Getting your calories in

Options
Hey all,

So I have a question for those of you who have been doing this a long time.

Here's my question: What do you do when you're under your calories for the day, but you're just NOT HUNGRY.

I ended my day about 400+ calories under, after all was said and done. I didn't want to end with that many calories left over so I had a yogurt. And I'm still over for the day but I really am just not hungry at all.

I realize a little deficit isn't a huge deal but I also don't want to disrupt the losing process by undereating either. So what does everyone do when this happens?

Replies

• fevre
    fevre Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If it's only every once in a while that you're so far under, it's probably not a big deal. If it's pretty frequent, try making an effort to add more snacks into your schedule throughout the day so you don't leave your body hungry all day and then eat a bunch at night. Keep a protein bar/hard boiled egg/trail mix or something in your bag and try to make a habit of adding in an afternoon snack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If it's an occasional thing, no big deal...when you're constantly eating well under what is already a large deficit, that's not good. Whenever I'm under like that, I'm usually under my fat goals as well...which is not good to do on a regular basis either.

Also, if it becomes a chronic issue, you don't have to stuff your face...saute some veggies in olive oil instead of steaming them...1 Tbsp is like 120 calories. Have a handful (1 Oz of nuts) sometime during the day...it's a tiny amount and about 160 calories (depending on type of nuts, etc)...eat some avocado...half an avocado has about 120 calories. Basically, get more nutrient dense, but also calorie dense foods in your diet.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it doesn't happen that often, but like tonight the thought of eating anything else is just stomach turning.
  • loserlee123
    loserlee123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Can't relate, that never happens to me! But I wouldn't worry if it doesn't happen regularly!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    If it happens once in a while, don't think it's a problem. If it happens everyday, something to keep an eye on. As in you don't want to go into starvation mode, metabolism rate reducing, etc.
  • cathyislosin
    cathyislosin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So how many calories do you try for each day? If it happens more often, may need to adjust it,
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat and have some cake later in the week. :)
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Liquid calories aren't that filling. Maybe a glass of milk, orange juice, V8 etc. would help you get closer to your daily goal when you're under, without filling you up too much.
    Anything that's a fat is pretty calorie dense and can help you get closer to your goal without filling you up too much. A tablespoon or two of peanut butter maybe? I don't know if that'd be too filling for you though.
    Olive Oil is a healthy, higher calorie "food" that won't fill you up but that you can easily add to your dinner if you know you're going to have too many extra calories leftover without it.

Good luck! (:
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I generally trust my body. if I'm under and I don't feel like eating, I just assume that my body has gotten everything it needs (unless I'm dramatically under-goal)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    So how many calories do you try for each day? If it happens more often, may need to adjust it,

It's currently set at 1,250. On days I exercise, I usually eat back about half the calories I exert. And I also realize that MFP tends to overestimate calories burned so I keep that in mind as well.

I guess on the whole, this isn't a "too often" thing, so probably not a big deal.