Getting started again!

Options
I have been out of the main stream for awhile now because my husband died and I was put in the hospital with heart failure, had a pace maker put in and now my lungs are failing. I have got to loose this weight. I have not put on any weight sence I quit, but I have not lost any either. I am not able to excerize a lot yet so diet is my only hope. I heard that getting off grains is a big help. Has anyone out there tried that? Any help is welcome.

Replies

• Gioioso1
    Options
    Just a thought, but when you were discharged from the hospital did they give you a healthy heart diet to follow? If not, you might want to ask your cardiologist about one.....
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your husband :(

Talk to your doctor...grains effect different people differently. I have a friend who tried going gluten free, but finds she does better having a little bit. I think I'm in this camp a bit too..I'm sure I'd get over the 'carb addiction' if I really cut them out completely eventually, but for now I notice a bit of carbs helps me feel fuller, where if I'm eating just veggies, I can eat a ton and still feel hungry. That would make for a very dismal dieting experience, personally!

Can you shift from white flour to whole grain, may be one option...but I would best advise talking to your doctor, if there's any super simple exercises you can do to start out slow, or any dietary changes s/he'd recommend. Good luck!