Why am i not losing?

Replies

• RhondaA64
    RhondaA64 Posts: 1 Member
    Another thing I found helpful was to be sure to eat within an hour of getting up. I used to eat breakfast when I got to work but when I started eating before I left, it helped a lot.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Another thing I found helpful was to be sure to eat within an hour of getting up. I used to eat breakfast when I got to work but when I started eating before I left, it helped a lot.

Meal timing has been proven to have little or no impact to weight loss. For some people, breakfast increases concentration and focus in the mornings and decreases hunger throughout the day. For others it happens to have the opposite affect. Meal timing, whether it's 6 small meals a day, three meals a day, snacking, skipping breakfast, eating in an 8-hour window, or whatever, is all about what makes the person feel best as long as they stay within their calories and macros for the day.
  • So I took a look at your diary, and I didn't look at everyday, so just bare in mind I'm going off only a few days.
    I know some people tend to think that just a caloric deficit will help you lose weight, which in essence is true. But I honestly feel like you need to be eating foods that will do stuff for you to both stay full, feel good, look good and lose weight consistently.
    Onion ring crisps, white rolls, cereal bars (let's be honest, they're packed with crap!), mac & cheese, pork gravy and some other stuff that I will assume (as I am not familiar with some of the brands) are packaged and processed foods. I didn't get the impression from your diary that whole foods were being eaten. A couple of the days I noticed, you barely had 3 servings of vegetables.

Now, in saying that, it's also been a week. Not a huge load of difference can happen. Especially if your body is experience a change from say, eating 2500+ calories per day, sometimes it can take a while to change. You may find this interesting if you're just starting a weight loss journey.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/metabolism-massacre-7-ways-to-avoid-undermining-fat-loss.html

So I guess, advice wise, mine would be to be more patient, drink lots of water, try to add more whole foods and weed out the processed stuff, it's just not good for you.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member

I'm the same height as you and weigh less, and I eat 1800 a day to lose weight. Since you weigh more, you can definitely eat that much or more and still lose. Definitely increase your intake!

Ok I will increase my calories a bit and see if that works :smile: I think the overwhelming response is that I need to be patient, and I agree :smile: Rome was not built in a day after all

Also I agree with some of the others who are saying I need more fruit and veggies and less sugar and fats. It will take some getting used to im sure, but I WILL succeed

You dont exactly need less fats...Fat is healthy for you and keeps our brains going....Its the unhealthy fats that isnt good for us
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    after looking at the OPs diary, i'dwager a guess that she's eating way more than she thinks she is. a lot of the food measurements are vague at best :
    for instance

- 3 slices of ham are 69 calories? it doesnt even give a weighted measurement so how can you know for sure your slice sizes are the same?

- large white bread : there's no definition on what large is. a large can mean anything from a demibaguette to a full baguette
    - are you certain that the portion size for the hairy dieter's soup you are using is the same for what's been entered into the database?

and you seem to be relying on a lot of what others have put in there. for instance, did you enter the homemade pork gravy ? if not then how can you be sure your gravy is exactly the same as what you are choosing? and even then, i'd heavily side eye 64 calorie pork gravy
  • RASmith0185
    RASmith0185 Posts: 7 Member
    Try using the MFP Recipe Builder to get better info on any recipes that you use. Also - log EVERYTHING. I wasn't logging my coffee with creamer thinking it couldn't be many calories. Ha! That flavored creamer is loaded with calories. Also - what everyone else is saying about patience and about making sure you are getting enough calories - ditto - ditto - ditto. Unless you've had bariatric surgery and can't get in more calories you need to make sure you are getting enough or your body will go into starvation mode and your metabolism will be messed up. That equates no no weight loss.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Totally agree....add more water, veggies, and more calories. Also be sure to add some strength training to your routine. Buy some weights at walmart and/or do pushups etc.
    Well I read the article, and it would seem I am eating too many calories :ohwell:

Nonono, you are NOT eating too many calories. You are almost certainly eating too little.

Using this calculator, I estimate your TDEE at around 2379 calories. That's with "light exercise."
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

This means that your body is burning close to 2400 calories a day. You want to subtract somewhere around 500 from that to lose about a pound a week, or a little more. So, you could easily eat, say, 1800 a day and lose weight. I would strongly suggest you do this, especially since your tag line on here says you are "looking to get strong, not skinny." Eating enough will help you lose fat AND retain muscle, so you'll end up with the lean body you want!

I'm the same height as you and weigh less, and I eat 1800 a day to lose weight. Since you weigh more, you can definitely eat that much or more and still lose. Definitely increase your intake!
  • A WHOLE WEEK?!! Clearly things are massively wrong in the world if you haven't lost all your weight in one week. Maybe you should weight more than I week before hitting the panic button. Patience is your friend.

Clearly she isn't wondering why she hasn't lost ALL of her weight in one week. Geesh, rude much?

Right??!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Ok, this is just MY advice, but get a zumba dvd/app/ xbox 1/360 thing to start doing at home. Get a HRM. And start recording your cals. Work up to 1 hour in the am and 1 hour in the pm and you will see results. Look at my food diary.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    I use the Hairy Dieters recipe books and it is vital that you use the recipe builder here to work out exactly how many calories are in it because it completely depends on what ingredients you use (eg one of the recipes calls for 5 medium carrots, what is that exactly, what I consider medium might be large or small for someone else so you have to weight them, or meat, lean mince, calories will depend on the fat percentage in the mince).

I've actually found that when I enter it into the recipe builder here that the calories are more in reality than what the book allows for. Not massively and still low calorie good food and I use the books daily, but you just have to be sure what you are eating. Plus if you use the recipe builder it gives you an idea of all your other macros
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    On your profile it says you're trying to get healthier, which you are. By incorporating exercise and a healthy diet, YOU ARE achieving what you want out of this. It just takes time for the weight to fall and once it does you'll be on a roll. If you're looking to maintain motivation just remember that you are a more healthier you, than when you started and the only way is up! Good Luck!
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Hi there, I am new to this, and yours is the first food diary I have looked at since looking through the posts, ( felt a bit weird, actually!)but what stood out for me is the amount of processed food listed, which is generally higher in sodium. While your sodium totals were not listed as high, that information was missing for some of the foods. Just a thought, but I know if I eat a salty meal I retain water like crazy, and this can reflect a 1kg gain on the scales or more. Very disheartening. All the best for trying to make these positive changes!
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    I don't know this Hairy Dieters book but you mentioned it is focused on low-fat. If you want to stay healthy after losing your weight, it is really important to educate yourself about foods and why they are demonized. Fat does not make you fat, calorie surplus does. Try out 10% fat greek yogurt- it has much more proteins and alot less sugar than the 0% fat ones. See what actually leaves you with energy. I can eat the same amount of calories of a 0% and a 10% far yogurt and the former will leave me hungry, the latter will not. You will find your own foods and preferences after a while, which is also dependent on the workout that you are doing. Try not to exclude whole food groups because this is what you think makes you lose weight- educate yourself, and try.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    No; you haven't given it enough time.

No, you haven't exercised enough if you're already making excuses.

Eat cleaner, healthier foods, not high-sodium. Drink more water.
  • mcibty
    A WHOLE WEEK?!! Clearly things are massively wrong in the world if you haven't lost all your weight in one week. Maybe you should weight more than I week before hitting the panic button. Patience is your friend.

Clearly she isn't wondering why she hasn't lost ALL of her weight in one week. Geesh, rude much?

Right??!

Not massively rude. There's a million recurring posts on here from impatient people asking the same thing. What do they honestly expect after 7 days?
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    At this point I would be ready to throw in the towel. If it still doesn't show any changes after a week it's clearly not going to work. You are different from everybody else.
  • mcibty
    At this point I would be ready to throw in the towel. If it still doesn't show any changes after a week it's clearly not going to work. You are different from everybody else.

This.
  • cooky_monster
    cooky_monster Posts: 68 Member

No im not :frown: I just thought that because I have made some quite drastic changes to my diet in past 7 days, I would have lost a little weight. No I did not expect to miraculously drop 10lbs or anything, but just 1lb, or even 1/2lb!

Yes I know I am not exercising "enough" to lose a lot of weight, but im afraid I cant just jump from no exercise to doing lots of exercise. Which is why im starting off gently, doing some light aerobics and spending a little time on an elliptical machine. I know some of you may scoff at how little I do, but at least I am trying, and building up to it sensibly, rather than force myself to jog for 30 mins and cause myself injury.
  • cooky_monster
    cooky_monster Posts: 68 Member
    No; you haven't given it enough time.

No, you haven't exercised enough if you're already making excuses.

Eat cleaner, healthier foods, not high-sodium. Drink more water.

I am not making excuses :smile:
    I posted this topic for some advice from people who know more about weight loss than I do.
    I posted this topic to have my questions about my diet answered.
    And I posted this topic in the hope that I could make some new friends. Friends who could help me understand this weight loss business a bit better and be there for support when I need it.

So yeah, I only posted this topic to learn, and improve. Not to annoy people with questions that may seem obvious (to you).
    But thank you for the advice, you are right. I should be making healthier choices and drinking more water :smile: Which I am trying to do as we speak :happy:
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    I think maybe you aren't loosing because you actually are eating too few calories. I know it's weird right?! But even though you can eat 1300 calories and feel fine and not hungry, you body can think you are in starvation mode which means it will hang on to everything so you don't starve, which means you won't lose anything, believe it or not.

Try eating 1400-1500 calories and do light exersise 3 times a week, like walking for 45 mins. Give it 2-3 weeks and I bet you lose 4-5 lbs!