Want to support my dad...

Options
So, I've been trying to think of a way that my dad and I could go into a weight loss challenge together.

I've thought of maybe getting together and cooking a healthy meal once a week (and making lots so he can bring leftovers home to eat later- pre-portioned of course), but I'd also like to tie in a workout aspect. We both have dogs, so walking them together is always an option, as well as riding bikes, but I'd like to open his eyes to other types of workouts. He's definitely not an athletic type, so I don't think going to classes like kickboxing, yoga, etc. would be fun for him, nor do I think he'd enjoy weightlifting.

I'd love to support him in this journey- he's 63 and not getting any younger! But I'd also love his support in my own journey to become healthier, and I'd love spending more quality time with him too!

Does anyone have any ideas for stuff we could do together? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• kweede14
    kweede14 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to help my dad too. We live in the country so we usually just go for walks and talk about our goals and stuff we want to do, etc. We also might start taekwondo once we lose a little bit of weight and are in a little better shape.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Golf? I mean, it's not the most strenuous activity, but it's a lot of walking AND awesome bonding time. :smile:
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My dad loves golf! I however, am terrible at it.... but I guess that's an excuse to try more! We'll just have to wait for it not to be a million below zero to do that! :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Go SWIMMING! :D
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If he is up for walking you guys can go shopping or walking at the park. I was going to suggest swimming like some said or even water aerobics. I been to the class and even though I am the youngest there those people whip my butt.

That's so great you want to support your dad. I wish I could with my dad but he lives too far away. I wish y'all luck!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My dad loves golf! I however, am terrible at it.... but I guess that's an excuse to try more! We'll just have to wait for it not to be a million below zero to do that! :)

My dad would love it if I got back into golf. Though he has been sick and did suddenly seem to age. My dad is 67 and a healthy weight. He is also now retired as his illness made it hard to work. He isn't one to work out, but he knows he needs to do something. In his younger day he was very active and now his bone age is around 40. Not bad after all the drugs and hormones he needed in the last couple of years. I was talking to him and his routine revolves around 4 hours work in the yard in the mornings, (it's summer here so he gets up early) . This is gardening, including watering with a watering can. If he doesn't have to go out he has a nap lol. He grows a lot off veggies for himself and mum and his doing a lot of cooking. It sounds like your dad hasn't got major health barriers, but I think doing things like cooking with him, gardening etc might be really good bonding time and you can use this with your own plans as well .
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Golf is actually pretty great exercise, as long as you're walking (no carts, obviously) and lugging your own bag around. The average guy can burn 500-800 calories during a 9-hole game.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The park in my neighborhood has a walking/running path with workout stations with instructions stationed at intervals on the path. I have seen them at other parks as well. If you could find something like this, you could walk your dogs and stop at the stations to do the exercises. As you become more fit, you could jog the intervals between the stations.