Weigh in?

Options
Any advice on when I should weigh myself? Weekly? Monthly?.

Replies

• Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily right now but weekly is probably good. I'm just trying to track as much data as I can for my weight loss journey. If I'm losing it also lets me know what I'm doing that does or doesn't work.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    That really is a personal decison. I like to weigh most every day just to keep track of the normal ups and downs of hormone weight, water weight, etc. I only record the weight a couple times a month. There are lots of folks on here that don't weight often, they go by their measurments and how their clothes feel. Find out what works best for you.
  • FitnessVixxen
    Options
    I am also weighing daily right now.
    But after next week will be weighing weekly (if possible). I am a weigh-in addict.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Only weigh yourself daily if the numbers on the scale won't cause you to get discouraged and quit. I can't weigh everyday. I plan to when I go into maintenance mode, but I'm still 22 pounds away from that. I think most people weigh weekly. Do what works for you. There are no rules on this. Good luck!
  • nmoore185
    Options
    Thank you. I'm itching to weigh in everyday but I've been refraining from doing so because I don't want to be disappointed if my weight hasn't changed.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm itching to weigh in everyday but I've been refraining from doing so because I don't want to be disappointed if my weight hasn't changed.

This is where, for me, weighing daily helps. Like yesterday morning I weighed 148. Today, same time this morning, I weighed 151. I know I didn't gain 3 pounds in one day. I can look at my logs, my sodium intake, my TOM, and I know that I'm OK.
  • Amandabelanger614
    Amandabelanger614 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh in daily....

But the key is really consistancy. Weigh yourself under the same conditions everytime...
    Like..

Before workouts
    Afterworkouts
    In the morning (make sure you've gone to the bathroom or not)
    Same time of day (so you have consumed the same amount of food/water)

Get the jist?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I recommend daily weigh-ins, with a huge caveat: you need to do some math to find the difference between your actual weight loss and the daily fluctuations, which are much larger.

Your weight fluctuates depending on water, salt, and fiber intake, and other factors having nothing to do with calories. Using an exponentially weighted average can help you filter out the noise and focus on the trend, as John Walker explains in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). The chapter on "The Rubber Bag" explains, briefly, the source of these fluctuations. The chapter on "Signal and Noise" explains how some simple math can filter them out. Walker explains how to do the math, but you can also set up a free account on his server to do it for you, or use a service like Beeminder or TrendWeight.com.

If you're going to be all "OMG! I'm bloated!" if you see the number go up by 2 lbs. from one day to the next, then daily weigh-ins aren't for you. Personally, I'm not bothered, because it's the trend that matters.
  • FindMyInnerAthlete
    FindMyInnerAthlete Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday although a lot of people frown upon it. I feel like it keeps me accountable and doesn't let me get out of control. I only track my weight once a week. My weigh in that counts is every Friday. I like to weigh myself when I get up in the morning and after I use the bathroom and I don't wear anything when I weigh myself either.
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options
    Add me to the daily weigher group- I <3 data. I only log weight/measurements on Thursdays though and this helps me see the over all trend. Consistency is key though. If you weigh yourself one morning after you go to the bathroom, then next time after breakfast, then one night.. it's not going to give you as clear a picture.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can weigh-in whenever you feel like. Whether that's once a day or once a month, it doesn't matter. I personally try to weigh once a week, although sometimes I go longer between weigh-ins. I'm in maintenance and eat just about the same amount of calories each day, so it's not overly critical for me to weigh anymore frequently than that.

I suppose if I step on the scale some morning and find myself up 5+ lbs without seriously altering my eating habits, then I might weigh daily for a week or two to see if it sticks and then adjust accordingly. I think going forward I'm primarily going to keep a closer eye on body measurements.
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've tried both, but have for years now only weighed in once a week on Saturday morning. I find I am easily discouraged and put off by the fluctuations of daily weigh-ins. I love the excitement on Saturday morning of finding out how I've done that week :) I think it works best for me and keeps me from being discouraged.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I pretty much weigh myself every day - but ONLY Friday morning counts and gets logged - good or bad.
  • nmoore185
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I've decided on once a week then gradually move it to monthly during maintenance. Thanks so much for the advice!
  • dawnee68
    dawnee68 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also weigh in every day, but record it once a week on a Tuesday. I can't resist the scales and find it keeps me motivated.
  • toad_allyinlove
    toad_allyinlove Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh in daily but it was very discouraging to me personally I drove myself crazy with it and started to feel to overwhelming.So now I weigh in once a week on Mondays. I picked Mondays because for some reason weekends I would lose control. This has worked very well for me ♥
  • annaang30
    Options
    I find weighing myself 1x a week is a good guideline and idea. The best way I've found to do it is be nude and get on the scale first thing in the morning. Also I recommend doing it on the same day and time each time you do it. I hope this helps.