has anyone ever tried eating Aloe?

samco66
samco66 Posts: 126 Member
Has anyone on here ever tried eating 100% pure aloe? i buy a stalk from the store, gut it, put it in the fridge and use it on my face every night, I have gotten amazing results BUT i have been reading that it’s also good to ingest? Has anyone tried it? Read the link below, if you wish. This isn't the only website in going off of; i have been looking into this for a while now but was wondering if anyone on here has tried it?

http://sacredsourcenutrition.com/top-12-benefits-of-aloe-vera/

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Don't bother. There's not much of anything in it and it tastes weird. Those "benefits" are full of misinformation.
  • samco66
    Don't bother. There's not much of anything in it and it tastes weird. Those "benefits" are full of misinformation.

How do you know? Im not saying i don't believe you but i don't just go of what someone says. Did you read somewhere that there’s not benefits or did you try it? im just curious.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    OP:
    What are some of the benefits you have read about and why do you want to try this?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

How do you know? Im not saying i don't believe you but i don't just go of what someone says. Did you read somewhere that there’s not benefits or did you try it? im just curious.

Won't go off of what some says, trusts some random websites enough to consider eating aloe.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

Because I do a lot of reading. First of all, the first two claims are verifiably wrong. Aloe contains virtually no calories and no vitamins. Something that is "high in fatty acids and amino acids" would have calories, because fatty acids are just fat and amino acids are protein. The rest is unproven nonsense.

The fact that none of the "benefits" are sourced to an actual scientific research article that supports the claim is a big red flag.

In general, nutritional "supplements" are a waste of time and money. Focus on the things that actually matter: food, rest, and training.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Regardless of nutritional value, I've tried it in drinks. Generally it's been mixed with things, so not 100%. It's "okay." You can get it in Asian grocery stores. It's hydrating, so there's a plus.
  • Achrya
    Regardless of nutritional value, I've tried it in drinks. Generally it's been mixed with things, so not 100%. It's "okay." You can get it in Asian grocery stores. It's hydrating, so there's a plus.

I mix it with coconut oil and shea butter to make a deep conditioner. Silky curls for days.

/kind of on topic
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    My sister buys aloe juice and mixes it with different fruit juices to drink it...not sure what she thinks she's getting from it though.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member

Won't go off of what some says, trusts some random websites enough to consider eating aloe.

You-said-I-like-You-gif.gif
  • oldantired
    oldantired Posts: 24 Member
    When I lived in the Caribbean we used Aloe to treat minor burns and it was very effective. Ingesting it is supposed to help with stomach issues you might have. I don't know if that has any scientific basis in fact. If you try eating it as it is it should cure you of every trying it again. The texture is pretty vile.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Aloe, because of its natural soothing properties, can be used as a natural stomach upset remody. My mother used to give it to me if I had upset stomach or cramps.

There is debated research on it helping it promote healthy bacteria in the small intestine. It isn't toxic to eat or drink...just tastes like crap on it's own and not mixed with anything, which is why most people mix it with something else to change the taste.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    That website claims you can change the pH of your body and that aloe will help you "detox" because it's a gel.

Let's just say it's not coming off as a credible source at the moment.
  • samco66

i said "This isn't the only website in going off of; i have been looking into this for a while now but was wondering if anyone on here has tried it?"
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    no thank you.

OP, off topic, but you have great eyebrows and hair!
  • Achrya

i said "This isn't the only website in going off of; i have been looking into this for a while now but was wondering if anyone on here has tried it?"

That's why I said websiteS not website. Plural.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member

right..thats what she's saying..you can listen to what another person says just as well as the internet due to people type "info" on the internet.:wink:

But as far as any results in detoxifying, clearing your skin or feeling refreshed. I'm only familiar with vegetables, water and soap.:laugh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR-ygLvtSzF_Wl-iUWb6CrnwtuctY_aXZ3muTut8POfxR9LU1ESg

I see these randomly around town where I live. Mor info http://www.examiner.com/review/review-of-okf-aloe-vera-king-beverage

My people eat something called "nopales" which is made from these
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgjl13_gz-IWszHb9_IMORBzearA9YCo6fBpn9dn_cYcXM2cM2ag

For both these reasons I would not cringe at it or fear it, but I wouldn't call it magical either. One of these days if I see one of those bottles and I'm feeling like trying a new thing I will try it. I will not expect miraculous results but probably some visits to the restroom since I heard ingesting it makes you go more often.

It seems like it would taste good as some kind of punch with like say cucumber and some type of sweetener maybe agave or something. IDK. It's whatevs to me as far as dying to try or fearing it scale.
  • samco66
    Aloe, because of its natural soothing properties, can be used as a natural stomach upset remody. My mother used to give it to me if I had upset stomach or cramps.

There is debated research on it helping it promote healthy bacteria in the small intestine. It isn't toxic to eat or drink...just tastes like crap on it's own and not mixed with anything, which is why most people mix it with something else to change the taste.
    [/quote

i h ave IBS and one site said it might help. That doesn't mean im going to trust it, i just saw it and will look furthur into
  • samco66

right..thats what she's saying..you can listen to what another person says just as well as the internet due to people type "info" on the internet.:wink:

But as far as any results in detoxifying, clearing your skin or feeling refreshed. I'm only familiar with vegetables, water and soap.:laugh:

i said i used it on my face and had GREAT results, it got rid of my cystic acne, thats why im looking into eating it..
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,363 Member

i said i used it on my face and had GREAT results, it got rid of my cystic acne, thats why im looking into eating it..

It won't hurt you. Try it and report back. For Science.
  • samco66

Because I do a lot of reading. First of all, the first two claims are verifiably wrong. Aloe contains virtually no calories and no vitamins. Something that is "high in fatty acids and amino acids" would have calories, because fatty acids are just fat and amino acids are protein. The rest is unproven nonsense.

The fact that none of the "benefits" are sourced to an actual scientific research article that supports the claim is a big red flag.

In general, nutritional "supplements" are a waste of time and money. Focus on the things that actually matter: food, rest, and training.

thank YOU that is exactly what i wanted, someone to explain. I said im looking into it, not " i read one site and now im going to eat it" people on here don't seem to understand that. Im going to look into it more so i can understand and exaplain better to someone else why its not that great or why it is
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    I eat aloe at least three times a week. My skin is flawless and I noticed I have a little more juicy juice during play time.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member

so it "cleared your skin" of the acne....?
  • samco66

I mix it with coconut oil and shea butter to make a deep conditioner. Silky curls for days.

/kind of on topic

i never thought to use it in my hair, thanks! im going to try it, my hair is dryyyy
  • samco66

Completely, I still use it to this day. Some days I don’t even wash my face with soap I just use water and then put aloe on and it works great.
  • samco66

Completely, I still use it to this day. Some days I don’t even wash my face with soap I just use water and then put aloe on and it works great.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    I tried drinking the juice but couldn't stand the taste. I figured if it was going to make me hurl from the revolting taste it kind of negated the "stomach soothing" claims for me. :laugh:
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    as far as I know it's a laxative
  • samco66
    When I lived in the Caribbean we used Aloe to treat minor burns and it was very effective. Ingesting it is supposed to help with stomach issues you might have. I don't know if that has any scientific basis in fact. If you try eating it as it is it should cure you of every trying it again. The texture is pretty vile.

i have IBS and i read one site that said it might help but im not really sure i still need to look into it more. It looks gross like snot lol so id have to mix it with something if i DID eat it.
  • samco66
    as far as I know it's a laxative

i saw that too thats why im not sure about it. I have IBS and i don't need any laxatives ha