Failed Experiment

Options
I don't drink coffee very often, but occasionally I'll get that 3:30 feeling and enjoy a nice warm pick-me-up. I don't drink it very often because I realize that I don't really like coffee. What I like is warm, coffee flavored cream and sugar. Soooo, I thought, why not add flavor without the empty calories by making a cafe mocha....by using a scoop of my Gold Standard Double Chocolate Whey Protein. Nerp.

If you've never tried it - it makes rubbery chocolate scrambled eggs essentially - no way to smooth that out. I guess the protein just cooks instead of dissolving? Yuck. I hear people use this stuff to bake with...is there any way to achieve a tasty cafe mocha with it? Do you have any nummy recipes for protein powder?

Not at all appetizing...
8KAQm7Rl.jpg

Replies

• tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    So, did you just mix protein powder in a cup with coffee? With a spoon? No wonder you failed. :tongue:

Here's what I do:

1 large cup freshly brewed coffee

1 scoop your favourite chocolate protein powder
    1/3 cup milk
    You must blend the protein powder and milk, prior to adding it to the coffee! (I use my blender cup)
    Tastes fantastic!

Give it a shot, let me know what you think.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    Yep...that's exactly what I did. I put a scoop in the bottom of a cup and brewed a cup of coffee with the office Keurig right on top of that bad boy. Blerrghghgh.

So mix the protein powder with milk and *then* add it to the coffee, eh? I just went ahead and had a protein shake instead, so I'll HAVE to try this tomorrow.

Thanks! :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    try an apple next time.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I make an afternoon "pick me up" by blending ice, as much coffee as you want, a scoop of protein powder, and Stevia or Truvia to taste. I make it cold in the blender, but you could probably have it hot by following the advice in the other posts.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yea, I make a mocha coffee every morning. Never had that happen. I do use a Nutribullet though. Never used that protein though but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    So, did you just mix protein powder in a cup with coffee? With a spoon? No wonder you failed. :tongue:

Here's what I do:

1 large cup freshly brewed coffee

1 scoop your favourite chocolate protein powder
    1/3 cup milk
    You must blend the protein powder and milk, prior to adding it to the coffee! (I use my blender cup)
    Tastes fantastic!

Give it a shot, let me know what you think.

I do this too, except that I use a 1/2 cup milk & vanilla powder. Yesterday though, I didn't mix thoroughly before pouring, and I got tiny protein clumps all through my coffee... gross!
  • masson24
    masson24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I posted this recipe a couple of weeks ago. Of course you could omit the peppermint oil if you just want the mocha without peppermint.

Created my own version of Starbucks "Skinny" Peppermint Mocha Latte and thought I'd share.

Makes one large 20 oz cup

3 cups strong brewed coffee
    3/4 cup skim milk (almond, soy, regular etc)
    2-4 drop peppermint oil
    1/2 scoop ON Whey Double Rich Chocolate protein powder (optional)
    1 TBSP Hershey chocolate cocoa powder

Top with 2 TBSP free cool whip

Add protein powder with milk and shake shake shake.

Add protein/milk, coffee, peppermint oil and cocoa powder together - stirring really well.

I don't have an espresso maker - so I just brew my coffee and microwave for a minute or so. You could heat milk and protein powder up in sauce pan and then add to freshly brewed coffee.

Top with whipped topping. Chocolate shaving would be yummy too.

Cal 147; Fat 1 g; carbs 16.5; fiber 2.0 g; protein 19g

Adding - Pumpkin Spice Latte using half scoop of Truetin Pumpkin Spice Protein Powder - YUM - topped with cinnamon and nutmeg.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting the photo of the results. I now no longer want to snack, or indeed to eat anything ever again.

I can't quite tell from your post. Did you taste it? I don't know if I'd have been able to resist at least a taste. Like probing a sore tooth with my tongue, you know, seeing just how bad it would be.
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Tagging for the recipes
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Tagging for the recipes

bump^^this
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yup I do this with my coffee everyday. I use 1/4 cup almond milk, 2 tbsp vanilla syrup and a scoop of ON Vanilla Ice Cream flavor. Mix that thoroughly before adding hot coffee.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This is my usual breakfast on lift days. little cold liquid first then slowly add your hot coffee,stirring as you go. I used ON too, so I can guarantee it doesn't always clump like that
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    b
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am so gonna try this tomorrow morning!
  • Jperez9513
    Jperez9513 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    how about just plain hot tea instead of coffee. Try chamomile or cinnamon.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I've started mixing in instant coffee crystals into my protein shakes. I only put in about 1/4 tsp. It works great. No need for brewing or hot water. Works best with Vanilla.
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options
    If I need some extra calories at the end of the day, I'll put a scoop of just about any flavor of whey in a few tablespoons of softened cream cheese. It's basically protein cheesecake. Mmmm, cheesecake. Not a coffee recipe but it's the closest I've ever come to baking with it!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I found my new favorite afternoon pick-me-up:

A half cup of ricotta cheese (I like the consistency of Lamagna lite ricotta) and a half to a full serving of International instant coffee- Cafe Vienna (a full serving has 80g of caffeine). It has 14g of protein for 195-230 calories (depending on how much instant coffee you use).
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    Thank you for posting the photo of the results. I now no longer want to snack, or indeed to eat anything ever again.

I can't quite tell from your post. Did you taste it? I don't know if I'd have been able to resist at least a taste. Like probing a sore tooth with my tongue, you know, seeing just how bad it would be.

You're welcome! Yes, quite unappetizing. It wasn't squishy, it was rubbery...I couldn't bring myself to taste it, it was just. too. gross.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    Some awesome recipe ideas on here, thanks guys! Definitely going to try the instant coffee in the protein shake. I'm curious about the protein powder in the cream cheese to make "protein cheesecake"...might try that one too. Anything would be better than my concoction.