any one try or eat a Paleo diet!!?

Options
124»

Replies

• Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Since the media is well known for being accurate, un-biased, and immune to financial or governmental bribery... yeah, I bet that report is 100% reliable.

*cough*

There's a whole other rant about how the economy survives off of sick unhealthy people but I'm so not getting in to that today.
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    There's a paleo forum support group on MFP you should check out

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/54-primal-paleo-support-group
    great thanx !!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I tried. I don't know of many people who are able to stick to it 100% all the time. Even Mark from MarksDailyApple puts sugar in his coffee.

My problem was my level of activity and type I love doing - endurance. While there are apparently some who have trained their body to run on ketones efficiently enough to do race pace type endurance, I sure didn't have the time or motivation to do it.

I also have some problems with the entire premise of that way of eating. But that's been hashed to death on other threads.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from diets that limits foods that are suppose to be good for you, like fruits.

That's an out and out lie. Paleo does NOT restrict fruits.

Paleo advocates eating REAL food - not manufactured food. If the food you want to eat can be plucked from a plant, pulled from the ground, or hacked off an animal, it is fair game - obvious poisons plants excluded. In some instances a plant item will require special preparation to be better suited for loud, i.e. soaked - beans, some nuts, etc.

I eat Paleo 98% of the time - often sticking to it 100%+ (i.e. the plus comes from not allowing any sweeteners at all, including those approved by paleo police). I am an endurance runner. I have even run one of them completely fasted with no ill effects and scored a PR.

My advice to you - if you want to ask questions about Paleo, avoid the general forums here. Everyone's a hater. Do your own research and make the decision for yourself. And if you want to talk about it, there are a ton of places available where you won't get so much negative feedback. There are boards and groups here specifically for paleo discussions. And there are places all over the web.

And if you want friends, feel free to add me.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've been very curious and interested in paleo for a while now but as a vegetarian, haven't been able to find a way to follow a vegetarian paleo diet and still get the right balance of protein, fat and carbs.
    I'm a crossfitter, training 8-10 times per week, so getting in enough protein is a big thing for me.

Are there any other vegetarians out there who follow some form of a paleo/primal diet?
    The only way I can see it working for me would be if I made some adjustments, like including soy products, greek yoghurt, beans/legumes occasionally and keeping my rice/pea protein powder. I realise that's a lot of exceptions but there's just no other way that I can see it being sustainable for me.
    The biggest thing I'd cut out would be grains, including mock meat products made from wheat gluten. I know these are processed and not great on any diet, but again sometimes it's just a struggle to get in the protein without eating 4 eggs every day!!

If anyone has some advice on how to get around 160g protein per day on a vegetarian paleo diet, I'd be super appreciative!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    US news just released a report of the best and worst diets...as evaluated by "experts". Paleo finished dead last in the ranking....

I get so sick of seeing this BS. The "experts" (who usually are not experts in nutrition or metabolism) think that because grain, dairy (as if pasteurized dairy has anything to offer!) and legumes are eliminated and that natural saturated fats are eaten in abundance that the lifestyle is "dangerous". If you actually were investigating new research (and noticing that many nutritional experts are starting to change their views) and not just the cherry picked crap from the 1950s to 1980s you would know that their opinion that the lifestyle is dangerous is not based on reality. The other issue of the way the diets were ranked considers how "hard" it is to stick with the "diet".

Some people can't grasp that what we eat matters; we are told that it doesn't matter from a million different directions... and then many of us struggle for years, getting sicker and fatter, and feel like failures because we are trying to moderate and count calories (but it's funny how missing micronutrients stimulates the need to eat and eat and eat until those nutrient needs are met....).

For me, I don't find it hard at all to live in lots of fat, meat and veggies. Ribeye steak, mushrooms fried in butter, and salad over bread ANY DAY. I accept that other people have different experiences and don't want to give up the foods I have given up, but if you haven't tried this lifestyle please spare the BS based on more BS when other people are asking for legitimate information/experiences.

OP: As likely already mentioned, join the Primal/Paleo support group. There are many of us there that will be happy to help answer questions and share our experiences.... where we won't be so ridiculed and disrespected by people who have no experience or say that they have "tried the Paleo diet" (if any of them tried it for less than a month they did NOT try it) when they did not. (No one I know calls it a "diet", even my friends who have trouble sticking with it fully still call it a "lifestyle" and are always striving to improve.)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Three pounds of almonds in a sitting is NOT paleo. ;) Just so you know.

why not...almonds are "Paleo approved" Besides, the point is that my buddy overeats...despite the super awesome magical powers of the Paleo diet, he's obese.

And if he's still eating like a moron (yeah, I said that out loud), he's still malnourished and will continue to overeat until his body is getting the nutrients it requires. Three pounds of almonds would not be part of any HEALTHY Paleo lifestyle. I've never seen anyone do that (maybe eat too many nuts and fruit but not POUNDS of it) and if I did I would expect to see someone that is very sick/fat.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    But really if you guys want to be paleo/primal go ahead, I would even support you in doing it.

I don't know why. It's not NEARLY as good as keto.

Huh? I'm keto AND Paleo. They go together quite naturally. And I skip all the processed Atkins products and artificial sweeteners. Bonus.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Just started Paleo this month, so I'm a week in.

I'm liking it thus far. My moods don't swing as much, I am more alert, and I don't get the crazy GIRL HUNGRY signals.

I miss bread and chocolate especially, but only a little.

(By the way, I'm doing very strict Paleo right now. I might gradually add things in one at a time to see how I might feel afterward)
  • saradord
    Options
    Its always how I start a diet, (thrid time on this weight loss crazy train) and I find it gives me that great inital boost and kind of purges the harder cravings at the start,...but I don't stick hard core to it long...cause for me it just doesn't work long term...and I slowly introduce more carbs, etc...
    I agree its a good way to give yourself a boost , like after the christmas holidays,lol
  • amylinee
    amylinee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My Paleo saving grace are the muffins and cookie recipes posted on paleoplan.com.

The choco chip cookies made with almond flour, honey and coconut oil are better than the traditional cookies in my opinion. If you are new to Paleo, these will help trick your mind!

If you are a baker, it is easy to modify the muffin recipe to other flavors.
  • saradord
    Options
    My Paleo saving grace are the muffins and cookie recipes posted on paleoplan.com.

The choco chip cookies made with almond flour, honey and coconut oil are better than the traditional cookies in my opinion. If you are new to Paleo, these will help trick your mind!

If you are a baker, it is easy to modify the muffin recipe to other flavors.
    Thanx!! I'm gonna make these tonight!!
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    My relatives did paleo and primal diet. They are all dead now though...

Billsica, not sure this sort of response is necessary. I noticed on other posts, you tried to sway others to another diet lifestyle. So is this what you are resorting to now? Claiming your family members died eating paleo? really?

You boneheads.

He's talking about cavemen.

Seriously, sheesh...

Name calling is frowned upon here. You might want to rethink your post if you don't want to get a strike.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I've been doing it for over a year now, and it's more about getting smart on food. And realizing all the crap you really do put in your body. I want to read wheat belly, but for me, grains do a number on my stomach, and I just do better without breads and pastas. So I substitute shredded zucchini for pasta and my son still eats it.

There are good reasons to not eat peanut and grains (anti-nutrients, etc), but you have to read into the science behind it.

My husband has noticed a huge difference in his auto-immune issues by eating 'cleaner' .

Peanuts, legumes and grains are not anti-nutrients. This has been debunked. Here is a well researched article that includes links to peer reviewed published scientific articles.

http://greatist.com/health/debunking-diets-paleo-pros-and-cons#footnote-node-1643-4
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Its always how I start a diet, (thrid time on this weight loss crazy train) and I find it gives me that great inital boost and kind of purges the harder cravings at the start,...but I don't stick hard core to it long...cause for me it just doesn't work long term...and I slowly introduce more carbs, etc...
    I agree its a good way to give yourself a boost , like after the christmas holidays,lol

I like foods that aren't paleo approved too much to cut them out forever. But I do always feel great eating paleo so that's indicator that its not a bad diet thats for sure. :)

My goal is to not slowly add stuff back in, but to always occasionally eat things that are not paleo that I want--like some chocolate, or wine, or birthday cake. You don't lose all the benefits if you're eating paleo the vast majority of the time, and then having something on occasion. If 2 out of your 21 meals per week (assuming 3 meals a day) involve something that's not paleo, you're still 90% paleo! My personal challenge is to stay within my calories on these non-paleo treats.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Honestly, how can a diet where you eat a ton of vegetables, lean meats, fruits, nuts, and seeds possibly be the worst diet out there? What on earth is 'unhealthy' about that?

^ This.

I don't follow Paleo because there are things in it that I am unconviced of (the elimination of dairy being one). But the demerits assigned for its 'ranking' were weird. For one, most of the 'criticism' seemed to center on the semantics of the name "Paleo" as in "You can't eat exactly like a caveman." Well, no. You can't. But that's a semantic argument, not a nutritional one. It was quite odd to me that they didn't seem to actually get around to going over the nutrition of the actual diet itself.

While, I am unconvinced that eliminating dairy or legumes is necessary... I can't say that it's actually harmful to eliminate dairy and legumes from someone's diet if they wish to. Which brings me to:
    Paleo advocates eating REAL food - not manufactured food. If the food you want to eat can be plucked from a plant, pulled from the ground, or hacked off an animal, it is fair game

It also seems that a lot of the criticism of Paleo comes from an assumption that it's an all meat diet when that is not the case. What some are criticising is a strawman idea of the diet that's not actually representative of the actual diet. Paleo doesn't have to be low carb if someone doesn't wish it to be. It does not eliminate fruit from the diet. It actively promotes eating vegetables. You can eat carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, kale, collards, celery, celeriac, garlic, leeks, onions, brocolli, asparagus, cauliflower, arugula, cabbage, brussel spouts, yucca, okra, eggplant, rudabegas, summer squash, zuchini, butternut squash, acorn squash, basically any squash, olives, {insert the name of any number of vegetables here} and so on as regularly as you want (depending on the way you're choosing to follow the diet, and there's a fair amount of leaway). It does promote eating meat, so it is fairly difficult for a vegan to go Paleo and meet the protein suggestions. But, still, there is nothing about Paleo that is inherently non-nutritious. You can eat a well rounded meal with all sorts of items in a well-balanced way and still be 'doing' Paleo. Again, it may not be necessary to eliminate legumes and dairy (I'm unconvinced that it is), but it's hardly dangerous to do so, nor likely to sabotage your health to do so.

I'm frequently somewhat mystified as to why discussion of the diet so often devolves into an argument about the semantics of the word 'Paleo' rather than the nutritional guidelines it promotes. There may be issues with the terminology, but the nutrition resulting from their guidelines is still pretty defensible (IOW, legumes may not actually be unhealthy, but it's not going to actively hurt you to avoid them) . There's little damage to be done by eliminating the foods it advises to eliminate (unecessarily or not). I don't do it because I like my dairy (and lima beans!), but I'm not going to say that it harms someone to not have it. While perhaps unecessrily strict in some areas, since when is a diet consisting of eating lots of vegetables with daily servings of lean meat and fruit a 'controversial' much less inadvisable thing to do?
  • saradord
    Options
    The combination of hormones and neurotransmitter that naturally occur in the body by eating the mix of beneficial fat, lean protein and complex low glycemic index carbohydrates you can encourage your system not just to brun fat but also give you more focus and energy more consistantly through the day.
    Everyone has their own unique biochemical individuality , not one will work for everyone, this is why I try to eat healthy to get all the benefits of my food, not just sticking to my calories and eating food that I consider to be bad. why not put food in your mouth that has benefits then to eat food that is conveniently adding up to your calorie intake.
    Don't get me wrong we are human and I know I do indulge sometimes.