Issues with my HRM (sportline model)

Options
I looked through a lot of other topics about HRM watches but most of the issues were that the user did not have a chest strap...

I have a chest strap and my heart rate calculation works perfectly fine ... my issue is that I'm apparently to stupid to figure out the other settings on the watch.

I have a sportline (xs I believe...) , the 70$ one from Walmart- not top of the line, but it's what was given to me for Christmas and I am grateful for any HRM watch!

I've read the instructions numerous times, but I cannot figure out how to set my calories! Or the chronograph for that matter.

Can anyone help a girl out?

Replies

• befitlon
    befitlon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    hi! Celebrity!

i am using Polar FT4 watch that i purchased online - Amazon. It's a friendly user. You can also update the settings whenever you
    want to.
    Kindly check the photo in my profile.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have one.
    You don't setup your calories.. you have to setup your profile:
    Weight
    Height
    male/ female.

Then go to stop watch mode.
    Hit start.
    Now you should see a little hear beating on the display..
    Now I have the device check my heart rate.. Once I see it, I start Insanity..
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    You don't set your calories, you set you age, height, weight and sex. On mine it is done by pressing and holding the mode button. When you let is go the seconds number will start flashing. Press mode repeatedly to go through the time/date stuff and on mine it gets to the settings like height, age, weight and sex (not necessarily in the order).

As far as calculation of calories. On mine you press the mode button once and it switches from the time to a stop watch setting with all zeros 00:00:00. When wearing the chest strap it will pick up the HR on this screen. Just a note, it will start calculation of your calories, at least on mine, from the moment it picks up your HR. To start the timer, press the ST/STP button. To cycle through the various information displays press and release the RESET button. On mine the screens are the timer, then one that has a B followed by a time which is the time you spent below the target HR, one with an I with a time which is the time in the target zone, and one with an A and a time which is the time above the target zone. Next one is calories burned, then a screen with fat burned in grams, then one with the current time of day, and finally one with your max HR and average HR. Pressing RESET cycles through these. Pressing and holding the ST/STP button will stop the timer, and pressing and holding the RESET will reset all these counts as long as the timer is stopped.

This is more or less how mine works.

Mode will also take you to other functions that have nothing to do with calorie estimation.

I would suggest playing around with it once your have this basic stuff as that is how I eventually figured out the manual.

Yours may be different from mine.
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have set my weight/age/height, etc ... maybe I am just overthinking the steps in the watch.

I'm going to go grab it in a minute to see. I think I was just in the wrong setting ... I thought that you had to turn calorie mode "on"- instead of just making sure your HR was being picked up and starting your timer.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have set my weight/age/height, etc ... maybe I am just overthinking the steps in the watch.

I'm going to go grab it in a minute to see. I think I was just in the wrong setting ... I thought that you had to turn calorie mode "on"- instead of just making sure your HR was being picked up and starting your timer.

Yup, probably over thinking things. Just go the the timer, once it picks up my HR from the strap it starts estimating calories.