Weight loss and breastfeeding

Owenlemm
Owenlemm Posts: 18 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay everyone. I am down to the last 10 pounds of babyweight (50 pounds lost so far). My question is how to adjust my allowed calories to take into consideration for still nursing. Currently my goal calories are 1200 which seems really low, and to be honest if I only ate 1200 calories a day just doesn't cut it since I am starving all the time as is.

Suggestions?

Replies

• Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    What I did was create a exercise that added the 500 calories for breastfeeding and am just adding it in daily. They say I believe that if you are breastfeeding you need something like 1,900 - 2,000 calories a day. Also If you know that only eating 1,200 will leave you starving it is best to just up your limit because if you are starving your body will work EXTRA hard to keep all that fat on you!
  • I'm so glad I found this post! I am breastfeeding and I'm adding 500 calories worth of exercise each day as well. With my last child, I GAINED weight over the 7 months I nursed. I want to make sure that doesn't happen again and I'd really like to go ahead and lose this baby weight.
  • well breastfeeding takes an extra 300-500 calories a day and 1200 calories does seem low for a nursing woman, what is your BMR? and I would add 200 calories to that and keep up the exercise, 50lbs is huge and great! It is a common complaint of women as well to hold on to the last 10lbs because the body needs a little extra fat to produce the breastmilk, it usually comes off quickly after weaning, you should be careful that you don't send your body into starvation mode or deplete your body of too many nutrients.
    this link may help you http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

I have nursed both my kids so I do understand the position you are in.
This discussion has been closed.