Post Workout Drink

Options
I was told I should take a post work out drink to help hydrate, reduce soreness, and allow muscles to recuperate. Any suggestions?

Replies

• OatFloats
    OatFloats Posts: 119
    Options
    I had a large latte and a banana yesterday after mine and had no muscle soreness at all, even though the workout was twice as long as all the previous ones.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I was told I should take a post work out drink to help hydrate, reduce soreness, and allow muscles to recuperate. Any suggestions?

Water
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah water is fine.

There's a lot of broscience about the "anabolic window" and getting some whey and dextrose or whatever right after your workout. It's just broscience though. Here's the low-down:
    http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/53

"Practical applications
    In conclusion, current evidence does not appear to support the claim that immediate (≤ 1 hour) consumption of protein pre- and/or post-workout significantly enhances strength- or hypertrophic-related adaptations to resistance exercise. The results of this meta-analysis indicate that if a peri-workout anabolic window of opportunity does in fact exist, the window for protein consumption would appear to be greater than one-hour before and after a resistance training session. Any positive effects noted in timing studies were found to be due to an increased protein intake rather than the temporal aspects of consumption, but a lack of matched studies makes it difficult to draw firm conclusions in this regard. The fact that protein consumption in non-supplemented subjects was below generally recommended intake for those involved in resistance training lends credence to this finding. Since causality cannot be directly drawn from our analysis, however, we must acknowledge the possibility that protein timing was in fact responsible for producing a positive effect and that the associated increase in protein intake is merely coincidental. Future research should seek to control for protein intake so that the true value regarding nutrient timing can be properly evaluated. Particular focus should be placed on carrying out these studies with well-trained subjects to better determine whether resistance training experience plays a role in the response."

tl;dr eat enough protein and don't pay too much attention to when.
  • HelloFromKS
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.