Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Spinning Classes...Who has tried?

Julbella78
Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I have always wanted to take a spinning class but never had the motivation to try. I'm on week three of MFP and have been exercising (walking/laps on the stairs at work/jogging on the bleachers) and feel like I want to give it a shot. I signed up for a class tomorrow evening at my gym. I have no idea how long this class is going to last (it's an express class). I haven't been on a stationary bike in ages but decided what the hell and jumped right in! I'm sure I will regret this tomorrow but whatever. haha Anyway, does anyone have any advice for my first class?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    I do about 3 a week for the last 5-6 weeks, one of the good things about spin class is you can work at your own resistance. Dont try to keep up with everyone else till you get more comfortable. My best advice on your first class is pace yourself, its pretty intense, but once you get going the class and instructor push you farther than you think you can do yourself. Also tell the instructor its your first class, they will help you setup the bike (this is crucial for comfort) and avoid injury. And have fun, I love it, I did my first one and have been going every since. Its a huge calorie burn, I do 900-1100 an hour per my HRM
  • Julbella78
    Thanks for the advice! One of my friends told me to take a towel because you sweat like never before. Another friend told me that after the puking subsides it gets easier. haha I won't push myself that far but I know it is intense.
  • kenlc
    kenlc Posts: 11 Member
    I usually spin in 6 or 7 classes a week, and have been spinning for about 3 years. When starting out just go at a pace comfortable for you. A heart rate monitor is very useful if you have one, and then just have fun...:happy:
  • Serowland
    Serowland Posts: 17 Member
    Love spinning classes! If my life settles down again I will go back to my normal 4 times a week. You really burn the calories and sweat. I swear your fingernails sweat! If you can go get a pair of bike shorts with the padded bottom. Your bum will be sore but keep going. It really is an adrenaline rush!!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Thanks for the advice! One of my friends told me to take a towel because you sweat like never before. Another friend told me that after the puking subsides it gets easier. haha I won't push myself that far but I know it is intense.

Yeah you need one, I guess I take it for granted, my gym has towel service
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    I started spin a few months ago and I take about 2-3 classes a week, because of my schedule, otherwise I would do more! I LOVE it.

Yes, bring a towel, I swear even my eyelashes sweat!!! The first time don't worry about resistance or going crazy/standing up, etc. Just go your own speed. The first time our instructor told me to just worry about getting to the end.

Bring plenty of water!!!

If your gym has a gel seat, grab it and use it, cuz, ahem, the first time your lady parts will be sore later, but it will go away. I agree- tell the instructor it is your first time as it is very important to set up the bike correctly.

Since starting this class, my body is changing in an amazing way- hips/thighs/legs are getting leaner (although I have a long way to go!).

Good luck!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I lost 2 lbs a week for 7 months due to two cycling classes and no change in diet. I am now teaching two cycling classes. With cycling classes you make them as hard or as easy as you want to. Only you really know how hard you are going, but obviously the harder you go the more you'll get out of it.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    attack of the double post! and to answer your question, I love cycling classes.
  • Julbella78
    Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.