Your best ever money saving tips

Options

Replies

• anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Make more money. How to do that varies a lot from situation to situation, what you're comfortable with, what resources you currently have. Good avenues to pursue are picking up a second job, education, getting promoted, changing jobs, investments and/or a sugar daddy/momma.

Where can I get one of these sugar daddies/mommas that you speak of?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Nevery buy meat at full price. When meats go on sale buy in bulk and freeze.
    Split a wholesale membership.
    During the summer, shop locally at the farmer's markets or road side stands.
    When buying veggies out of season always buy frozen. Same with fruit.
    When fresh vegetables go on sale, buy in bulk and freeze. (make sure to use with in 3 months unless vacuum sealed)
    Learn how to can to make your own jams and jellies.
  • joandue
    joandue Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Pay cash for everything
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Make more money. How to do that varies a lot from situation to situation, what you're comfortable with, what resources you currently have. Good avenues to pursue are picking up a second job, education, getting promoted, changing jobs, investments and/or a sugar daddy/momma.

that's almost completely impractically advice...

the more you make- the more you spend- I'd say for the bulk of the populous- this is true.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    Live within your means.
    I spend firstly on my needs...
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Anyone cut the cord from cable? I have looked into that, just going to antennae and internet. I spend about $110 per month for freaking TV and I barely watch it anymore.

What would be the best alternatives?

I never even signed up for cable in my house. My TV is hooked up to my computer, where I can find *any* movie or tv series to either stream or download (for free). Who needs cable when you have the Internets & Netflix?!

do you people not watch sports?? okay fights ppv.. local pub.... but no more football?? i would DIE!!!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

There are websites for them now, lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    as soon as i can get all the live sports through another avenue other than satellite, then i will get rid of it.

it accounts for more than 50% of my viewing.
    It's gonna happen sooner than you think.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    please pick up the book "i will teach you to be rich" by Ramit Sethi.

a lot of these ideas are great to save a few nickles and dimes, but if you really want to save money and make your money work for you, i recommend this book.

Agreed it's an awesome book
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Mint.com is an awesome website for setting up budgets and saving goals. It is 100% free and secure. I discovered it in November and used it to help with Christmas and I have set new goals now that the holidays are over.
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    So I've had to start budgeting recently which is not something I'm accustomed to if I'm honest, but my supervillain lair won't build itself so I'm looking for your best money saving tips. They can be as weird and wonderful as you like!

This is what I already do-

•buy seasonal fruit and veg
    •search prices for big purchases online
    • use cheap alternatives to cleaning products (vinegar, bicarbonate soda etc)

Suggest away!

I use the Dave Ramsey Envelop System. It's AWESOME! I've saved $25,000 in two years. I stopped for a while, but I am returning to it as we speak! It was the smartest thing I ever did. I created a budget and then allocated cash for EVERYTHING....utilities, house payments, groceries......literally everything. If my electric bill budget was $50 and I had allocated $100.....I put the extra $50 into a separate place marked electric and just kept building up my stash. It was GREAT!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    So I've had to start budgeting recently which is not something I'm accustomed to if I'm honest, but my supervillain lair won't build itself so I'm looking for your best money saving tips. They can be as weird and wonderful as you like!

Suggest away!

I use the Dave Ramsey Envelop System. It's AWESOME! I've saved $25,000 in two years. I stopped for a while, but I am returning to it as we speak! It was the smartest thing I ever did. I created a budget and then allocated cash for EVERYTHING....utilities, house payments, groceries......literally everything. If my electric bill budget was $50 and I had allocated $100.....I put the extra $50 into a separate place marked electric and just kept building up my stash. It was GREAT!

I've heard burglars scout on facebook to see who's doing the Dave Ramsey Envelope System...so they can break into their homes and get that cash. Just sayin.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Buy bottle water by the case!!

Is there some reason your free tap water isn't good enough?

You can still buy bottle water, just recycle the bottles at home. A 24 pack of water lasts me over a month because we refill the same bottle from the tap, over and over.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Mint.com is an awesome website for setting up budgets and saving goals. It is 100% free and secure. I discovered it in November and used it to help with Christmas and I have set new goals now that the holidays are over.

I just found Mint a week or so ago. I love it so far. It really helps you keep track of exactly what and where you are spending.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    as soon as i can get all the live sports through another avenue other than satellite, then i will get rid of it.

it accounts for more than 50% of my viewing.
    I am very much a sports fan...WatchESPN using an older relative's login works great I've heard. Same with BTN2GO, HBOGO, etc.
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Suggest away!

I've heard burglars scout on facebook to see who's doing the Dave Ramsey Envelope System...so they can break into their homes and get that cash. Just sayin.

Interesting...good thing I am not on facebook:bigsmile:
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Anyone try Mint.com? Loving it.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Dont get an Iphone.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Start buying small amounts of silver/gold bullion.

If the economy crashes (and lets face it, it's going to happen at some point soon) you'll be a rich woman.

Good luck!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Anyone cut the cord from cable? I have looked into that, just going to antennae and internet. I spend about $110 per month for freaking TV and I barely watch it anymore.

What would be the best alternatives?

Internet and Netflix is what I have. There's plenty of other free TV online as well.

ETA: You can also haggle with your cable company. Went from $120/mo to $90/mo with more channels because we were "thinking about switching to Fios because of the faster internet". Don't talk to a sales person, talk to account cancellations, they have more 'power'.