Question about Barbells

Options
Hey guys,

This will probably be the dumbest question that I will ever ask.

I am getting back into weight lifting after recovering from stomach issues and I want lower the amount I deadlift (used to be around 90-110)

here is the dumb question....I noticed there is a rack filled with barbells in my gym (shorter then a standard bar) with weights ranging from 10-80lbs (the plates are not removable)

can I use those to deadlift? or are they too small?

I want to take things easy and not overdo it but I don't want to look like a tool.

Replies

• Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have used them to deadlift before. They don't seem to be too short for me personally, but when I deadlift with my husband we use a normal bar and add the weight we need.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you starting off at a weight lower than the standard 45 pounds? if so then yeah i would say you could use those until you work your way back up. you might want to use a step to elevate the end in order to give you the true ROM of a deadlift.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    The problem with deadlifting with those is that you would likely have to bend over too far to reach it, thus sacrificing proper form. I have my weights at home, but to avoid that when starting out I first put the barbell up on other plates to get it high enough. One time with that and I purchased bumper plates that were only 10lbs but have a diameter the same as a 45 pound plate getting the bar to the right height.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You can't really do a deadlift (full stop at the bottom) with those unless:

a) you have amazing mobility
    b) you set them on a riser

Try to find a 45lb olympic barbell, and grab a couple 15lb bumper plates.
    Anyone should be able to deadlift 65 lbs unless they have a physical condition, or excruciating form.

Or you can do 'stiffl egged deadlifts' too... They don't hae to touch the ground.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Use can also use dumbbells for RDL's. I started out with two 30# dumbells. I'm up to two 85# dumbbells, 8 reps now. 5 reps with 225# barbell.
    The fixed barbells are fine too as long as they are wide enough for you.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, but like others mentioned there are some form difficulties. I would try just the bar with risers to start. Or, try other exercises to strengthen those muscles first and work up to deadlifts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely use them.

They are not the best- you'll be lifting from a deficit- and it's much better to prop them up on plates or the aerobics stepper things (one on each side).

I don't like to- but I will in a pinch. or just go most of the way down and come back up... .depends on the goal- those are ultra light for me so I tend to not use them but if I do I work the deficit aspect rather than trying to think of it as a full force dead lift.

If you can use the bar to start and prop that up it's a better start for a lot of reasons-but yes- you can make do with the fixed weight bars.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    don't see why not as long as you can perform the movement as well as with a regular barbell
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips guys, think I am going to stick to the 45lbs bar (on plates) for now and not go any lower then that , last thing I want is to sacrifice form....cant wait to be able to lift 100lbs again...felt like superwoman lol
  • JoRocka
    Options
    thanks for the tips guys, think I am going to stick to the 45lbs bar (on plates) for now and not go any lower then that , last thing I want is to sacrifice form....cant wait to be able to lift 100lbs again...felt like superwoman lol

if you have the typical gym aerobics steppers... the oly bar + 25 lb weights and a JUST the stepper on each side (no risers) is a perfect height- that's 95 lbs- I think if you drop under that with plates- you need risers.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

This will probably be the dumbest question that I will ever ask.

I am getting back into weight lifting after recovering from stomach issues and I want lower the amount I deadlift (used to be around 90-110)

here is the dumb question....I noticed there is a rack filled with barbells in my gym (shorter then a standard bar) with weights ranging from 10-80lbs (the plates are not removable)

can I use those to deadlift? or are they too small?

I want to take things easy and not overdo it but I don't want to look like a tool.

I would put them on some plates of some of those pilate step things to bring them up more off the ground if you are going to use those.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    don't see why not as long as you can perform the movement as well as with a regular barbell

That's the problem, the plates are smaller so you start closer to the ground, not where deadlifts are supposed to be started from. They are fine if you prop them up so they would be the same height off the ground as an Oly bar with bumper or full plates.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah you can use them, but they're too short in my experience. Try proping them up with a couple dumbbells turned on their sides.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    check to see if your gym has bumper plates. they look like plastic 45 pound big boy plates, but are significantly lower in weight. i've never been in a gym that had squat cages that didnt have them, you just might have to hunt high and low for them in he weight room. they come in as low as 5 pounds a plate but sometimes there are 10 pound ones.

use those and you will get the bar to proper height for deadlifts or any other movement that starts with a deadlift
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned, but it came up in an older thread...

Make sure the bars of the preloaded barbells you are referring to are straight - not the angled EZ-curl bar.

This:
    modified-straight-bar-curl-308.JPG

Not This:
    Chrome_Bars_Olympic_EZ_Curl_Bar.jpg
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have bumper plates. They are usually colored and they have 5, 10, and 25 that the same size as the standard 45. This way you can deadlift with light enough weight and have a standard size so your form doesn't change or have to bend so far to get the bar off the ground.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned, but it came up in an older thread...

Make sure the bars of the preloaded barbells you are referring to are straight - not the angled EZ-curl bar.

meh- if they only have ezcurls- it's do-able.

it sucks- but it's do-able. I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal-

Edit:
    that being said- oly > pre loaded straight > pre loaded ezcurl.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    you should be up to 100 lbs in about a week, assuming no physical disability.