Finding time...

Options
I currently work full time as a manager in an office, and I'm studying for the GMAT. The latter causing more stress than I ever imagined- standardized test taking is seriously not my thing. Anyways, I live a bit aways from work and I find that I'm struggling to make time for study or excercise and feel like I have to choose one as my nightly activity. I already wake up at 6:15/30 and really don't want to wake up at 5 to excersise or study... I'm not a productive morning person. Anyone in the same boat? I'm already stressing today, because I'm close to my calorie intake for the day and not sure I'll be able to fit something in this evening in terms of a work out.

Replies

• coachpryor
    Options
    have you found your why to help you motivate yourself?
    why do you want to find time to workout? whats the goal you are trying to achieve by doing it?
    Im a busy guy too. but once I found my why, ( which was improving at my sport of hockey ) I was able to find time easily. but if you cant find a why to do it, you wont find the time as it doesn't seem important
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well, finding time is as easy as you want it to be, I've found. I was skipping tv in the evening to workout since schlumping it on the couch isn't making me thinner!

I get up early in the morning because after about day 3 of working out, I got that lovely endorphin rush that gave me a ton of energy. Working out in the evening and getting that rush just in time for bed seemed non-productive. I mean, why not get up 30 minutes early, do my workout, and take advantage of the energy through the day? I'm much happier, feel healthier, and haven't had the "3-O'Clocks" since I started working out in the mornings.

I do also workout at home, so I don't have to do the extra time for the gym. If you're having difficulty finding time for the gym during the day, maybe a workout at home (30-minutes or so?) would be an option until your tests are over. I do Jillian Michael's Body Revolution and the workouts are 30 minutes.

Studying is tough, but maybe taking a 30-minute break during your study time will refresh you and give you a nice energy boost to finish up for the evening? There are a ton of YouTube videos online that are short and free.

Good luck on your GMAT!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Treadmill or bike with a reading stand? Not sure if you have access to a gym but my daughters college has these. You can study and walk or ride the stationary bike at the same time.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Prioritise things, and get done what you can. I assume studying takes priority over exercise at the moment, and if there is no real way around it you may have to put off having an exercise schedule until you've finished studying.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands at your desk. T25 or P90X 3 (both 30 minute workouts). "Not having enough time" is an excuse, not a problem.
  • agbva
    agbva Posts: 2
    Options
    First: a disclosure: I work for the company and owns and administers the GMAT exam.

Here's a suggestion: set a timer for 48 minutes. This will be your study time. Then do 10 minutes of exercise, using whatever you have available (stairs, resistance bands, etc). Then go back to studying.

This will give your brain a rest for about 10 minutes every hour (which is why many college classes are this length), and should not make you think that you need a solid 30+ minute block of time for exercise.

And good luck on your exam!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I currently work full time as a manager in an office, and I'm studying for the GMAT. The latter causing more stress than I ever imagined- standardized test taking is seriously not my thing. Anyways, I live a bit aways from work and I find that I'm struggling to make time for study or excercise and feel like I have to choose one as my nightly activity. I already wake up at 6:15/30 and really don't want to wake up at 5 to excersise or study... I'm not a productive morning person. Anyone in the same boat? I'm already stressing today, because I'm close to my calorie intake for the day and not sure I'll be able to fit something in this evening in terms of a work out.

It is a matter of deciding how important it is to you to exercise. If you want to do it, you'll do it. Getting up earlier by 30 minutes to do a quick workout is only hard the first couple of days, and you'll probably find you have more energy during the day. Can you work out while studying? Honestly it's really a matter of time management in that you decide what to do with your time. If you'd rather sleep than work out in the morning, then do that. How much time do you spend studying? Sometimes it can be more effective to take a short break, work out, and let the increased blood flow and endorphins give your studying a "boost".
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I am a full time working, 24/7 single mama, with 3 jobs on a very tight budget. It was really overwhelming when I first decided to get serious. Start small! I started with meal planning. Learning how to change what I buy, what I cook, what I keep in the house and how I teach my kids about nutrition. I started using youtube videos to work out at home. Check this one out, it's a great burn, and she has a bunch of videos ranging from 10 minutes to an hour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzVt3nKIQuM

Once I started figuring out how to eat and when to exercies, I started to find a gym that would be best for the kids and myself. I ended up joining the Y and have loved it ever since. There are days that are still tough, but if you don't break it down into small portions of learning and adapting you will burn yourself out. I have no doubt that you aren't dedicated, but you need to change your perspective and start looking at the things you CAN change in order to make it happen.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands at your desk. T25 or P90X 3 (both 30 minute workouts). "Not having enough time" is an excuse, not a problem.

So I share an office with my employees. The room is barely big enough for us let alone me doing resistance band excercises. I don't think finding time is an excuse -- it is a problem-- and I'm trying to find the solution. I'm even iirn to walking on lunch breaks, but Toronto weather has been less than stellar these days.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I have no doubt that you aren't dedicated, buy you need to change your perspective and start looking at the things you CAN change in order to make it happen.

this.
  • ils_1231
    Options
    I am a full time working, 24/7 single mama, with 3 jobs on a very tight budget. It was really overwhelming when I first decided to get serious. Start small! I started with meal planning. Learning how to change what I buy, what I cook, what I keep in the house and how I teach my kids about nutrition. I started using youtube videos to work out at home. Check this one out, it's a great burn, and she has a bunch of videos ranging from 10 minutes to an hour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzVt3nKIQuM

Once I started figuring out how to eat and when to exercies, I started to find a gym that would be best for the kids and myself. I ended up joining the Y and have loved it ever since. There are days that are still tough, but if you don't break it down into small portions of learning and adapting you will burn yourself out. I have no doubt that you aren't dedicated, buy you need to change your perspective and start looking at the things you CAN change in order to make it happen.

Thank you! You are right it is hard and starting small is still a start. Luckily my test is in feb ( third time I'm taking it hence the stress). I'll definitely check out this link at home later.
  • ils_1231
    Options

It is a matter of deciding how important it is to you to exercise. If you want to do it, you'll do it. Getting up earlier by 30 minutes to do a quick workout is only hard the first couple of days, and you'll probably find you have more energy during the day. Can you work out while studying? Honestly it's really a matter of time management in that you decide what to do with your time. If you'd rather sleep than work out in the morning, then do that. How much time do you spend studying? Sometimes it can be more effective to take a short break, work out, and let the increased blood flow and endorphins give your studying a "boost".

I'm at that point where all my studying is pretty well timed segments. The GMAT is a thoroughly exhausting test. You are right waking up 30 mins earlier is a choice, but I honestly don't want to wake up at 5.
  • ils_1231
    Options
    First: a disclosure: I work for the company and owns and administers the GMAT exam.

Here's a suggestion: set a timer for 48 minutes. This will be your study time. Then do 10 minutes of exercise, using whatever you have available (stairs, resistance bands, etc). Then go back to studying.

This will give your brain a rest for about 10 minutes every hour (which is why many college classes are this length), and should not make you think that you need a solid 30+ minute block of time for exercise.

And good luck on your exam!

This is a great suggestion. I'm timing all my problems at the moment. One month away!!! I have a stairwell next to my apt-- so that would be an easy go to
  • mccindy72
    Options

I'm at that point where all my studying is pretty well timed segments. The GMAT is a thoroughly exhausting test. You are right waking up 30 mins earlier is a choice, but I honestly don't want to wake up at 5.

You say you wake up at 6:15/30, can you wake up at 5:45? Get a quick 30 min workout in?
  • azbutterfly1324
    azbutterfly1324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with wake up at 5:45 or 6:00 and get in a 30 minute workout. I saw a quote that says "It's easier to wake up 30 minutes early and work out than to look in the mirror every day and not like what you see." You will feel awesome all day and after a week or so, your body will naturally get used to waking up at that time. To save time, I sleep in my workout clothes, have my workout shoes and equipment right there, have the dvd cued up so literally all I have to do is roll out of bed, put on my shoes (unless it's yoga day) and press <PLAY>!

I get up at 4:45 and I never thought I would keep it up, but I actually love it. I feel SO great when I'm done and it puts me in a good mood for the day knowing that my workout is out of the way and I did something just for ME today!. Even when I decide to 'sleep in' and do my workout later, I end up waking up at that time anyway and just doing it. There are lots of 30 minute home workouts that are challenging and fun: Jillian Michaels, T25, P90x3....
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options

So I share an office with my employees. The room is barely big enough for us let alone me doing resistance band excercises. I don't think finding time is an excuse -- it is a problem-- and I'm trying to find the solution. I'm even iirn to walking on lunch breaks, but Toronto weather has been less than stellar these days.

You have to make time. As a previous poster said, find your "why". What will you get out of exercising? More energy? Feeling stronger? Sports? You make time to shower, to eat, to wash your clothes, clean your house, and probably to call friends, go out shopping or to have a drink. Once you accept exercising as part of your essential weekly tasks, you will arrange your time to fit it in. Sometimes in small increments, but there are no magic bullets that someone can give you to "find" time. Sorry!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm a server admin and work an average of 50 or 55 hours a week by a combination of days, nights, and weekends. I'm up at 5:30 every weekday, so that I can get both myself and my daughter ready and out the door. She gets to daycare by 6:45 and I'm at work by 7. I spend an hour in the gym 4 days a week or so and am rolling back home at about 6:15 every evening. Yes, it does help that the gym has a kids club that she enjoys.

In the evenings after she is in bed, I study for my IT related certs. Currently working on MCSA/MCSA. Series of about 6 exams for Windows based systems. I'm through three of them now. I still find time for about 1.5 or 2 hours of studying each night.

As others have mentioned, its about what is important to you. I had a doctor tell me, that it's important to make time for you. Everybody needs a break from life at some point. I enjoy going to the gym, and have made it my priority. Yes, it does take time away from my daughter, but sometimes parents need time off too. Exercise helps me relax from stressful days, and gives me time to think. I'm able to plan my next day, or think through a vexing problem at work.

Sometimes, I am even able to study while I do cardio. Some of my material is written, so I can load it up on a Kindle, or iPad, and I'll read that while doing my 45 minutes on a bike. Not only does it help me learn, it makes the workout go faster as well!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    No time to workout but enough time to post excuses on MFP?? :yawn:
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Honestly, How bad do you really want it? If it takes waking up a half hour earlier to get it in then that's what you'll have to do. You can do it. First few days will be hard then it will get easier. But only if you want it bad enough. Find your reasons. ....
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    You could keep looking, but I doubt you'll ever find the time. It has a great talent for hiding under our excuses.

Stand up while you study/work.

Good luck to you!