Steel Cut Oats vs Minute rolled Oats

Options
MorgueBabe
MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
What exactly is the difference? The nutrition labels were identical but everyone seems to favor Steel Cut Oats. I'm talking about the plain no flavor added kind.

Replies

• sonytomtp
    sonytomtp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    They have different cooking times for one. Steel cut (also known as coarse cut, or pinhead) oats have a nuttier, more natural taste I think. They also tend to have a firmer texture, but this depends on how you cook them and for how long for.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Texture.

Sometimes minute or rolled oats have added sugar. Check serving size as well because sometimes the serving for rolled oats is smaller for the same number of calories.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's the smug factor. Those that pay the higher price for steel cut oats get a smugness halo that follows them around. Nutritionally there is no difference
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I read that the coarser cut steel cut oats will stay with you longer than the instant/minute. Takes longer for the stomach to process don't get hungry as quick. I don't eat them so I cannot attest to the validity of this statement.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats are steel cut oats that have been steamed and pressed.

Thus, they cook much more quickly, but are nutritionally equitable.

Different texture, somewhat different flavor.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a difference in texture. I like both, but for overnight oats, steel cuts win hands down.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally, virtually no difference. I happen to prefer the taste/texture of steel cut oats, but I don't always have 1/2 available to cook breakfast!
  • OatFloats
    OatFloats Posts: 119
    Options
    According to google, steel cut oats have a bit of the husk left on them so offer a chewier texture and more fiber I guess. Rolled outs have had the entire husk removed with steam. I usually eat my oats raw, so don't know if the steel cut would be very pleasant that way.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are an American thing, whereas rolled oats are a British thing. Nutritionally they are the same, texture is about the only decisive thing IMO. However, instant oats are the carbuncle in the market and are the equivalent of baby food sawdust.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I got a thing of steel cut oats to try, but I may just go back the plain big container of minute rolled oats.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You can cook up a big batch of steel cut or rolled oats in the evening, store it in the fridge, and then just take servings out to heat up in the morning. I cook it with a cut up apple and cinnamon (you could even use some apple juice in place of water). This can last for a week's worth of breakfasts.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    Can I put steel cut oats in a shake? I tried some plain minute oats in a shake this morning and it was good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    slightly different flavor, much different texture. Personally, I don't like the texture of rolled oats...and steel cut oats take too much damned time...so I eat Coach's Oats. Very similar texture to steel cut but I can microwave them in 4 minutes and same nutritional value.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    They taste slightly different and have a different texture and cooking time..

I have em all in my pantry. bulger, barley, quinoa, traditional oats, quick oats, steel cut. lol I like variety.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Can I put steel cut oats in a shake? I tried some plain minute oats in a shake this morning and it was good.

yup- they just take longer.. I do overnight oats a lot

i like to put oats with yogurt, protein powder, cheesecake flavored sugar free jello powder, fruit and milk or water. It's like dessert. So freaking good ( can also mix oats with yogurt, a smidge of milk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and a squeeze of agave or honey)
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    To echo some others, the larger and less processed flake is less readily digested so slower/longer energy release and less of a sugar slump/hunger effect.

For those who don't get sugar slumps it maybe doesn't matter but makes a big difference to me. I make a habit of choosing things with a low-medium glycaemic index for that reason.

I also like food which isn't too faffed about with but don't buy it for any snobby superiority issues.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As far as nutrients are concerned, they're essentially the same. Steel cut oats are less processed and some brands are less processed and slightly more nutritious than others. Quaker steel cut vs Bob's Red Mill steel cut for instance - comparing both at 1/4 cup serving sizes, Bob's has a bit more fiber and protein per serving, it also has about 20 more calories. You can find a lot of nutritional info online if you'd like to research yourself.

Personally, I find the steel cut oats more tasty (slightly nutty flavor) and satisfying. As far as cooking time goes, I solved that by cooking up a big batch every weekend in the crock pot. Throw the ingredients in, give it a litle stir, let it sit for 5 or 6 hours on low and you're good to go.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's the smug factor. Those that pay the higher price for steel cut oats get a smugness halo that follows them around. Nutritionally there is no difference

Aldi's has them as a special once in a while. Very cheap and much yummiest than regular.

Cook on the stove each morning in seven minutes. They explode on me in the microwave. I can unload the dishwasher while cooking or pack my lunch for work.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a difference in texture. I like both, but for overnight oats, steel cuts win hands down.

I may have to try this. I have been using the big flakes but I like the flavor of the steel cut also. Might be a nice thing to try - thanks for the tip!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Mine aren't even more expensive.

I did like the smaller chewier texture- reminded me of grape nuts (which I LURV)... I don't like mushy oatmeal- but other than that- yeah- I don't get what the big hub-bub about them is.

It's oats.