are happy with the aesthetic results. The net result is more lean body mass.

I agree that it seems to be a much slower process than a conventional bulk / cut, but what I have observed is that the majority of guys (at least at my gym) are in a "perpetual bulk". There are very few people who ever actually get to the "cutting" part of the bulk / cut process. Out the, say, 300 people who I see on a regular basis at my gym, I can count on two hands the number of people I would consider "ripped". So I guess my point is, it's easy to say "I'm bulking" while keeping a constant pudge covering your muscles. The hard part is eating at a deficit and running on the treadmill. That's not nearly as fun or "manly". If there is a way to live 365 days a year with well defined muscles and consistant increase in mass, why wouldn't one try it?

You already answered yourself. It is much slower process and has to be so controlled that it is basically pointless for any significant gain.

Building muscle is very slow. VERY slow. What you are asking your body to do is jump from building mass (and you want only muscle gain) to cutting mass (only fat loss) within hours of each other like an on off switch. It does not work like that. There will be transition times between both states and you lose and gain both fat and muscle in each state. The conditions where muscle is being created is going to be a small part of the day and will not even be optimal then. You are never giving your body enough muscle building ingredients for a long enough time. More than likely only enough to just repair or replace what you used during the workout and not enough for anything new.

If an average guy in a large surplus for a long duration can only gain around a pound per month what do you think the guy that only spend a fraction of his day in a surplus is going to gain? Probably wont even get back what he loses the rest of the day and will be lucky to break even.

The second highlighted part....people have tried it. Lots of people. People that need or want to stay lean year round use it all the time. Actors, models, veteran lifters that have already reached their muscle gaining potential. Also some people just dont want to get "big". Totally legitimate reasons but they all understand (or will soon realize) they will not see any significant gain.
  • shmoony
    Options

this is micro cycles thread…F me, I thought it was the micro machines thread….backs out...

Do you ever have anything meaningful to say, or are you all snark al the time? Maybe that's part of being the man everyone wants to be.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The Rock and Hugh Jackman both put on massive muscle mass and got ripped to shred doing the 16 hour a day starvation and then cram a gazillion calories in 8 hours. Their results are amazing and fast. Nothing slow about their results.

Bulk and cut is also very manageable.

Not sure I understand the fascination with the topic when there are some pretty proven ways to get to the end state more quickly and more reliably.

That said, best to all for whatever works best for them.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The Rock and Hugh Jackman both put on massive muscle mass and got ripped to shred doing the 16 hour a day starvation and then cram a gazillion calories in 8 hours. Their results are amazing and fast. Nothing slow about their results.

Fast and amazing results must mean they did it natty
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Fasting means stress, which means amino acids are being NATURALLY mobilized and Growth Hormone and Cortisol are NATURALLY at high levels. Then eat after the tough workout for the Insulin burst and you have created a virtual muscle-making factory, as these guys have apparently found out.

That is part of the reason why breakfast is bunk.

Check out Dr. Hagan's "Breakfast: The least important meal of the day"

And is that supported by anything other than anecdote? Natural manipulation of hormones does little to nothing for body comp
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Fasting means stress, which means amino acids are being NATURALLY mobilized and Growth Hormone and Cortisol are NATURALLY at high levels. Then eat after the tough workout for the Insulin burst and you have created a virtual muscle-making factory, as these guys have apparently found out.

Given a choice between assuming these two professionals gained their size so quickly by the use of 1) anabolics, or 2) by skipping breakfast...

...I'm voting for #1.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I really don't have a dog in this fight, I know what works for me and millions of others, and is founded in science, so I won't comment on the OP's question.

I do have one observation though...

OP, after reading your various posts, wouldn't it help you make your case, maybe even just a little, by showing some pics of your progress? If my BF% was in the single digits, and this was mainly due to something that no one else is doing, I think I would be proud to show my before and after shots to substantiate what I was going on about in all my posts. Maybe that's just me.

Carry on... :drinker:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    OP, after reading your various posts, wouldn't it help you make your case, maybe even just a little, by showing some pics of your progress? If my BF% was in the single digits, and this was mainly due to something that no one else is doing, I think I would be proud to show my before and after shots to substantiate what I was going on about in all my posts. Maybe that's just me.

Lots of people have done what the OP did. It is nothing special at all.

Kudos to him for sticking with it that long, most people tend to move on to something else when they get sick of the crappy progress.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

And is that supported by anything other than anecdote? Natural manipulation of hormones does little to nothing for body comp

Still waiting.
  • davidrip1
    davidrip1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Kudos to him for sticking with it that long, most people tend to move on to something else when they get sick of the crappy progress.

I agree that what the OP is describing is nothing more or less than a body recomp, I was just thinking that if someone was this bent on getting their point across they would be happy to post some pics of their progress. Or at least a profile pic.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I agree that what the OP is describing is nothing more or less than a body recomp, I was just thinking that if someone was this bent on getting their point across they would be happy to post some pics of their progress. Or at least a profile pic.

don't hold your breath…OP had another thread where he claimed to build muscle in a calorie deficit and pics were never posted there either….