how often do you weigh in?

Options

Replies

• JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    once a week works for me. gives me that 1lbs-success that i need to move on!
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Frequently when trying to lose weight, infrequently when maintaining. Right now I'm losing, so daily or a couple times a week. Once I'm happy with my fitness and weight level, I won't weigh that often.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Daily, first thing in the morning.

I lost 35lbs over the period of a year working with a trainer. I moved, so I had done nothing for the last 9 months. The first 6 months of that my weight was stable, then my world got crazy (moved again, sick dog, family visiting from overseas) and I didn't weigh myself for 3 months.

I put on 10lbs! I was horrified!

Working out everyday to get back to where I was and beyond, but I'll be sure to weigh every day for that reality check.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and log any loss when it is sustained over 3+ days.

I NEVER weigh at any other time of day or after eating. I won't even weigh if I have taken 2 sips of coffee. I'll just wait and weigh the next day.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    My official weigh ins are once a month now. I was weighing daily and became obsessive so I made myself stop. I moved to weekly weigh ins but those were all over the place sometimes so I decided to do once a month. Some times I get curious and step on the scale before then, but it no longer determines how the rest of my day will go!
  • logtecbrad
    logtecbrad Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily just to see how I am doing... maybe skip a day or two. However I record and post here every 5 days.... :flowerforyou: :glasses:
  • joandue
    joandue Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I weigh in first thing in the morning and again at night but I only record once a week and always use the gym scale.
  • Elle_Coffee
    Options
    tracking daily on a spreadsheet might be a good idea...i think i'll try that. thanks! :)
  • christinepeterson505
    Options
    I weigh and record every day once a day in the morning. My weight fluctuates day to day, but I love watching the overall trend head downward. Looking at the 7-day chart can be depressing; looking at the 180-day chart is inspiring!

I used to weigh once a week, but it could be that that one Thursday that I weigh is the one day that week that my weight went up a bit. That just isn't very helpful. Also, by tracking my weight everyday, I began to notice that even if I ate the recommended number of calories, if I didn't eat the right calories (too much pasta; too little lean protein and veg) I wouldn't lose. It was very helpful to see the connection between the composition of my diet and weight loss.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different view on this. But I think most will agree weighing in multiple times a day is not good at all and very obsessive.

I read some research that says those who weigh daily (once a day at the same time of day) have the best success of keeping weight off.

Most fitness experts advise a once a week weigh-in. You should weigh yourself at the same time of day, on the same scales, under the same conditions. Record you weight and do not weigh again until the following week.

More importantly, however, is knowing and recording your body fat, the true gauge of fitness.
  • mollyjobeau
    Options
    Every morning every night for the last three years even when I'm not dieting. Need to check that I'm not going over 140
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Monday mornings, once a week. I used to jump on the scale every morning but the emotional roller coaster got old real fast. I also drink a gallon or more of water per day, so you can imagine the gains and losses I see daily.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Every morning every night for the last three years even when I'm not dieting. Need to check that I'm not going over 140

Good point.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Every morning, as soon as I get up and after going to the bathroom...same thing every day. I noticed I can't do it at different times of the day, as my weight fluctuates during the day. Also, when I am traveling, I don't weight myself, I only use one scale...again I notice deviations when I step on other scales (except for doctor office of course).
  • LRLemon
    LRLemon Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Every morning. I record each day's weight on a spreadsheet that includes a column that shows each day's difference from the previous day, with a weight-gain showing as a red number. Here's why this has worked well for me so far:
    1. I can see a pattern between "celebration days" and weight loss/gain;
    2. The accumulation of entries shows the real effort I am putting in
    3. I feel in control, even on the days that I show a gain
    4. I can view my "recovery" from personal neglect less emotionally
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Daily, but only because it helps my discipline
  • bjcfatty
    Options
    I find once a week is plenty! Lots of times I may loose during the week then when I when it counts I have gained, so just once a week for me.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    Once a month. Any more than that seems like part of an eating disorder.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Monday mornings until I get to my goal. Then I don't know. Maybe once a month or so.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yeah but it's important to remember that even if you don't lose anything on the scales, you might be losing something on the tape measure instead so maybe do both?