Strength Training on a Deficit? Yes, no, or maybe?

Options
2»

Replies

• devodev44
    devodev44 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is the perfect answer.
    Okay, first, bear with me. I know I've seen this topic before, but I'm still confused.

If you are eating at a calorie deficit, are their still benefits to weight training/resistance training? yes

If so, what are they? getting stronger, improving bone density, retaining lean muscle mass

I've heard you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit, but you that can't burn fat if you aren't eating at a deficit. Does that mean one thing at a time? no

First lose body fat, then build muscle? still no. stop overthinking this and go work out

Or are there strength training benefits beyond building muscle? yes. see above

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? been there, done that

Am I wasting my time on the weight machines if I am eating to lose pounds?hmmm...that's a more layered question, but i'll stick with "no" in the absence of more information.

Yes, he nailed it right there.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You're already getting great info about retaining your muscle while you lose weight, while building strength.

All I'll add is that I waited to strength train until I was almost done losing weight, and I really really really wish I had started sooner. It is my single biggest regret about losing weight.
  • UndoneTwo
    Options
    You guys are all incredible. Thank you so much for the info and clarifications!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    This is the perfect answer.
    Okay, first, bear with me. I know I've seen this topic before, but I'm still confused.

If you are eating at a calorie deficit, are their still benefits to weight training/resistance training? yes

If so, what are they? getting stronger, improving bone density, retaining lean muscle mass

I've heard you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit, but you that can't burn fat if you aren't eating at a deficit. Does that mean one thing at a time? no

First lose body fat, then build muscle? still no. stop overthinking this and go work out

Or are there strength training benefits beyond building muscle? yes. see above

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? been there, done that

Am I wasting my time on the weight machines if I am eating to lose pounds?hmmm...that's a more layered question, but i'll stick with "no" in the absence of more information.

Yes, he nailed it right there.

You have been given the correct answer.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

My rate of fat loss increased significantly after I started doing just a few minutes of strength training a day. No need for weight, or to go to a gym. You can do plenty of body weight exercises that will help to maintain, or possibly, build muscle while you're running a deficit to lose fat. Just make sure you're getting plenty of good protein. I recommend around .75g per pound of body weight; this is approximately double the Instutute of Medicine recommendation for maintenance protein level, so it should be plenty to help build a little muscle.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    It actually is possible to get stronger on a cut unless you're getting to bodybuilder levels of body fat, just not significantly stronger. It has to do with neurological adaptations. But in general people will get weaker while losing weight. New lifters, people coming back from an injury, and people on steroids are the ones that can make significant strength gains while in a caloric deficit.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You can do both at the same time it's just slow. It's what I do, heavy lifting on a deficit, high protein intake. I've been building strength and burning fat. Admittedly, it's more weight loss and fat burning for me. But the advantages of lifting on a deficit are clear, you can at least preserve muscle while losing weight.